Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Least Favourite Album Or Songs

Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

Default Least Favourite Album Or Songs

Too many times I see threads that involve your favorite or best loved songs. Let's try and pinpoint what makes a song bad and if there even is any in Manson's catalog as we're all avid Manson fans (I assume).

So in here I ask, though you don't have to hate or even dislike the song/album you name, what is your least listened to song or album by the band?

I shall start off.

I always find myself listening to Mechanical Animals the less of any album. No, it's not because I think the album is bad, I think its brilliant. I just find myself listening to it the least due to it being less....fierce and overall agressive as some other material Manson has put out.

My least favorite song on the other hand goes definitely to Unkillable Monster. It's THEOL's only folly to me. The song is ok but with Wight Spider and We're From America being the bread positions of the sandwich tracklisting it makes it seem like a joke. The "how the fuck" part seems forced to me as well. To me, new or not, it is Manson's weakest track from any part of his career post Spooky Kids.

There's one song I cannot stand, though it's a cover and that's Highway To Hell. I don't like it at all.

Now people, can we get some real replies other than "I like all the work he's done", "he's perfect", etc.
    Last edited by spaceSuicide; 12-28-2009 at 09:37 AM.
    I use words sharp as a sword

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

The Suck For Your Solution and Mutilation Is The Most Sincere Form Of Flattery are two songs that don't do a lot for me lyrically, though I do like the music to the latter, I just feel it is a song that seems somewhat erroneous on EAT ME, DRINK ME at times.

Strangely, whilst I appreciate its placement on Antichrist Superstar and the video is excellent, I have never understood the utter devotion some people have to Tourniquet. I personally can respect the way it is written, and I love the idiosyncracies (Twiggy's relentless, lazy bass is fantastic), though it doesn't elevate the song to the level that some people position it. Those are the few examples I can think of, I suppose the components of an artist making them the one you enjoy or admire most mean that you will by nature often enjoy their work, but it would be stupid for a fan to assume that means they have to enjoy everything that is released, or that they are any less of an enthusiast if it doesn't always tick every box for them personally.

It's worth noting that these things do sometimes change over time, because I came in at the stage Mechanical Animals was released, and so high-concept and musical sheen were what I was immediately exposed to. So with that in mind when I first listened to Portrait Of An American Family, I found it took some time to appreciate what it meant and what it represented. After becoming more aware of the band's history, I understood and enjoyed the album more, but upon first listening it was an odd experience for me.
    Last edited by S.D.; 12-28-2009 at 09:39 AM.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

The one I listen to the least is portrait although it's not my least favourite, the reason I don't listen to it very often is because it scares me for some reason when I'm on my own LOL.
    I'm not sure which my least favourite is at the moment...

I'd agree with Nick about unkillable monster, I like the actual music of the song but not Manson's vocals nor his lyrics really.
    Last edited by AlcoholicArtist; 12-28-2009 at 10:51 AM.
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd59/Bevz91/AA4.jpg

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

I pretty much do like just about everything on the studio albums but on different levels. I'd say my least favorite song/cover has always been A Rose and A Baby Ruth, I never really cared for it.

And I do like Eat Me, Drink Me, but it's my least favorite album.

Follow absinthe bunny On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    The Suck For Your Solution and Mutilation Is The Most Sincere Form Of Flattery are two songs that don't do a lot for me lyrically, though I do like the music to the latter, I just feel it is a song that seems somewhat erroneous on EAT ME, DRINK ME at times.

Strangely, whilst I appreciate its placement on Antichrist Superstar and the video is excellent, I have never understood the utter devotion some people have to Tourniquet. I personally can respect the way it is written, and I love the idiosyncracies (Twiggy's relentless, lazy bass is fantastic), though it doesn't elevate the song to the level that some people position it. Those are the few examples I can think of, I suppose the components of an artist making them the one you enjoy or admire most mean that you will by nature often enjoy their work, but it would be stupid for a fan to assume that means they have to enjoy everything that is released, or that they are any less of an enthusiast if it doesn't always tick every box for them personally.

It's worth noting that these things do sometimes change over time, because I came in at the stage Mechanical Animals was released, and so high-concept and musical sheen were what I was immediately exposed to. So with that in mind when I first listened to Portrait Of An American Family, I found it took some time to appreciate what it meant and what it represented. After becoming more aware of the band's history, I understood and enjoyed the album more, but upon first listening it was an odd experience for me.
    I agree on "Mutilation...", it's a track that doesn't fit the concept of the album and lyrically it's disappointing. I would expect MM to use amore intellectual way to throw musical mud at a band he considers a cheap MM copycat.
    NEW WEBSITE LAYOUT UPLOADED 22/09/2013:

I never listen to Personal Jesus, for me it doesn't bring anything new to the table. Other than that, I skip Wormboy lots, doesn't really do anything to me.

I hate Mutilation... I cannot listen to it.

As far as "hate", the only MM song he has ever done or covered that I just can't stand is "Mind of a Lunatic". I think is the only terrible thing I can find in the band's whole catalogue.

But, in terms of the album and songs that I listen to the least: The Golden Age Of Grotesque. I don't think it's a bad album at all; is just that I have to be in the right mood in order to blast it and enjoy it. And, of course, I play all the other albums more than that one.

And about songs, well, I tend to skip "Snake Eyes And Sissies", "Wormboy", "Vodevil", "Are you the rabbit" & "Wight Spider" quite often. No to mention that I barely never listen to the Spooky Kids-era songs, and sometimes I also skip stuff like the "Sick City" and "Suicide Is Painless" covers.

But hey!! Nobody's perfect, right?

Least faves would probably be Vodevil (Though I do like the "THIS ISN'T MUSIC..." line, the rest of the song is garbage) and You Me and the Devil Makes 3. EMDM least favorite album (surprise!)

Don't think there's really any Manson songs I HATE. I kept them all on my ipod and don't generally skip any.

Without sounding like kissing Marilyn Manson's ass, I must say that not only do I absolutely LOVE everything he has put out, but I also love them all EQUALLY!

Let me explain:

Keep in mind, this is just an opinion...some of you may find a similar appreciation as I do, but here it goes....

Some bands are just one hit wonders. Other bands put out AMAZING things...but's it's still clear that one album or song is better than the rest. There is nothing wrong with this. Manson on the other hand (to me) has only put out amazing things, and it is NOT clear if one is better or worse than the rest.

My two favourite bands are Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson. I love them equally for polar opposite reasons. I have loved EVERY single album and song that Zombie put out. I know he got a lot of bad reviews for Educated Horses....I personally love the record. I find that lately im listening to that more than his other shit....However, it is still clear to me that Hellbilly Deluxe is his best work. It just it. There is something about it that takes it a notch higher in some way....Again...I havnt even listened to it in forever...but I still know the answer to the question...

Twisted Sister is the same way. Clearly, Stay Hungry is their best album. I don't know why. Most of the bands that I love are like that---They have that 1 album that is just God-equivalent....even if everything else is beyond fucking phenomenal.

With Manson....and I think a big part of it is that he always has a story or some sort of underlying message (whether philosophical or emotional/personal) that just draws me in. It also makes it hard to say whats better or worse from Manson because EVERY record sounds COMPLETELY different (to me) and then you could say that the topics or "concepts" is where the goal in choosing what is better or worse comes in....I like all of those equal too.

I just cannot say that Omega or the Arch Dandy was better....Or Wormboy....they are all equal. The High End Of Low IS really a movie soundtrack to me...

I dont really know where this is going. I think what it comes down to is that the other bands I mentioned all have kept the same "sound" over the years. Zombie always uses the same basic formula for his songs....and it works tremendously, I might add. But Sinister Urge really is similar to Hellbilly...and even Educated Horses has similarities....a lot of the same techniques. This is not good or bad. I want to add that there is no right or wrong way and if its done well, any album can be good, even with just regurgitated ideas. I really liked Educated Horses ...but in a very different way than I like Hellbilly. It feels almost like a different band. Not to say that is good either....You want want your favourite band to retain elements in their music that made you fall in love with them to begin with...and it is there in Educated Horses too...but just in a different way. And I love it.

Manson just never keeps the same sound, so each and every album lives up and stands on its own. It's hard for me to say that this song or album was the best or worst. They are all equal to me, for good or for bad.

....not sure if all of that made sense....let me know what you think?