Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Heart Beats

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Default The Heart Beats

There is plenty more to add under this title, I'm sure it'll branch out into other areas as well, but I read a topic at Babalon, and the old banner from Manson's MySpace was saved there, which prompted me to make this comparison. I don't think anyone ever considered it outside of a music program, but seeing it again made me think:-

"TWO HEARTBEATS AHEAD IN HELL"

The first part of the image is obviously from the EAT ME, DRINK ME booklet, on the lyric sheet for They Said That Hell's Not Hot. I hadn't considered it as displaying two heartbeats before now.
    Doppelherz, Heart-Shaped Glasses, Les Fleurs Du Mals, Manson's eyes on the final pages of EAT ME, DRINK ME, the very duality of 'Marilyn Manson', "Et Cetera". It all seems to follow this pattern, these two hearts "crossed", A Hole Where The Heart Is, Stigmata on heart-guided hands - The Celebritarian Doublecross - it all becomes binary eventually.
    I even wondered if the beeping sound that you can hear at the end of Pretty As A Swastika was a hospital heart monitor. I suppose even that song itself has its own duality, as there were two versions of it recorded for The High End Of Low. That heart monitor sound reminds me of the beeping from the EAT ME, DRINK ME incarnation of MarilynManson.com also. And please correct me if wrong, but was one of the background projections for The Rape Of The World tour a heart monitor with MM flashing in the lines? I swear I have seen that aesthetic, I just can't find a picture of it in any of my albums.

Another idea I've been thinking about for some time now is related to Use Your Fist Not Your Mouth. In the song, Manson says "Since God thinks I don't exist The Beatings happen Per Minute". I think due to the supposed "violence" of the song's title, most people assumed that to be a reference to beatings in the conflict sense, but whenever I hear it, I always draw the conclusion that he means heartbeats again, the medical acronym BPM standing for "Beats Per Minute" when monitoring patient heart rates. I think the lyric is supposed to imply that when Manson knows he is Godless, his art is most fervent, his "heart" beats more frequently.

Anyway, I have a few more ideas to add, but I hope this is of some substance.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

Manson always seems to reference things in twos and in 15.
    I use words sharp as a sword

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

Here is the Heart Beat M's from the Rape of the World tour. Video by Hazekiah, I knew he had them recorded, you can see them at the start, but about a minute into it you get a great shot of it.

forgotten about that image that headed the myspace page, ... wasn't it one of the first things that was released for the album?

great strong associations you make!

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Thank you Norsefire (and Hazekiah, by default!). I knew I had seen that somewhere, I think it might even have been that video in fact, I remember thinking it was an excellent rendition of Car Crash. I also like the fact that the MM isn't necessarily overt on the screen, it isn't like a known Manson typography flashes up in there, but the natural audience reaction is that they are supposed to see the double M. I also thought that if it's like Manson is in the heartbeat of his audience, or who he sings to, then that reflects the lyric from Leave A Scar: "I'm moving fast and if I stay inside your heart, I'm certain this will be the end of your life." The way I interpret this, it's him saying that he'll change your perception of art, your "life" will end, because in the Alchemical sense, if something ends then it must be reborn, most overtly stated in The Fall Of Adam and If I Was Your Vampire.

In response to Nick, agreed, and I think generally the 15 is referenced as a singular, like it just represents Manson on its own and cannot be changed, which I suppose makes sense considering you cannot divide it by two. It's like saying the two halves of Marilyn Manson always make a whole and cannot be separated. But yes, other things are often referenced in twos, and also threes as well, they've been significant for a long time, the three monkeys, the three sections of The Tryptych (and three parts to Antichrist Superstar), Trismegistus, et al.

A few other ideas... If you listen to Devour, this seems a bit obvious to note, but at some points the bass sounds exactly like a heartbeat, mostly during the chorus of "And I'll love you...". I think this is intentional. I also wonder if there is a relationship between "I will blow your heart to pieces" / "Let me show you where it hurts" / "I'm more like a silver bullet".

One other thing I had considered was that the notion of "Doppelherz" and Mar1lyn Man5on was perhaps explored on Holy Wood as well. Coma Black is the 15th track on the album, and it has two parts, both of which discuss the heart, one male, another female:-

"My Heart's A Tiny Bloodclot" / "Her Heart's A Bloodstained Egg"
    THE ANDROGYNE

So in relation to what I said before about 15 being the singular, perhaps that is why. The Doppelherz represents 15, as does The Androgyne, the inherent character of Marilyn Manson, comprised of two parts/hearts that you cannot separate. That concept is hardly new, but it's nice to find different ways of looking at it.
    Also yes, Tim, that banner was there for some time, a lot of people were trying to dissect it, seeing if they could work out what the two lines might be musically, but in the end I think it was forgotten. It's nice to perhaps find meaning in it later on down the road.
    the LORD god had made
    "

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I'd also like to mention that the drums in Heart-Shaped Glasses were intentionally written to sound like a heart beat. But I'm much more fascinated by the first two pictures in this thread... what happened on 07/16/1991 06:01:46PM at St. Vincent Hospital, and has anybody tried to apply the music graph?

9. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Your keen eye might have unearthed something interesting there Favenris...

In the EAT ME, DRINK ME thread here, I tried to get (as best I could) all of the partially hidden text down from the album booklet, and we found that some of it had brief snippets that were similar to lyrics from The High End Of Low. Though in that thread, I had the date down as 03/17/1997 (it's definitely 1997, not 1991), but looking at it again the first part does look more likely it could be 7/16 and not 3/17. On that basis, I have no idea what might have occurred on the date, though it changes the perspective, as in March 1997 the band were on tour, but there were no scheduled shows in the first half of July. They played San Bernardinio on the 29th of June that year, and there was apparently a gap right up until the 23rd of July, when they did Vancouver in Canada...

So according to the chart, if read with the day and month as you're seeing it, something occurred causing Manson to be treated at a St. Vincent Medical Centre in that time period. That still doesn't answer the question of whether it is intrinsically linked to They Said That Hell's Not Hot or the album as a whole) in any way, but it's an interesting development in any case...

Here are the US-based St. Vincent Centres, I think we can assume it was in the US in that brief space between being in California and Canada:-

http://www.stvincents.org/ - Bridgeport Connecticut
    http://www.svcmc.org/landing.cfm?id=32 - Manhattan, New York
    http://www.svcmc.org/landing.cfm?id=33 - Westchester, New York
    http://www.providence.org/Oregon/fac...nce_st_vincent - Portland, Oregon
    http://www.stvincenthospital.com/Home.aspx - Worcester, Massachusetts
    http://www.stvincentmedicalcenter.co...s/default.aspx - Los Angeles, California
    the LORD god had made
    "

11. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Since I think They Said Hell's Not Hot is about suicide, it might have been a failed attempt. Or maybe something having to do with his girlfriend at the time.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

1/0=

1/1=1

2/1=2

3/2=1.5

5/3=1.666..

8/5=1.6

13/8=1.625

Other than the EKG charts, and corresponding codes that I'll let you "Who's" decipher and find relevance in. I've also looked at it from the aspect of "two heartbeats ahead in Hell" as him possibly referring to decades. "Every Generation thinks that it's the last."

Marilyn Manson has referred to "AntI SVper Star" as more of a "personal apocalypse", as well as he did with "Eat Me Drink Me." With each album that succeded each apocalypse symbolizing a rebirth of some kind. Whether if it is Manson beginning to feel more Human than an ape, or a rebellious psuedo Satan, or if it is himself finding something else to believe in, a new place to grow, another world to start over and end with ETC...

We've been driving on E..TC, Ex ToxCins, ExsTaCy....*wink
    Last edited by Shangri-LIE; 03-14-2010 at 06:38 PM.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Favenris View Post
    I'd also like to mention that the drums in Heart-Shaped Glasses were intentionally written to sound like a heart beat. But I'm much more fascinated by the first two pictures in this thread... what happened on 07/16/1991 06:01:46PM at St. Vincent Hospital, and has anybody tried to apply the music graph?
    Now you mention it, I can hear the relation, but I've can't remember ever seeing it in an official source as the "intent"... is this in an interview or something I've missed?

S.D, brilliant observations as always.