Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Year 1999 - Us, Them, and Marilyn Manson.

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

I can't contribute much because I don't remember 1999 in detail but I was at the end of 9th grade (started high school in Sept 1998) at time so I don't remember much, but I wasn't a Manson fan until Holy Wood. But I thought them blaming him was stupid. I was already a Korn fan at that time and I wasn't dressed too odd, just casual for a 9th grader but some people in my a few of my classes actually hoped that I wouldn't shoot up the school, because I was/am shy and a bit more socially awkward than I am now.

I love this thread, thanks for sharing the stories.
    I can't add anything however, seeing as I was about 6 in 1999...

i was 16 in 1999 and already an established manson fan. I wrote something hateful about an ex of mine on the net and she took it up to the dean's office. Long story short, i was suspended for at least two months and threatened to be sent to an alternative school. i ended up being able to come back to school but only after a couple of visits with a psychiatrist and a monthly psychologist visit for about a year. When I first came back to school I had to meet with a group of people: somebody from the anti-hate group or some shit, principal, mom, school dean, an officer, and some other person from some other anti-hate group. They bombarded me with questions about music I liked and movies and such. I knew what they didn't want to hear so I said my favorite band was Blink 182 and some other shit. 1999 was funny.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Those are all interesting reads. I appreciate them, as much as I believe anyone who reads this "story" does. Especially (and not to discredit any contributions), yours, Dylan. I lived in the Bible Belt, but you live(d) under the law of thumpers, and maurauding cultish...for lack of wanting to use another word, well, .....retards. Instead of waiting in the hallway to enter the classroom on a routine day, it was like awaiting arraignment for a trial.

As for Mansons intent on using "Endtimes" as a statement for entering the new century on the Last Tour on Earth...I have always thought of it as something like that. But a slightly different outtake on it. I have shared my opinions more privatley with people about this tour, than I have on public forums. As coincidental as it may seem, if you look closely you can nail down so many precursors leading up to Columbine. I'll go into this more another time, there's a bike gang assembling in my apartment complexes parking lot, this could be interesting.....TBC
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

musically what a fucking awesome year!! but then everything else went down and well, without sounding to dramatic, i guess you could say it changed society, media and attitudes well, forever.

1999-i got shit before it and a whole lot after it. school was well, horrid. i was the socially retarded 'angry' (lol couldnt be furtherest from the truth) goth girl. people thought i was odd due to the people i looked up too, the music i listened too, the things that interested me. i think i was 15 when the columbine shootings took place, i was an avid manson fan at this stage, had loved him, and the band for years. i just couldnt believe how the media could single out one scape goat and run with it. i would sit, watching the news, reading the papers in disbelief, how could they blame an artist? i mean, come on, look at fucking society of the time, ummm lets try by firstly looking at bullying at school, do you know what years and years of taunts from smart arse kids can do to a persons soul?? lets look at gun laws and attitudes towards guns(wtf kids can get them delivered in the POST) look at systems that failed to identify at risk kids, or just look at the tv, i mean i dont know what tv is like in us/uk but everynight, night after night its some bullshit violent kill and murder tv show its everywhere, all around us.

Manson is just one amazingly talented artist who has the balls to put it all out there. he does not make decisions for people. people make decisions for themselves. fuck this shit, it still makes me so mad thinking about it now. i have no idea how manson got through this. i would actually be in tears thinking about what it must be like for those gettting the finger pointed at them when the people doing the finger pointing should be the ones having to answer the questions. have a look at themselves, their values and ideals.

it was interesting how people would treat the little 'goth kids' after this, personally i got more 'oh she is sooo strange' looks and interestingly enough even though kids were sometimes mean, the teachers kept an eye on me. O_O i was the LEAST of their worries, but apparently, as i wore black band tshirts i was one who 'had to be watched'

GAH im mad thinking about it. i need to think about this and get back to this post.
    iusedtobeEThel

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    This all escalated with a certain classmate who thought it would be funny to start calling me Klebold.
    The best possible response to this "joke" would be to be seen at the local gun store.

Und im Tode träumen wir Komakino's Avatar

I had never ever heard of Marilyn Manson in 1999 and would'nt become a "fan" until years later.

However, everytime one of these kind of threads come up I'm shocked by all the kids (then) having to hide their CD's for their crazy Christian parents, etc. No one gave a shit when I was in high school. Not my parents, not my teachers, not my classmates.* I guess he already lost his shock value by then. Maybe a joke here or there about him sucking his own dick, but no-one had serious problems with the band, and I can't imagine what that's like.

* I never was THE Manson fan of my high school either, people just saw me as 'the goth kid'. :') But back then several kids from my high school were into Manson and none of them ever had problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post

However, everytime one of these kind of threads come up I'm shocked by all the kids (then) having to hide their CD's for their crazy Christian parents, etc. No one gave a shit when I was in high school. Not my parents, not my teachers, not my classmates.* I guess he already lost his shock value by then. Maybe a joke here or there about him sucking his own dick, but no-one had serious problems with the band, and I can't imagine what that's like.
    I had similar experiences. I didn't get into Manson until a year or so before Golden Age of Grotesque so I probably missed the boat on the hate (plus I'm British). The sucking his own dick questions would be as far as it would go, though I think I once was asked if I did Satanic rituals to which I jokingly replied "I kill cats", they didn't see it as a joke and though that I was a "sick fuck", I doubt they even knew about the shootings.
    Please visit the site I write for: http://gamekudos.com/

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Exactly. If you became a fan after Columbine, then you were pretty much safe from being crucified and burnt alive. Not that being new to his music and art makes you any less appreciated, or sincire in the esteem that you hold Manson in. There really should be no classifications as to what a "true fan" is. I've always despised elitism, and tenure amongst people whose "registration date" is older, and who was around during certain era's and who wasn't etc... So for those of you who are participating, who were exposed to Manson post Columbine, it really puts a smile on my face because it shows that that year still holds the signifigance that it does to those of us who were around before it all went down. So, thanks.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Ironically enough, on 4/20/99 the day of Columbine, I was attending the Manson concert in Chicago.

The tour was canceled a week later just before it was expected to roll through Denver.