Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Splatter Sisters' To Breed Death Metal Band From Marilyn Manson

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

Default 'Splatter Sisters' To Breed Death Metal Band From Marilyn Manson

One of the most exciting new projects to surface amidst the many screenings and parties at Cannes Film Festival is "Splatter Sisters," a horror flick set to star Marilyn Manson and Evan Rachel Wood. I'm pretty stoked for it, especially with David Gordon Green and Edward Pressman ("The Crow," "American Psycho") producing. Adam Bhala Lough will direct, following up his stellar 2009 Lil Wayne documentary "The Carter."

As soon as I read about "Splatter Sisters," I wanted to know more. The original report mentions gore, exploitation and a desire to in some way evolve "Skinemax" film, similar to how Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez throw back to the '70s in "Grindhouse." So I put in a call to Pressman's office; not only was he more than happy to talk about "Splatter Sisters," he also connected me with Lough for an in-depth follow-up chat. Pressman's comments are after the jump; check back here tomorrow for a deep dive into Lough's twisted vision.

"The project and Adam Lough were introduced to me by David Gordon Green who I've known since he did 'George Washington,'" Pressman said. "I don't know how old David is, he's less than 30, but he already has a couple of proteges."

"I saw [Adam's] work and thought he was very talented and smart. David and he came up with the idea [for 'Splatter Sisters'] together really." He went on to reveal that Lough pitched the film with a show reel made up of movie clips, including material from "Natural Born Killers," Japanese filmmaker Takeshi Kitano and a number of horror films.

The intent is for "Splatter Sisters" to hearken back to Skinemax-era exploitation. More on this tomorrow, as Lough has a very clear idea of what that means. Speaking to Pressman, it's clear that he has the utmost faith in his director. The next step at this point is bringing it all together.

"We wanted to get the cash set, which we now have," he said. "We've met some people interested in financing it and some music-related companies are interested [as well], so we're right in the middle of arranging the financing with the aim of doing the film this winter. It's got to work around Evan's schedule, and also Marilyn's going on tour, but that seems to be the best [possibility]."

One fact which fans of Manson's music will find very interesting is that he has plans to incorporate those talents into the movie. "Marilyn is a death metal rocker, which is a different kind of music than he's known for. He's going to form a new band for the film... that would record or tour for this new entity," Pressman said.

Also intriguing is the idea of seeing Manson's on-screen chemistry with Wood, to whom he is engaged. "Evan is one of these two Splatter Sisters. They're... totally alienated from their families, who are not good to them, and they take on a vagabond life. They're on the road... to go to Hollywood. They're fans of Marilyn's band and become indoctrinated under his spell in the movie."

Much, much more to come tomorrow from Lough, so stay tuned.

Source: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/05/26...arilyn-manson/
    __________________________________________________ _____

So, they're going to be kinda like the slashers?

Also, forming a new band isn't my favorite thing to hear. I need some Twiggy in my Manson.

EDIT: Maybe that's why Naveen was with Manson, making music?

timoldbean

Very exciting news, thanks Norse. Intriguing concepts - sounds as if Manson is once again redoing himself... & I would imagine Twiggy is still very much involved - would be very surprised if not.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

;)
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Zsa Zsa View Post
    Forming a new band isn't my favorite thing to hear. I need some Twiggy in my Manson.
    Given that the last time Manson commented on the forthcoming album, he said that Twiggy specifically was responsible for bringing a more "metal" feel to the proceedings, I imagine that whatever this news implies, Twiggy is still very much a part of it.
    This is a really curious idea actually, I like it even not knowing a great deal yet. I think the part about scheduling because Manson will be on tour is due to the fact that the amount of time it takes to make a film, especially one being independently financed, could be at least a year and a half, so when they get to the principle shooting stage, that could be up to seven or eight months from now, implying that if Manson drops a record shortly before that time, he'd be touring to promote it around then, they generally start shows not long after a record release. Then again, I guess all bets are off at the moment, without a label, and living in the modern world that we do, there is nothing to stop Manson from becoming involved in this project in some sort of multimedia capacity, embodying the character in a new canon of film, and playing that in real life, sort of like the concept of Gorillaz when it was first created.

That's all pure speculation though, I don't want anyone to read more into what I'm suggesting than we know from this report, it's just nice to bring ideas to the table.
    The way it reads, it seems Manson would likely make another Marilyn Manson record, but also be doubling up with songs as a separate character, blurring the lines between the two (much like Marilyn Manson and Omega, or other personas assumed in the past, but not on a record). That's essentially what Bowie did with The Man Who Fell To Earth, Thomas Jerome Newton was an extended, paranoiac version of Bowie's own coke-addled character at the time, and yet he released two albums (Low and Station To Station), whilst also capitalising on his own prior incarnations as an alien falling to the modern world and subsequently destroying himself, by acting a role where he was an alien who falls to earth and destroys himself! Plus the two albums were not really soundtracks to the film, but the artwork for them both were taken from its imagery of him in character as Newton.

This is fascinating stuff, thank you for the news Norsefire, 2010 is certainly shaping up to be one of the busiest and most exciting years to be a Marilyn Manson fan for some time.

Q is for fucking Queen Alexandra's Avatar

Thanks Norse! A few parts of that article absolutely confused me, but at the same time got me even more curious about this project. Really, really interesting and exciting news!

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    That's essentially what Bowie did with The Man Who Fell To Earth, Thomas Jerome Newton was an extended, paranoiac version of Bowie's own coke-addled character at the time, and yet he released two albums (Low and Station To Station), whilst also capitalising on his own prior incarnations as an alien falling to the modern world and subsequently destroying himself, by acting a role where he was an alien who falls to earth and destroys himself!
    That. Sentence. Broke my English skills.

:P

Silent Catalyst

Very interesting news, I wonder how this will turn out? =)

Maybe that explains the haircut.

Guess this album isn't Marilyn Manson then, in some retrospect.
    i loved you at your darkest

it explains all his updates talking about Death Metal...

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anima XI View Post
    Very interesting news, I wonder how this will turn out? =)
    There is going to be a new Marilyn Manson album. Think DETHKLOK.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM