Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How was it that you got to know MM Music?

I came from a strict christian upbringing where music other than gospel, John Denver, The Carpentars, and Peter Paul and Mary was basically forbidden. It was weird, and I rebelled. Although as a side note i'd like to just through in there that I never really considered myself rebelling. I really have always been this way and had a fascination with the darker side of things all my life. From picking out the ugliest monster action figure as a kid, to trying to watch any scary horror movie...I really was just drawn to it.

The day came when a friend introduced me to Rob Zombie and I fell in love with it. As crazy as it may seem, I didnt know music could do this and sound like this. Try to put yourself in that perspective...not knowing any music that wasnt religious...oh yeah, and then whatever you heard at school because all the kids listened to rap. And then finding Hellbilly Deluxe? I was in heaven!...eh.er...Hell.

Anyway, I knew I needed to find more shit like this and I asked some of the kids at school who hated me, but seemed to know shit about the media and pop culture. (I never had cable or any real way of finding out about anything) And this one guy who always made fun of me just told me that Rob Zombie was bad enough, but if I ever started listening to Ozzy or Marilyn Manson, I would be a real "weirdo" ..which was his quote. Intrigued, I asked why? His response: Ozzy bit the head off a bat and Manson actually had his own ribs taken out so he could suck his own dick. I was sold. I went to the store...later that evening I think...And bought Antichrist Superstar, Holywood, Bark at the Moon, Diary of a Madman, and The Ultimate Sin. To this day, in no particular order, my top 3 bands still remain: Manson, Zombie, Ozzy.

After maturity and intelligence set in, I found many things in common with Manson and started appreciating the music on a deeper level. I started analyzing his lyrics and it really improved my life drastically. I can honestly say that Manson was probably my best teacher ever.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Synn View Post
    And Drone, let me say that even if you know nobody who's a fan you should still go. I didn't know anyone who wanted to go to see Manson when he came for the GGG tour in January in 2001 but I went by myself and it's one of the best concerts I've ever been to. I mean, I know you probably know you probably know this now with age, but I realized years ago it's not worth it to worry about if people can come with you to a concert you should just go because A.) it'll be awesome seeing a band you love and B.) You'll meet people who are into the band.
    Well yeah, if it's not far I'd go alone- but I was younger (16) and thought the whole place would be a crazy moshpit (my first concert was 2 years later when I got free Korn tickets) without any "safespots" and I had no money at all around the time. I use to make 5 bucks last me a week when I went to high school. But yeah, as long as it it's in my city, I'd go to a show alone- but probably not out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Dronepool View Post
    Well yeah, if it's not far I'd go alone- but I was younger (16) and thought the whole place would be a crazy moshpit (my first concert was 2 years later when I got free Korn tickets) without any "safespots" and I had no money at all around the time. I use to make 5 bucks last me a week when I went to high school. But yeah, as long as it it's in my city, I'd go to a show alone- but probably not out of state.
    I'm sure if it was a certain band only playing somewhere out of state you'd probably go alone, but anyways I totally understand what you're saying. I remember waiting in line for an autograph signing by Garbage and nobody I knew liked them so I went alone and met some great people in line. You always meet great people standing in line for a concert or at a concert.

I remember the first 5 or so big shows I attended I met some really hot chicks and cool people. I mean, you've all got something in common so there's something to start with.

By the by, are you going to Rammstein or at least trying?

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

I think the only band I'd travel for is Manson. But then again depending on a bus while going to a show sucks because they usually drop you off at a bus stop and getting to the actual place is a pain in the ass without a car. Not to mention making it to the bus in time so you don't get stranded.

And about Rammstein- I was thinking about going if my friend goes but he might be away, he said he'll see. And maybe he can get us in for free because this girl he's recording her album and she knows people like that, but I'm also not a big Rammstein fan- I like the first 3 albums but I was never crazy about the band. I do sort of want to go but with Comic Con next week and needing new boots and a wanting a few videogames in October- I'm sorta tight on cash to spend 80 bucks on them- plus they can't use pyro in MSG :-\

Quote Originally Posted by Dronepool View Post
    I think the only band I'd travel for is Manson. But then again depending on a bus while going to a show sucks because they usually drop you off at a bus stop and getting to the actual place is a pain in the ass without a car. Not to mention making it to the bus in time so you don't get stranded.

And about Rammstein- I was thinking about going if my friend goes but he might be away, he said he'll see. And maybe he can get us in for free because this girl he's recording her album and she knows people like that, but I'm also not a big Rammstein fan- I like the first 3 albums but I was never crazy about the band. I do sort of want to go but with Comic Con next week and needing new boots and a wanting a few videogames in October- I'm sorta tight on cash to spend 80 bucks on them- plus they can't use pyro in MSG :-\
    I travelled for Manson for the last time I saw him and it was a bummer. The show was great, but the people at the show where lame and then my best friend ditched me so I just ended up going back to my hotel and drinking while the bar I was suppose to go to with my "best friend" was the same bar that Twiggy, Vrenna and Andy went to. Twiggy also did karaoke but I was depressed because my good friend ditched me for her new lesbo lover. I'll never forgive her for that, though I did meet Care from Die Mannequin that night, so it wasn't a total loss.

I'm advising you, even though you don't really like Rammstein to just go because this might be the only time they play North America in a long time and it will be a great experiene. They put on a great show no matter if you're a fan or not. And I'm hoping to go to Comic-Con in San Diego next year but I don't think it will happen now. I think single day tickets go on sale soon and I'm sure they'll sell out soon, but if they don't, I might by some tickets in November.

I was tempted to go see Rammstein in Montreal earlier this year but it was a festival but I don't want to see them at a festival because their show is limited so hopefully this show at MSG goes well to warrant them a full North American tour because I will travel for these guys no matter what.

Manson needs to tour with Rammstein. That would be the ultimate gig.

I met the band at age 11, when I saw the Sweet Dreams video and Antichrist Superstar was about to come out. I got hooked ever since.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

easy, all the other bands on the radio sucked ten years back, MM had some attitude.

Alumni

I was 20 (in 1997) and at a Low - my own High End of Low I suppose. Everything else around me was srewing up, I was spiralling downwards and in the middle of this hot summer, when I was at a darker point, a voice came from the airwaves and that voice was Manson's. The Beautiful People was the first song I heard and I knew at that moment I had found an artist that for the first time in a long time, out of the vapidness of pop and weak artists and bands, that was special.

Over time and over the years, my relationship with Manson's music has evolved ever as much as he has. I am a very different person in many ways from the person I was 13 years ago, but at the same time, Manson's music never fails to have a voice for my mood so to speak.

He is not just an artist I like because I like the sound, he is interesting, fascinating, intellectually a turn on and like an ever expanding box - I get him and he still surprises us.

I admit I don;t always agree with him as a person, but I have never felt as a fan I have to - I am sure he doesn't want a lap dog or blind devotion, but at the same time even when I hven;t agreed, I have never thought of stepping away - after all, his voice and music were there for me at a time when I needed that rebellion and violent middle finger, and I will not step away myself. Seeing him, hearing him - that tingle at the back of the neck as a curtain rises - still gets me. His vulnerability as a human being, his fallability also make him whole imo - so for all I may not agree with him on - and it's not much to be fair - for the things he has done in his life, those are the things that make him Manson - and it is that, that open wound he often shows that draws me to him too. How many others wear their heart so clearly on their sleeves?!
    Last edited by Emma; 10-07-2010 at 04:30 AM.
    Nineteen76Designs: Clients are; Rob Zombie, Sheri Moon Zombie, John 5

11. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

In 3rd grade, i found an unopened copy of ACSS in my garage. Wasn't sure whose it was, so i kept it in my pillowcase, so that no one knew that i "stole" it, or had something so "scary". I listened to it whenever i was home alone, after school, whenever i could. And it just kinda grew from there. I met friends who burnt me other cds, until high school when i met James. He helped me get ahold of DVD's, bootleg concerts, and completed my album collection. He made me go from being a fan to being obsessed. WE always talked about Manson, and Manson kinda fueled our relationship. And I saw Manson for the first time during Mayhem Fest 09, which was our first date! Now i'm obviously still obsessed with Manson and what he has done.

The End.

13. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I slowly became a big fan of NIN after hearing the soundtrack Trent did for the Quake video game in 1997 (12 at the time), and because of the links between Reznor and Manson, became interested in Manson's music. I didn't know what to make of the band's image and notoriety at the time, but the music was energetic and aggressive, so I liked it.
    Last edited by cyborg assassin; 10-07-2010 at 05:31 PM.

15. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post