Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Transmissions

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Default Omega Transmissions

There's something I've been thinking about recently, (which might be a bit obvious but what the hell) and that's the appearance of Omega in the music videos for Mechanical Animals.

So far as I can ascertain, I believe it is meant to be Omega that we see in The Dope Show, I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me), and Rock Is Dead, and then finally Marilyn Manson in Coma White. The album itself is supposed to feature seven songs that are "Marilyn Manson", and seven that are "Omega", according to him, which is reflected in the splitting of song listings between the 'black' and 'white' halves of the booklet. Also, I believe that due to his position in the media - "on all the covers", note the alternate album artwork - Omega is photographed throughout Mechanical Animals, but not Manson at any stage, making Manson's only appearance during the album's tenure the Coma White video. Note also that the lyric sheet for Coma White appears in the appropriately coloured half of the booklet, which features no band photography whatsover.

The thing that made me consider Omega as predominant star of the music videos is rather obvious when you think about it; his red eyes:-

In Coma White it's the solitary white lens, as opposed to the other three where it's the mis-matched red lenses, identifying Omega. It makes some sense thematically as well, as the bombastic, drugged-out "Mechanical Animals" appear as Omega's band in the first three videos, with animated stages, destruction of equipment, fan adulation and excess (especially in the extra footage shot for The Dope Show), versus the subdued Marilyn Manson we see during Coma White. You see the ascension of Omega the celebrity, the band in rehab, wanted by authorities, and turned into something they never intended to be. Omega tries to end it all by throwing himself from the bridge, but it doesn't work and he ends up in a living dead state, crucified by TV screens. Even the order of the videos plots a similar chain of events, with The Dope Show showing the meteoric rise to fame, I Don't Like The Drugs showing the pitfalls, and then as it all implodes, the sarcastic phrase "Rock Is Dead"...

I've discussed this briefly with a couple of you in private, but I wanted to make a topic and see what responses there were, if anyone agrees/disagrees, or has other ideas to add. I hope this analysis was enjoyable.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

2. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

this is true, i totally agree, there is no Omega in Coma White music video, probably because this is the last song of the album and that there is less link between the Omega & Coma White than there is between Omega & RIS/DS/IDLTD. And then Coma White is an alpha song.

if we consider that Coma White is not related to the omega concept, i think i found something interesting two/three years ago:

Mechanical Animals singless;
    Dope show = track n°2
    Rock Is Dead = track n°4
    I Dont Like The Drugs = tranck n°9

2 + 4 + 9 = 15

And the lyrics of the hidden/15th track on Mechanical Animals!

In the end I became them and I led them
    After all none of us really qualified as humans
    We were just hard-worn automatic and as hollow as the "o" in god
    I reattached my emotions cellular and narcotic
    From the top of Hollywood it looked like space
    Millions of capsules and mechanical animals
    A city filled with dead stars and a girl I called Coma White
    This is my Omēga

Oméga = 15 ?
    Last edited by VV_; 01-15-2011 at 10:20 AM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

That's a really interesting thought S.D. about the identification of Omega with the red eyes. I hadn't really viewed it in that way, the first time I ever saw the videos I just took Coma White as the final video to the story told through the videos/album.
    Even though the scenes are obviously inspired by the JFK assassination, I half-viewed the JFK character has the final stage of the Omega character - instead of Marilyn Manson just playing the role of JFK, which may be wrong.

But an interesting thing, I've seen the Autopsy video called "The Autopsy of Omega" on a few fan sites in my time on the internet, is that just something made up by the fans? Or has Marilyn Manson ever said anything about that? Since the autopsy gets paralleled with the JFK autopsy and it followed the Coma White video, then if it is Omega, then it would make sense for the JFK character to be Omega as well.

I also remember people flipping that around and saying the baby in the head was the birth of Omega who then went into star in Mechanical Animals. I think the different views from the fans have always been interesting and gives you something to think about.

I do view the actual band playing in the video as Marilyn Manson though, but cut with scenes from the story. Even though they are in the same location, I just don't view the MM singer and MM JFK as the same person, does that make any sense? lol.

I read this article recently, Manson briefly mentions the Coma White video in it. The video was adapted from his film script. I assume that merged into Holy Wood? since the contents of Coma White and his comments on JFK during Mechanical Animals run closely to the Celebritarian themes in Holy Wood.

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/ihvh/im...ly_1999_05.jpg

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I think I have read your notes on the Mechanical Animals singles numerology before MaryWhore, and it's very astute, observing how the numbers create fifteen once again. I'd say it's definitely intentional, and incredibly clever on Manson's part. And yes, it does work hand in hand with the exclusion of Coma White as a single, but not as a music video. I'd imagine the show-business singles, being lucrative and released in order to make Mechanical Animals more popular were deliberately "Omega" for that same reason. It makes me wonder if there was any method to the self portraits chosen for the first two (It's clearly Omega on the Rock Is Dead sleeve):-

Omega as 15 I find interesting as well, because I've often considered the significance of there being five letters making one single word, creating a potential 15 in the name alone. But there's also the accent over the 'e', which to my knowledge isn't a grammatical necessity when pronouncing it. As the typography on the back of Mechanical Animals shows, the accent resembles a cylindrical pill, and so I sometimes consider it as a single unit, a 'one' over five if you will. That's pure speculation though.

Also Norsefire, I remember when Gavin Baddeley's book was released, it finished with him talking about how the themes we'd seen at the end of Mechanical Animals would be furthered in what was then known as the Holy Wood film project, because that's what Manson wanted to do with it before deciding to make a record. It was good to read that interview, there are similar comments in this one: The Strife Of Brian
    Also, considering the transition between Coma White and Holy Wood, I think this comment makes a lot of sense:-

"It's like on Mechanical Animals: the character of Omega was a satire of a rock star and when people hear this record and read the book [Holy Wood], they'll understand very clearly the lineation between the characters on each album - and when I say 'characters', I'm putting it in layman's terms, because I don't feel like I'm playing a role."
    Marilyn Manson, 2000

To me, that seems very much like Omega as seen in these music videos and on the album itself was the satirical exploration of fame that Manson alludes to, but the Coma White video shows us the more stark side of fame, which is where Holy Wood picks up and explores further.
    If Omega is a pastiche of self-indulgence and drug addiction in the character of the rock star, then Marilyn Manson singing Coma White is about the more dangerous side of drug use, or celebrity. Omega doesn't seem able to "die" in the same way as Manson can in Coma White. He's obviously characterised as Kennedy, and by a twist of fate, televised death would become a very real part of Manson's life shortly afterwards during Columbine, swerving the fictional discussions of death and martyrdom into a more urgent arena. Sure there are metaphors and concepts on Holy Wood, but it helps that Mechanical Animals appears to have "signed off" with this more serious, 'Marilyn Manson' element, because it's exactly that levity and attention to detail that was required to make Holy Wood a successful "fuck you" to detractors.

This is a great topic so far, by the way, thank you for your responses, I look forward to reading more.
    the LORD god had made
    "

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Add S.Hal0mega.B on Facebook Visit S.Hal0mega.B's Youtube Channel

When I first heard "The Inauguration of the Mechanical Christ", it reminded me very deeply of say - a character from "Jersey Shore"... the a-typical mechanical animal.

Sure - this is obvious.

But what followed next is what hooked me... the sorrow I felt when looking at the intro track from the perspective of someone who wants to be human, wants to feel, but cannot - and so goes into a psychosis of denial-hence "This isn't me, I'm not mechanical".

I sometimes feel that the album (if you were especially to include IOTMC before the Great Big White World - or after Coma White) - is about simply this. Certain people who apparently have hearts, individual souls, but truly love themselves so much it only appears so. Or perhaps they just love the idea so much it appears so. A constant disease of denial.

"Fashion is so ugly it has to alter itself every six-months" (paraphrased - Oscar Wilde).

And in MA, every Trend (Fashion) - God, sex, clothes, cliche, attitude etc becomes a metaphor for one another, they all seem to merge in a confusion that hypes at the end of "Posthuman" with "Ladies and Gentleman, Omega and the Mechanical Animals" - and it may be here that he becomes lost in denial... or forever with them.

"Our less well-developed physical senses, vis-a-vis our limited perception of the electromagnetic spectrum, aka reality - would be responsible for our reliance on reality and all that we define by it."
    'Joelle'

Well, I kind of agree with this. I don't think there is anything bigger to this other than Marilyn Manson being done with the Omega persona at the end of the Mechanical Animals era (the Coma White video). So, in a way I guess you could say that it isn't Omega, but then.... there's not some huge metaphor or something to analyze here either. My opinion, of course.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Favenris View Post
    I guess you could say that it isn't Omega, but then.... there's not some huge metaphor or something to analyze here either.
    I wasn't really implying any sort of metaphor, because the idea is self-explanatory, nothing is in place of anything else.

The notes (in all posts) are pretty much just saying that the atmosphere and visuals for the first three music videos on Mechanical Animals feature Manson's portrayal of 'Omega', whereas Coma White steps aside from that and is Manson himself exploring ideas that would become more prevalent on Holy Wood.
    I'd be similarly inclined to think the Omega idea was simply wrapped up by Coma White if it weren't for the fact that Manson implicitly said there were seven songs on the album represented by Omega, and seven represented by Marilyn Manson. I think these music videos correspond with that. If I remember rightly, before Coma White was filmed, there was a brief plan to do a music video for The Last Day On Earth. That's definitely one of the "Manson" songs, and I don't imagine it would've been an Omega-esque scenario if they'd ended up doing it.
    the LORD god had made
    "

I think an interesting question is whether "Marilyn Manson/ Alpha/ That Alien" would pop up in music videos if the Alpha side of Mechanical Animals had a single. Because we see the Alien in The Dope Show, I wonder if a song like Great Big White World, would feature it again if it had a music video.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Well, that's generally the point I was making by mentioning The Last Day On Earth in relation to Coma White.
    The songs on Mechanical Animals meant to represent "Omega" are (so far as I can see) those whose lyrics appear in the 'black' half of the album booklet, with the more emotive, 'Marilyn Manson' songs listed in the 'white' half. I know the whole concept of Omega is deliberately ambiguous, I mean it's obviously a Marilyn Manson album, in the same sense as Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood, but at the same time these characterisations he developed do have voices within those records. Omega was supposed to be a knowingly sarcastic, "poseable" emblem for the emptiness of celebrity and fame, and so the bombastic rock songs on Mechanical Animals represent that, as do the music videos made for them. The more heartfelt songs however, wouldn't suit videos with some whacked-out, drug-addicted alien in them, they're supposed to be about emptiness, but from the perspective Manson himself gained after finishing up with Antichrist Superstar and "re-attaching" his emotions.

I've often wondered about the untitled track actually, as in, who sings it, Omega or Manson? I think it's Manson, because whilst the character Omega becomes a media pawn and is thrown into the world of drugs and megastardom, Manson's personal "Omega" (end) is more introverted, and the result of the girl/drug he described in Coma White.
    the LORD god had made
    "

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Omega say did we no have none tools to communicate til he did give us d d d drugs
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

16. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post