Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate social networking sites!!(rant)

Alumni

Facebook is one of the few social networking sites I can have to myself - mainly because I have the people on there I want to, and can close it down from people - the thing that annoys me is people I do not know trying to friend me just because of my associations. My Facebook has become alot more shut down mainly because of family on there now and because of things like some of my wedding photos being on there - it's a private sanctuary in an unprivate world. But hey, I always say these things are what you will make of it and I agree they aren't always that great, they have heir drawbacks, but again it is what you make of it.
    Nineteen76Designs: Clients are; Rob Zombie, Sheri Moon Zombie, John 5
    See my Manson Collection here:https://www.instagram.com/the_manson_collection/

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    Facebook is one of the few social networking sites I can have to myself - mainly because I have the people on there I want to, and can close it down from people - the thing that annoys me is people I do not know trying to friend me just because of my associations. My Facebook has become alot more shut down mainly because of family on there now and because of things like some of my wedding photos being on there - it's a private sanctuary in an unprivate world. But hey, I always say these things are what you will make of it and I agree they aren't always that great, they have heir drawbacks, but again it is what you make of it.
    For the record, you can create different 'group' (ie Family, Coworkers, Friends, Online Acquaintances) and change the settings for each one, like only allowing Family to see your wedding photos.

Quote Originally Posted by rrodmila
    Well, I never created a Facebook account (a real one, I mean) because all the cool kids were doing it. Quite frankly, before realizing that I could have kept in touch with the people I made good friends with on the previous forum (people I actually dearly miss), I never considered making an account. I can talk to my (IRL) friends when I actually want to, Facebook can be very time consuming and I tend to procrastinate (a lot) and I really dislike the general feel to it. I don't like putting pictures of myself on sites, the only times I did it on our communities was because of you guys (fo' realz).

And only because of you guys would I make a Facebook account. I'm still considering it, although I am oh so pretentious and oh so against anything that's cool. I had a discussion with VIDe about this. I'm a non-conforming nonconformist. I don't conform to conformity nor to nonconformity which makes me a pretty annoying human being. I'd so dislike me and think me a snob if I could see myself from the outside. I already do, but I'd do that even more :)
    Facebook has connected me with people from my past that I forgot I even remembered. That's also a good part of it. My mom has found tons of family no one else has had contact with in years. It's not like you just have to put pictures of yourself up and post "Well I'm bored. Eating a sandwich" every 30 minutes, the tool is as useful as the user. It's just another portal to information, there are plenty of people who post interesting things (links and useful knowledge, not just updates about their lives) and it's also a way for you to access many people at once with anything you need to say.

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye

Quote Originally Posted by Allycat View Post
    I see these sites as a way to stroke one's ego, and, man, that is truly boring.
    That was one of the reasons I deleted my facebook. I suppose like most things there is pros and cons and you and mastahtee have highlighted them. But to be honest at the moment I don't really have time for facebook and I can't be bothered to sign up and start again.

I would say that I probably see more of my friends in person than some of them see each other because they keep in contact through facebook. I also spend a lot of time on the phone to people which I would rather do than send messages over the net.

I used to be hesitant about opening an account on social networking sites, when their boom first arouse our society. It seemed so vain, so prencious, that I didn't want to be a part of it. However, over time, I've enjoyed many of its benefits: I've re-gained contact with people that I lost contact with a long time ago, it has made easier to communicate not only with my far away friends and relatives, but with my friends in general, since I now live in another town. I've managed to invite people to my events easily, and it is just good to me to know that the people I care for are doing well, or to help them somehow if they need anything.

I don't accept friends requests from people I don't know, and I also try to keep in touch with everybody. I hit the "like" button a lot, and I also send greetings to all the people who appear on my "today's birthdays" list.

So, having a Facebook account has always been a good thing to me. I try to post interesting stuff, and I simply ignore what my friends do and I consider silly, gross or boring. It's their life, their taste and their personalities, who am I to judge anyone?

And, just for the record: I loathe Farmville, Pet society, Mafia Wars, Cafe World and everything else inbetween.

Well, I've uninstalled farmville, and have deactivated my fb account. I'd been told that those apps can often cause privacy issues. An email pal fold me her checking acct was debited twice by zynga. She cleared it all up with her bank, but still, but it's chilling to think your money can be stolen like that!

As for for deactivating my fb account, I did it so former classmates can't look for me, lol!

And I stubbornly prefer to keep in touch via phone, email and the physical...

An email pal fold me her checking acct was debited twice by zynga. She cleared it all up with her bank, but still, but it's chilling to think your money can be stolen like that!
    Well that's what happens when you give your debit information to random apps on Facebook...

Darwin award.

Alumni

Well, I've uninstalled farmville, and have deactivated my fb account. I'd been told that those apps can often cause privacy issues. An email pal fold me her checking acct was debited twice by zynga. She cleared it all up with her bank, but still, but it's chilling to think your money can be stolen like that!

As for for deactivating my fb account, I did it so former classmates can't look for me, lol!

And I stubbornly prefer to keep in touch via phone, email and the physical...
    Deactivating only deactivates the account - it does not delete it fully - just so you are aware. All they do is hide it from general view but what they are hoping is you will go back at some point so if you want to delete it permanantley, here is how: http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=842

As for game apps - do not like them on there - try to keep third party apps to a minimum just because they do farm out your info. Which is something I think needs stopping.

Emma- I'd realized that it doesn't delete it, which bothered me. So, thanx so much for th link!

Mix- I'm sure my friend didn't give her checking account #. I mean, come on... Apparently, these 3rd party sites are able to gather sensitive info. Which is why she'd warned me about these kinds of apps.

Edit: Emma, I deleted my account. Thankyou so much for the link, again!
    Last edited by Allycat; 03-03-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Emma- I'd realized that it doesn't delete it, which bothered me. So, thanx so much for th link!

Mix- I'm sure my friend didn't give her checking account #. I mean, come on... Apparently, these 3rd party sites are able to gather sensitive info. Which is why she'd warned me about these kinds of apps.

Zynga is a legitimate company. They make more money than EA, a very popular game publisher. Zynga wouldn't steal someone's debit information, she must have given it to them.

Alumni

Very welcome