Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your First Manson Concert

Hard Rock Live in Orlando, FL on December 2nd, 2004

My father was a huge fan of Marilyn Manson, and somehow convinced my mom to let me join him. I was only 12 years-old, but I was really into heavy metal and just got into music like Nine Inch Nails because of my dad's taste. I had never really listened to Manson besides hearing The Beautiful People on the radio, and I really had no idea what to expect. I didn't even know what he looked like or why his name was Marilyn. We were in Orlando because that year I had missed Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios (an annual birthday family tradition we did) so we were staying at the Hard Rock hotel and spent the whole day riding roller coasters and walking around City Walk as a late birthday gift. Sometime during the afternoon my dad had scored two tickets from a scalper. I'm not sure how much he paid, but I'm sure it was a ridiculous price because later he told me the show had been sold out for a while. He had seen Manson back in 2001 when they came to West Palm Beach, and he assured me that it was a show I couldn't miss.

I remember waiting in line and feeling like I didn't belong. Everyone was older than me and looked like they lived at Hot Topic. Despite the awkwardness, it was my first concert and I was so pumped. When we finally got inside it was so packed. We luckily had balcony seats so I had a decent view and wasn't going to get squished by everyone down below in GA. The opening band is a blur; I really don't remember who it was but I remember enjoying it. When I first saw Marilyn Manson my jaw dropped and I was mesmerized. I had never seen a crowd so wild, and Manson was exhilarating. Girls were flashing their tits and the atmosphere was unbelievably chaotic. He almost scared me by how creepy he looked, and the rest of the band was no different. The whole time I kept thinking "are they human?" I had never seen anything like it. Hearing The Beautiful People live was like discovering a whole new song that kicked my ass. There ended up being no encore and the show ended a little early but I was so content with my experience that I didn't really care. Rocking out with my dad for the first time was something I'll never forget. That show made me a fan for life.

After the show, my dad bought Lest We Forget and gave it to me. I played the fuck out of it for years until I finally got the rest of the discography in 8th grade. I know this isn't on topic, but one of the last memories I have of my dad was him taking me to two Manson shows back-to-back in 2008. The show in Atlanta was the best one I've been to so far, even better than the one back in '04 because Twiggy was back in the band. These moments I shared with him have had a huge impact and it's one of the reasons why this band means so much to me.

My first Manson concert was during the Mechanical Animals Promo tour on October 13, 1998 in Camden, New Jersey. I was 18 at the time and really got into Manson a few months before. The show really kicked ass because it was definitely a stripped down show compared to the Rock is Dead tour. It was the first and only times I got to hear the band play Cake and Sodomy and Posthuman.