Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 34 of 34

Thread: Kate Middleton/Prince William Royal Wedding.

  1. #31
    Moderator
    Original AIDS provider.
    The Empirical Guy's Avatar
    Join Date: 06.21.09
    Location: Ass-deep in a sea of dicks.
    Posts: 3,139
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    England has a monarchy, and has done for thousands of years. Do I like that? Agree with it? No, not really, but it isn't going anywhere, and the wedding yesterday was inoffensive.
    Maybe I'm mis-reading you here, but are you saying you don't think England should have a monarchy and should be done away with? I heard this on tv the other day, while the Republic debate often comes up here in Aus, I was surprised to hear a significant amount of Brits think the Monarchy shouldn't exist any more.

    Now, this I find confusing. To me, a royal family is not something that can just be "done away with", you can't hold a national vote and say "sorry, but you're not wanted any more. Just go about your lives like the rest of us folks and get a job down at Sainsbury's". You can't just dissolve them like a parliament. If you want to get rid of a royal family, you have to get a mob with flaming torches, storm the palace and cut off their head before holding it aloft from the battlements. (NOTE: Not actually suggesting anyone do this). But you can't just 'stop' having a monarchy. I mean, they're virtually powerless these days anyway, it's the government that runs the country, it's not like the Queen is making the big decisions on every matter. I understand that many people disagree with the large amount of public money spent on them, but still... the 'new breed' like William still go out and get an education and have jobs (or would at least be capable of doing one), so I don't quite understand the fuss. Even if you took away the fancy titles, they would still be the royal family that could trace it back in their bloodline.

    If you couldn't guess, yes, if Australia ever became a republic I would be very disappoint.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

  2. #32
    speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar
    Join Date: 06.20.09
    Location: Boy's Club
    Posts: 3,424
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    Even if you took away the fancy titles, they would still be the royal family that could trace it back in their bloodline.
    But do you think they should be held in a higher regard solely because of their bloodline?


    and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye



  3. #33
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster
    S.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date: 06.19.09
    Location: Inkland
    Posts: 3,522
    Rank: Golden Needle

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MixMastahTee View Post
    S.D. made a good point, that it's just an excuse for people to be happy and throw a party. But the World Cup is a sports game. It's a competition, people play sports, people make money off of it. This wedding is nothing more than the media telling everyone, "These people are better than you simply by being born. These people are so much better than you, we're going to broadcast them getting married all across the globe. Thousands of people are dying every day? We don't care, these two people are more important than any of them."
    You're right on a very simple level, but by the same token you're generally implying that the "News" - and/or media coverage of anything - has to always be about ultra-serious important issues that affect "real" people. The Royal Wedding meant little or nothing to me for the same reasons as an internationally televised sporting event; it's all about media prowess, not genuine skill or significance. You're ostensibly questioning the very nature of fame, notoriety, celebrity, whatever you want to call it, and I think that's a good argument, but there's far more deserving targets for it before something like this. We all buy into fame on some level, and opposed as I might be to functionless idolatry, this particular event didn't annoy or offend me enough to incite a reaction.

    Think of it like this; sporting heroes are sold as "better" than us in exactly the same way, because who the fuck ever said being part of some boys club where you kick a leather sack around for less than two hours was important? Certainly you can make distinctions between who deserves a camera pointed at them and who doesn't, but it's really up to the individual who they pay attention to.
    In actual fact the sporting thing annoys me more, especially with how football (to use the same comparison) works in this country, where players are given attention and media coverage for their lifestyles over their sporting ability. But reiterating your point, that's the fault of the media, so I think the debate here is less about what happens on a TV screen, and more about the motives of those who decide to film certain things and why.
    Maybe I'll create a topic about the responsibility of media reports, that could be an interesting avenue to go down, and one I am sure no one here can ignore if they're even vaguely interested in the concept of Celebritarianism, which is essentially what we're discussing.

    And do you disagree that this whole thing is absurd? Just because something is tradition and it makes people happy doesn't free it from any criticism.
    Of course it's absurd, for generations we've dubbed things like this 'Pomp & Circumstance'. Sometimes (not necessarily this) I like to revel in the absurd, because unless something is about life and death, or it truly disrupts morality, you just have to roll with it and enjoy the atmosphere. Or just switch off the TV and not give a damn.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    Maybe I'm mis-reading you here, but are you saying you don't think England should have a monarchy and should be done away with?
    No, not really, it's just an institution I have absolutely no interest or feeling of support towards. But at the same time, there's more deserving targets for vitriol and concern. As you said, the Royal Family don't overtly control or affect the country's business like a political organisation, therefore it's politicians, bureaucrats, even media conglomerates and TV presenters I'm more offended by and would see deposed. The hideous, vapid confines of The X Factor or Big Brother offend my moral sensibilities infinitely more than media coverage of a Royal event could, and I extend that feeling to anyone who knowingly buys into that shit.

    Quote Originally Posted by MixMastahTee View Post
    But do you think they should be held in a higher regard solely because of their bloodline?
    I don't think that's what he was saying, it's just a proven fact that as a family, these people have an ancestral lineage that has always been given some significance either societally or financially. Is it right? Not in my book, but it's there and very firmly so, therefore once again it's down to the individual whether they attach any importance to them. I could live my entire life not paying attention to the Royal Family's activities, and far from being ignorant, it would simply mean my energies and interests (whether positive or negative) were focused in other, potentially more worthwhile directions.


    DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

  4. #34
    Moderator
    Original AIDS provider.
    The Empirical Guy's Avatar
    Join Date: 06.21.09
    Location: Ass-deep in a sea of dicks.
    Posts: 3,139
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MixMastahTee View Post
    But do you think they should be held in a higher regard solely because of their bloodline?
    I would direct you to the last sentence of this post.

    Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    The hideous, vapid confines of The X Factor or Big Brother offend my moral sensibilities infinitely more than media coverage of a Royal event could, and I extend that feeling to anyone who knowingly buys into that shit.
    Agreed.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

NEWS | TOUR | BIOGRAPHIES | DISCOGRAPHY | VIDEOGRAPHY | GALLERY | MEDIA & INTERVIEWS
MANSON'S JOURNAL | ESSAYS & ANALYSIS | TIMELINE | FORUM | THEATRE | INFORMATION & LINKS