Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saul Williams.

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

Default Saul Williams.

Any fans on here? I'm about 5 songs into the new record, it's not too shabby so far.

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

I fucking love the new album. Triumph is a fucking great tune!

I dig what I've heard of Saul Williams. Mostly, all I've heard is Niggy Tardust, but I've heard some of Volcanic Sunlight, and it's good.

OH! Saul Williams related question.

On YEAR ZERO: REMIXED, is that him, Trent Reznor or both of them during the verses?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Sounds really cool, I didn't pay it attention because I didn't like Niggy Tardust (although I agree its atmosphere was great), but I'm watching these videos and yeah, I like it. Maybe I'll buy it.

Cause it breaks my heart that we live this way

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

I like him but haven't had a chance to download or be even be aware of a new album.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

I was in the crowd that heard of him via NIN - so I heard Niggy first and then backtracked. The thing is, I like Niggy for the obvious NIN-vibe on the music side, paired with Saul's lyrics; but I think the new album is a lot more connected to Saul's personality and feels just really organic and alive. It's really a counter to Niggy in a way, not at all dark/gloomy. In fact, just really upbeat and positive.

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    I was in the crowd that heard of him via NIN - so I heard Niggy first and then backtracked. The thing is, I like Niggy for the obvious NIN-vibe on the music side, paired with Saul's lyrics; but I think the new album is a lot more connected to Saul's personality and feels just really organic and alive. It's really a counter to Niggy in a way, not at all dark/gloomy. In fact, just really upbeat and positive.
    Yeah, it's definitely quite different than Niggy. Like you said it's upbeat and lot more user-friendly than Niggy Tardust. Catchy and synthy and dancy, not bad at all.

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

I've been taking advantage of downtime stemming from a broken old camcorder rendering me unable to continue transferring my old DVC video bootleg tapes and A/V-synch complications with my newer HD gear to finally post some of my old footage I never got around to sharing for whatever reason, yet happen to have sitting around ready to go anyway.

Which brings me here!

My Mic In port was broken in early '08 so I couldn't use my external mic and had to rely upon the crappy built-ins, but when I heard Saul Williams was bringing Niggy Tardust to our nation's capitol I just COULD NOT resist. Absolutely HAD TO FILM IT in WHATEVER capacity.

And then I surveyed the venue. Gah!

The 9:30 Club is fuckin' AWESOME, but daaaaamn is it bootlegger-hostile. I saw LOTS of people getting shut down and harassed for simply taking pix with cellphones and disposable cameras so I knew there was no way in HELL they'd be cool about my camcorder. Ugh. So I went to the balcony and prepared to film discreetly from the rail but then at the last second fortuitously took notice of the fact that the venue had "spotters" with flashlights and radios communicating to the bouncers on the floor from little alcoves above and beside the stage!

Bah!

Unfortunately, there was no time to re-position and I just had to adjust and roll with it.

So I set my camcorder on the floor of the balcony and shot the whole show from between the bars of the railing by tilting the flipscreen up and nudging it around with my foot as needed, lol. Improv ftw!

I mean, kinda.

It was a supremely difficult chore to say the least, so it's occasionally off-center with no zooming whatsoever...but wtf, it is what it is.

Which, btw, was a FANTASTIC fucking show.

He killed it, brought his daughter out, she killed it, and they even did "Gunshots by Computer" from Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D, so FUCKYEAH, whatever it takes, right?

Plus, what with the direct involvement of my boot in the process, it's about as "bootlegged" as a bootleg can be, so y'gotta love that, lol.

;)

Anyway, I'm not too up-to-speed with song titles so if anyone could help a nigga out with an accurate setlist that'd be MUCH appreciated.

In the meantime, here you go!

Saul Williams
    Washington D.C., VA
    04/07/08

Has anyone else here read his poetry collections? I'm a big fan of them (as well as his music). He really seems like an artist that is just completely in love with what he does and it really shows in his live performances and in general. Very great guy.

Also, that's a pretty cool story, Haz! I'm amazed how serious some venues take those things.
    Kleiner352 liked this post

EvilDead, in all of his glory: