Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Tornado puts Springfield, Ma on the map...

Default Tornado puts Springfield, Ma on the map...

A tornado touched down in my city Wednesday afternoon! I was sitting on the front porch and had seen a huge swirling cloud of debris, which was actually downtown Springfield, mass, which is half a mile from my street. Then I heard a jet engine noise, and I'd thought it was a jet plane. I decided to go indoors, heading for the cellar, though. Good thing I did, as when I'd gone into my friend's apt, and was passing through her dining room, my ears popped. Apparently, the funnel cloud passed over the street and the house at that point. When I'd gotten to her back door and opened it, I was shocked at the many many trees that were either down or were splintered. The one big tree in our back yard was down, but very luckily for us, landed across the rear of the yard, and not on the house. I live in an attic apt in a 2 family house. A couple minutes later, I ran upstairs to check my apt. Nothing was damaged. My cat was under my bed. I couldn't get her to come out. I was worried we'd still have more high winds, but nothing more happened. Whew. I am sooooo lucky that not only am I alive, but that the house was undamaged pretty much. Others were not so lucky. The tornado touched down in other neighborhoods and obliterated homes. Ive been told that homes on a street over are gone, many of them new habitat for humanity houses. We here on my street were spared. The funnel cloud would touch down from time to time. If I had done so on my street, houses would be piles of lumber. Worse, there could be loss of life, both human and animal.
    Tornadoes are rare in this city. The last one was a hundred years ago. Hopefully, we won't have any tornadic activity again in our lifetimes!

Whoa, it looks like you had a lucky escape. It must have been worrying though while it was going on. Over here we're not used to tornadoes and such like. We get high winds and the odd gale force wind now and again but nothing on that scale. Thankfully you and your house emerged unscathed, but your poor kitty, she must have been pretty scared.

I like the new adjective you made up...Tornadic.

regardless and being serious, glad everything's allright. Tornadoes aren't funny shit.
    i loved you at your darkest

Thankyou, barbarella and Nick. It's been almost a month after the storm. Homes are being repaired and downed trees sawn up and taken away. I've gotten used to the background sounds of chain saws and hammers.

I understand that tornadoes are rare in Europe.

Oh, as for the word 'tornadic', I didn't coin that. The local weatherman used the word frequently.