Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diamonds & Pollen

Didn't know anything about this song until earlier. I thought it was a leak from BV. Thought the song was cool with some good lyrics. Though I can see why it was a B-side.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

^ I KNEW IT! I FUCKING KNEW IT! LOL
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Very under-rated song. I love it too as with everythinjg from that Era. That was my fave Manson era.

Interesting. I love this song but never thought of it as an opener for Holy Wood, mainly because it's hard to imagine anything other than "GodEatGod" starting the album. Oddly enough, if I remember correctly "Diamonds & Pollen" is actually an outtake from the Mechanical Animals sessions, but didn't make an appearance until the Holy Wood era because it directly references the storyline that crystallized when HW was recorded. For anyone that bought Mechanical Animals when it first came out, there was a CD-ROM feature on the disc that played some stills of Manson's paintings with eerie keyboard music layed over the images while Manson reads the hidden text from the album booklet, and the music is actually the piano from the end of "Diamonds & Pollen," which adds to the likeliness that it's originally from the MA era. In my mind I hadn't considered the song to be a reaction to Columbine because it seemed to have been recorded before 1999, but in a way it's still totally relevant, since Manson was singing about the very kinds of things that caused Columbine (and the way people treat such events during the aftermath) many years before it actually happened. Spooky.

EDIT: I thought for sure this was an outtake from Mechanical Animals but I've looked around online and am not finding any evidence of that. All I remember is Manson saying that "Diamonds & Pollen" was recorded during MA but it didn't fit on the album. Perhaps I am inventing memories in my old age.
    Last edited by Gloominatus; 03-14-2012 at 10:19 AM.

cupid carrying the gun Heather Quick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHTMF View Post
    Very under-rated song. I love it too as with everythinjg from that Era. That was my fave Manson era.
    /\

Diamonds & Pollen is simply incredible. And it's funny to see how many people didn't know this fantastic song until an asshole upload it on Youtube saying it's a new track from Born Villain.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Gloominatus View Post
    I thought for sure this was an outtake from Mechanical Animals but I've looked around online and am not finding any evidence of that. All I remember is Manson saying that "Diamonds & Pollen" was recorded during MA but it didn't fit on the album.
    I've not encountered that rumour at all, but if it was touched upon the likelihood could be that it has elements that were adapted from some earlier ideas, rather than being an outtake straight off. Perhaps in a similar way to Smells Like Children [song] being adapted into Kinderfeld, or the earlier, less potent version of Astonishing Panorama Of The Endtimes.

The piano melody at the close of the song is actually the same as you can hear during the Untitled fifteenth track on Mechanical Animals. I think that may even be intentional, I like to see songs like this as 'gateway' tracks between albums, in the same way that Apple Of Sodom and Long Hard Road Out Of Hell form that bridge from Antichrist Superstar into Mechanical Animals. It's much the same with the aforementioned ...Endtimes into Holy Wood, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Quick View Post
    Diamonds & Pollen is simply incredible. And it's funny to see how many people didn't know this fantastic song until an asshole upload it on Youtube saying it's a new track from Born Villain.
    Well I think in part that's the nature of it being a B-Side. I actually find that incredibly endearing, the fact that in a world of digital filesharing and people grabbing everything in one go, someone could still not have encountered a hidden treasure like that. If anyone finds copies of the Disposable Teens singles for sale anywhere, do buy them, the whole set from Holy Wood really compliment the entire album and its mood.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

Lovely topic about a lovely track. I'm curious as to which Manson b-sides/soundtrack cuts people consider essential to his/their body of work. In some ways these tracks can seem somewhat less important, especially remixes and such. So which ones really matter to you guys?

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

The major bsides: Apple of Sodom, Long Hard Road Out of Hell, Astonishing, Diamonds & Pollen - I think have so much weight because in a lot of situations bsides are considered the tracks that didn't make the cut, or were the product of something else (like soundtrack work). These songs though, hold their own in the whole timeline of the tryptich. There is an implied sequence with ACSS, MA and HW so the bside originals still feel very much on par with the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    The major bsides: Apple of Sodom, Long Hard Road Out of Hell, Astonishing, Diamonds & Pollen
    No love for The Suck For Your Solution? That's pretty much the only one you didn't include (covers excluded)

Great, Powerful and Emotional song.