Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diamonds & Pollen

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Default Diamonds & Pollen

I've made no secret of how amazing I think this song is, but fuck me, listening to it just now after six months or so reminded me of how it felt that decade or so ago...

I honestly think, in the space of this one track, you can hear every shot fired at Columbine, every tear shed by every family member, every accusatory fucking finger pointed in Marilyn Manson's direction, every gutless fucking photographer and journalist selling lies, every unjust death in human history...
    It's an immensely powerful piece of music, and I honestly want everyone here to go and play it to someone unfamiliar with the band, explain the story of Columbine and Holy Wood as best you can, and see what their reaction is.

Anyone who doesn't think that school shooting didn't have a terrifying, soul-destroying effect on Manson need only go and listen to this song and be proved wrong, really listen to him build up with phrases like "The pomegranate earth, spins into oblivion", I mean how fucking angry must you be to put words like that together, it's beautiful and fucking harrowing at the same time. Think about it.

"A million scars, a million promises", it sends a chill down every inch of my spine.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

Definitely one of his greatest fucking masterpieces. I remember being dissapointed that he never really explored that sort of composition or arrangement again...here is to the new album.

Not opening Holy Wood with Diamonds and Pollen is Manson's greatest mistake. It's so fucking amazing that it's un-describable. I'll never forget discovering it after I had already been an avid fan for years.
    Cocksuckasaurus.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

I had Million Scars/Million Promises tagged on my backpack in highschool. This song really does capture an overall moment of MM that I connect to a lot. The music, both in riffs and how it was put together is just perfection. I love just how it slowly comes to a raging boil only to break off into this enchanted broken melody. So haunting, but still so beautiful. I love songs like this where the song structure is not typical verse/chorus, because it really puts a focus just on the direction the lyrics take you. From the start of the song, until the end you are taken through 3 very different sections but it does it in such a beautiful way. The pounding drums, the guitar layers, the screamed vocals - just pure blood shed.

^ I think that is why I connect with Target Audience so much...Manson's Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeEyedGod View Post
    Definitely one of his greatest fucking masterpieces. I remember being dissapointed that he never really explored that sort of composition or arrangement again...here is to the new album.
    Hmm, well the only thing with that is the context. This song and Holy Wood overall were designed to capture a very specific moment, and Manson's reactions therein. I know aggressivity is something he's channelled into most of his work somehow, but with that album it was really specific, and perhaps unique to the time it was created.
    That said, although they don't sound similar, songs like Paranoiac or 15 have the same disjointed, experimental feel, even if they translate differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Not opening Holy Wood with Diamonds and Pollen is Manson's greatest mistake. It's so fucking amazing that it's un-describable. I'll never forget discovering it after I had already been an avid fan for years.
    I don't know, I think GodEatGod is an equally gruesome start to the record, and Diamonds & Pollen might be absent in the tracklisting for good reason. Like Antichrist Superstar, Holy Wood's design is very intricate, and despite how amazing it is, there's a degree to which that song would disrupt the atmosphere overall.
    The really interesting thing about it (and I'd be interested to read if anyone agrees) is that it's almost like listening to the entire mood and ethos of Holy Wood, though condensed into one song... Anyone else get that from it?

Incidentally, GodEatGod is another underrated powerhouse with an odd structure. Those mournful, carefully picked strings underneath what is essentially just static noise is haunting, and then the contrast of Manson's croaked lyrics, and those relentless power chords, it's rare that a genre of music is used to such crushing effect. And he was right, that at the same time Holy Wood was released, there was such a stagnant air of Metal being used to promote faux-angst, that when you consider its history, Holy Wood really demonstrates what it actually sounds like to have something to be pissed off about.

Original AIDS provider.

I'm gonna agree that I think GodEatGod makes a much better opening for Holy Wood. While Diamonds & Pollen is a great song, I think it lacks the direct punch in the teeth that GodEatGod has, which is a suitable way to open Holy Wood. I think it falls in to the same sort of category as Apple of Sodom does for Antichrist Superstar: a fantastic song, but unable to really fit in on the album anywhere without disrupting the flow and feel of the whole thing. The term 'B-side' can seem a bit degrading, I prefer to think of them as Appendices.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

I like this but I don't think it's one of his overall best works, good lyrics though.
    i loved you at your darkest

Definitely an under appreciated track. It's filled with such conviction and hatred, leading up to that utterly depressing the ending. It seems to me as though Manson is defending himself, retaliating full force, and fails. He just gives up...

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    Definitely an under appreciated track. It's filled with such conviction and hatred, leading up to that utterly depressing the ending. It seems to me as though Manson is defending himself, retaliating full force, and fails. He just gives up...
    A great reading, simple and concise. In fact, this bolsters what I suggested before about it seeming like a condensed summation of Holy Wood in one song. In just over two minutes of audio it manages to capture all the rising violence, throat-searing rally calls, despair, and final resignation experienced by the Adam Kadmon character. You can even plot a similar course through the song lyrics and album progression, especially with Holy Wood's closing Count To Six And Die in relation to "and they're waiting to grow, and to die like flowers do".

Fuck, it's dark.