Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What Television Are You Watching?

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Default What Television Are You Watching?

I split off the Film & TV topic and it is now just for films again [located here], I thought it would be cool to separate the two mediums. Post whatever series, specials, comedies, whatever it is you like to watch on the picture-box.

Currently I am taking advantage of Channel 4's 4OD service, and have stepped into the world of Misfits, which is wicked, I really enjoy it. Some of the characterisations can be a little off sometimes, and I am still not convinced by Rudy as a replacement for Nathan in series 3, but the writing is still inventive and the overall black comedy element to it appeals to me most. I also resonate with Simon's character a lot, but am still curious as to what they'll do with his development story... Does anyone else watch this show?

Also on 4OD I have watched Phone Shop. I know the whole faux-urban ghetto speak is being lampooned in the show, which I enjoy, but sometimes it can get a bit too much. The most recent episode with Razz Prince being a good example. However, overall it makes people who work in retail and take both it, and themselves waaaay too seriously look like the idiots they are. It's also interesting that phones are by nature, tools of communication, but these characters are all more-or-less inept at proper communication skills.

That leads me onto the more precise social commentary of The Armando Iannucci Shows, which in his classic deadpan, world-weary manner is still biting and acidic nonetheless.

"the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

On TV last week - This is England '88. Once again Shane Meadows and the cast deliver something really special.

I've read that Meadows is planning This is England '90 and I was a little sceptical thinking how far can he go with this but after TIS '88 I only have high hopes for the next instalment.

S.D. I never really got into Misfits. I watched one episode and found myself disliking just about every character. Perhaps I should give it more of a chance.
    Last edited by Barbarella; 12-19-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Hopefully by 2015 he'll have done This Is England 2150, where a resurrected, cybernetically enhanced Thomas Turgoose can fight it out with warlords of the eighth galactic alliance whilst wearing Doc Martens.
    the LORD god had made
    "

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    Hopefully by 2015 he'll have done This Is England 2150, where a resurrected, cybernetically enhanced Thomas Turgoose can fight it out with warlords of the eighth galactic alliance whilst wearing Doc Martens.
    Well you never know ... with the right funding.

Alumni

Black Mirror in Channel 4.

You have got to love the way Charlie Brooker's brain works when he delivers satire in an attempt to show how much the human race has become inslaved to the reality we live in right now. I have only watched the first two episodes, The National Anthem and 15 Million Merits and will watch last nights episode tonight. The one that had the greatest impact was of course the first episode, which showed just how far people were governed by what was on the screen and less about what was around them - but seriously, only Brooker could get away with a PM being asked to fuck a pig live on air.

The second episode was not as strong, although the concept of 15 minutes of fame over integrity was a good idea. Looking forward to viewing the last one.

If you have ever watched his Screen Wipe of read his books you will love this (if you have not watched them already)
    Last edited by Emma; 12-19-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    Nineteen76Designs: Clients are; Rob Zombie, Sheri Moon Zombie, John 5

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarella View Post
    S.D. I never really got into Misfits. I watched one episode and found myself disliking just about every character. Perhaps I should give it more of a chance.
    It's a weird show, the characters do come off as intentionally dislikeable. But then you get a few episodes in and they become strangely compelling, even if you still think they're twats. I thought I would loathe Kelly, but she really develops later on down the line, and although she's still gobby, so does Alisha.
    Because I'm a puerile fool I instantly got on with Nathan's character, and on the flipside my occasionally introverted side empathises with Simon. But after series one they're all fairly different people, and the storylines driving that development are really well conceived.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    Black Mirror in Channel 4.
    Being a fan of just about everything else Brooker has done (including Konnie Huq! [img]ohnohedidnt.jpg[/img]), I really need to check Black Mirror. Work's been busy at the moment and I wanted to finish Misfits before getting wrapped up in anything else, but it has me intrigued from the trailers.
    Likewise, I've actually not seen any of the This Is England series, not out of disinterest, it's just one of those vehicles I've not had the chance to watch. But I want to, so I should get on that soon.
    the LORD god had made
    "

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    Likewise, I've actually not seen any of the This Is England series, not out of disinterest, it's just one of those vehicles I've not had the chance to watch. But I want to, so I should get on that soon.
    Yeah, try to if you get the chance. Although the subject matter can be quite dark it is sprinkled with humour and I also think you will totally approve of the soundtrack.

I'm up to episode 4 of Torchwood: Miracle Day. Loving it so far.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Just finished up the last episode of American Horror Story. Brilliant ending, definitely didn't see that one coming.

And since that's over, I need to catch up on the rest of the second season of The Walking Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    Just finished up the last episode of American Horror Story. Brilliant ending, definitely didn't see that one coming.

That show has been my obsession. I hear for the second season the entire cast and location is being replaced.