Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243

Thread: What Television Are You Watching?

The Good Place is a sleeper hit.
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
    Waiting for new seasson of Mr.Pickles.Btw Stranger Things is overrated crap .
    That's absolutely hilarious. Mr. Pickles is a show literally for 13 year old boys. As a rule it has absolutely zero substance. It's a placeholder between real TV episodes. And I feel confident in saying that you've never seen one episode of Stranger Things. I know this because I distinctly recall you saying how terrible IT was on the day it was released, shortly after bitching about how horror as a genre is dead. It's almost as if within every subject, you go out of your way to have the opinion that's as far away from 'correct' as possible.

The hipster "meh, popular stuff is dumb!" thing is not admirable. You really gotta grow out of forming an opinion on things based on how other people feel about them. Nobody is going to make fun of you for liking something popular or good.
         

  
      

Add Mephisto on Facebook Visit Mephisto's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eel View Post
    That's absolutely hilarious. Mr. Pickles is a show literally for 13 year old boys. As a rule it has absolutely zero substance. It's a placeholder between real TV episodes. And I feel confident in saying that you've never seen one episode of Stranger Things. I know this because I distinctly recall you saying how terrible IT was on the day it was released, shortly after bitching about how horror as a genre is dead. It's almost as if within every subject, you go out of your way to have the opinion that's as far away from 'correct' as possible.

The hipster "meh, popular stuff is dumb!" thing is not admirable. You really gotta grow out of forming an opinion on things based on how other people feel about them. Nobody is going to make fun of you for liking something popular or good.
    you're my fan aren't you? you remembered my every single word lol.and yes IT sucks and it's toooo long boooooring.stranger things too ,they should stop after first seasson.so,what you gonna do know.

edit:downloading "24 hours to live"
    Last edited by Mephisto; 11-03-2017 at 06:55 AM.
    Chillin' Killin'

I finished Stranger Things 2 and canít help but feel as though itís another ďTwin PeaksĒ for me in that yes I binge-watched it and enjoyed it, but I donít think I really get it. Both Stranger Things and Twin Peaks are great shows but Iím not understanding the cult-like hype and feel as though Iím missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by FeedYourHead View Post
    I finished Stranger Things 2 and canít help but feel as though itís another ďTwin PeaksĒ for me in that yes I binge-watched it and enjoyed it, but I donít think I really get it. Both Stranger Things and Twin Peaks are great shows but Iím not understanding the cult-like hype and feel as though Iím missing something.
    I don't think that there's much to get, it just sounds like you didn't love it that much lol.

Twin Peaks is a hilarious comparison to me because of how totally insane and far beyond the realm of 'normal' it is. The appeal of Stranger Things is pretty straightforward. It's a incredibly retro 80s throwback in all of its capacities. The specific time settings and direct references are one part of it, but everything about how the show is made is a love letter to classic 80s pop culture. The intro font/style and overall heavy synth score are the more obvious examples. But it's filled to the brim with subtle and not so subtle homages and throwbacks.

(SEASON 1 AND 2 SPOILERS) A few in no specific order:

The Demogorgon in the first season was apparently meant to be a Jaws analog. A mindless, cold reptilian hunter with no real capacity for thought or reason. D'Artagnan in season two is essentially a mogwai from Gremlins. He also eats Dustin's cat, like Alf. The "buncha kids team up to fight an overwhelming, incomprehensible enemy" is pretty 80s, e.g. IT. Plus the less horror and more adventure versions of that like Stand By Me and Goonies. Bob Newby made a veiled reference to Goonies, which the same actor starred in. In the arcade scenes, the Dig Dug and Dragon's Lair games were chosen because of their parallels to the overall show story - Dig Dug being about burring through underground tunnels to fight subterranean monsters, and Dragon's Lair being about a brave warrior trying to rescue from a dragon and an evil wizard's castle.

There's the Exorcist stuff with Will and the Mind Flayer, which is pretty straight forward. You got the Poltergeist thing with Eleven using the TV static to astral project into that black void in-between world. S02E07 was even a bit too on the nose for me with Eleven being mentored by a far more skilled sensei on telepathically controlling a large object like Luke and also turning all dark and moody and literally force choking that fat guy like Vader. Plus that episode veered pretty hard into sci-fi X-men territory. Eleven asks Hopper if she can go trick or treating as a 'ghost' because nobody will know who/what is under the sheet, like E.T. Also Beetlejuice given the Winona Ryder connection. There is a ton of Alien/Aliens references in everything from how the Demo-dogs move and act to using Paul Reiser to sow distrust among the audience. Plus the flamethrower guys has got some Aliens and The Thing mixed in. The surprise of there being additional Demo-dogs than Dart was a pretty strong Jurassic Park homage. Bob asks Joyce to move to Maine, which must be a Stephen King reference. Etc etc.

Those are just a few of the homages and throwbacks to specific 80s pop culture hits. Now I'm not a gigantic fan of 80s pop culture nor was I alive in the 80s, but these are all such huge classics that you tend to pick up on them through cultural osmosis whether you're a fan or not. So I have to respect how much shit they jam in there while also creating an original and good story and show. They also do a lot more general things like setting up classic 80s tropes (and usually subverting them) or using certain camera techniques or starting a character off as a super generic 80s archetype. So this is one reason why it's attained such a huge following and become a cultural icon in and of itself. 80s throwback is like the super hot thing right now, so the timing is good.

But then outside of all the 80s shit, it's overall just a really great show. It stars probably the best child actor ensemble I've ever seen, plus David Harbour is an absolute badass. The supporting actors are all awesome. The characters themselves are almost all compelling or genuinely hilarious, excepting the cartoonish caricatures in S02E07. The directing, cinematography, pacing (again other than S02E07,) plot, etc are all pretty much top notch. It's just the sort of show people generally agree is objectively well done. Those are all the primary reasons I love it personally, as somebody with a non-existence to negative relationship with 80s pop culture. I got weepy eyed several times throughout both seasons, these are the types of characters you have to try not to connect with.

This post kinda got away from me so it might not all be totally relevant to your post but I just wanted to talk about Stranger Things tbh. You're not totally alone in nothing thinking it's amazing though. There are plenty of people with criticisms, the primary one being that it's too derivative which is a fine line to walk when making something like this that relies entirely on legacy to stick the landing. They even make fun of the critics and probably themselves when Lucas tells Max the story of season 1 and she laughs and says "I felt it was a little derivative in parts. I just wish itíd had a little more originality. Thatís all."

At least to me if you rip off a plot line from a specific movie, you're just stealing. But if you rip off every plot line from a specific genre/era, then you're just making a love letter and that's how art works. Everybody is an amalgam of their influence, these guys just turned it up to 11. And it's impressive that they made it work so well. It could have just as easily been made with similar love for the 80s by guys a lot less competent in everything else and it would just be some critically panned generic crap on Netflix.

With that being said, I don't really think you're missing much. It's probably not going over your head or anything, it's not really super layered or convoluted or anything. And just because I think it's super good, I wouldn't even say it's one of my favorite shows or anything like that. I think the new series Mindhunter is just as good as Stranger Things and it's receiving about 0.01% of the critical acclaim or even acknowledgment. I think a lot of things are fantastic without really getting too attached. This just happened to be a thing that struck a chord with people which was then reinforced by critic hype and then further fed back into itself when most people found that it lived up to the hype. Plus like I said before, the whole "80s were super cool" thing going on right now and the fact that a lot of people 10+ years older than us did experience all that stuff first hand and thus have a super deep, personal attachment to almost everything about it.

Just think how you'd feel about an amazing show that was also this passionate and respectful of 90s culture ;)
         

  
      

6. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I don't think that there's much to get, it just sounds like you didn't love it that much lol.
    Just think how you'd feel about an amazing show that was also this passionate and respectful of 90s culture ;)
    First of all that hypothetical 90s show is my actual life, second of all I would probably hate it and be overly critical because Iíd know I could have done it better, third of all who wants to make a show with me thatís passionate and respectful about 90s culture and pitch to Netflix? I can totally do this you guys.

I guess the retrospective 80s vibe is what I donít attach to or whatís lost on me with Stranger Things, because imo the only good things to come out of the 80s were Labyrinth and Phantom, and both were late 80s already.

Quote Originally Posted by FeedYourHead View Post
    First of all that hypothetical 90s show is my actual life, second of all I would probably hate it and be overly critical because I’d know I could have done it better, third of all who wants to make a show with me that’s passionate and respectful about 90s culture and pitch to Netflix? I can totally do this you guys.
    The idea is that this hypothetical show is so perfect, you'd realize you couldn't have done it better. That seems to be the consensus from 80s kids on Stranger Things.
         

  
      

Plus like I said before, the whole "80s were super cool" thing going on right now and the fact that a lot of people 10+ years older than us did experience all that stuff first hand and thus have a super deep, personal attachment to almost everything about it.

I resemble both of these comments :P

As someone ten or more years older than you, the appeal of Stranger Things is the utter familiarity I have with everything that is going on it and how it throws me back to what I used to watch except with less dodgy cinematic values, and with a new story to follow as well.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.