Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Sutter Joins Marilyn Manson

Alumni

Interesting addition. Still want official confirmation but Regal Tips is of course a more reputable source than some of the blog sites that were touting Joe Letz with no evidence whatsoever.

Original AIDS provider.

Hmm. A solid and talented player, but I don't think he's the right fit for Manson at all, feel and personality wise. Reeks of a session guy that was available for the tour at the right price.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Administrator
    OPERA-TION
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

You can't pigeon hole session guys like that. You could say the same for josh freese for nin, but he lifted that entire band. This guy toured with the new York dolls which makes more since for MM than the guy from combichrist or getting someone from a metal band. I'm sure for both MM and Jason, there had to be a musical connection. I'm excited, the guy is good and seems like a huge player. And I'm sure it was considered by the band as much as MM so if Twiggy and Fred can rock with this guy, so can I.

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    Hmm. A solid and talented player, but I don't think he's the right fit for Manson at all, feel and personality wise. Reeks of a session guy that was available for the tour at the right price.
    What an idiotic statement. You have not a clue as to what his personality is like, nor how he can contribute to whatever the band is like now. If past is prologue, "session" guys have been the ones to come in and enhance the band because of their own work ethic and aesthetic sensibilities. For whatever reason, John5, Tim Skold, and Chris Vrenna come to mind.

Im sure Manson had quite a few people he could pick to be in the band. So I'm sure he picked who he believes will be the best fit

i think this is a great choice!

Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by Lord MeowMeow View Post
    What an idiotic statement. You have not a clue as to what his personality is like, nor how he can contribute to whatever the band is like now. If past is prologue, "session" guys have been the ones to come in and enhance the band because of their own work ethic and aesthetic sensibilities. For whatever reason, John5, Tim Skold, and Chris Vrenna come to mind.
    Although there is no way I would term Empirical Guys statement as idiotic, I have to agree you can discount someone for being a session artist - as has been noted many session artists have more than played their role and excelled beyond the hired hand - ai only have to look at my own boss and whom has been mentioned, the session guitarist John 5.

I say judge Stutter on how he works with the band, not how you perceive a session artist

I trust session artists when it comes to taking over the role for veterans of a mainstream band more than I do "A band guy", e.g. professional musicians, (people who have studied and have experience with multiple styles of music)....

Even if he doesn't mesh personality wise, so what? I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say that we all just want to hear good music and see and amazing show.

I have no doubts when it comes to this guy and that is just based off of his resume.

It looks like he's never been in a band for more than year, doubt he'll stick around after the tour.

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    You can't pigeon hole session guys like that. You could say the same for josh freese for nin, but he lifted that entire band. This guy toured with the new York dolls which makes more since for MM than the guy from combichrist or getting someone from a metal band. I'm sure for both MM and Jason, there had to be a musical connection. I'm excited, the guy is good and seems like a huge player. And I'm sure it was considered by the band as much as MM so if Twiggy and Fred can rock with this guy, so can I.
    I wouldn't pigeon hole a "session guy" like that, but I might pigeon hole him. I wasn't making a blanket statement on session guys - I thought Rob Holliday and Andy Gerold were both great and fit very well. Likewise, Freese did great things for NIN as you say, but I would've picked that before the fact, based on his previous work. I've had a good look at various videos of Sutter and already know of him from the drumming world, and I don't get that same impression. Not to say he can't prove me wrong, he may well have pulled something new out his pocket that he hasn't shown before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord MeowMeow View Post
    Idiotic? Hardly. Every performer has a personality that shows on stage, which may or may not be related to how they are off stage. I couldn't care less what his day to day personality is like, but having watched plenty of videos of him performing, and trying to transplant that on to a stage with Manson, it seems an odd fit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    Although there is no way I would term Empirical Guys statement as idiotic, I have to agree you can discount someone for being a session artist - as has been noted many session artists have more than played their role and excelled beyond the hired hand - ai only have to look at my own boss and whom has been mentioned, the session guitarist John 5.

I say judge Stutter on how he works with the band, not how you perceive a session artist
    Again, no problems with session guys (although I do think it's a shame 'the band' as a unit has become a rotating cycle of hired guns in the Manson & Twiggy show, but plenty of those guns have performed brilliantly). From all the choice that Manson could have had, I just find this one to be a weird pick, and while I'm sure he made no decisions lightly and saw something in Sutter that he liked, I just have to wonder if maybe there was someone else that they couldn't get due to money, previous commitments, or whatever.

The guy can clearly play though, it's not like he's going to make a terrible mess of it or anything.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna