Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: [020]: May 05 2012 - Stage AE - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

Never say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O_O

Here's my review of the show (separated into two halves to fit the character requirement space):

Before I begin writing this I'm going to state my reasons for doing so, hoping that it doesn't come off as some sort of bragging of any sort. I've never been to a concert before, and knowing some fans of either or both bands that I saw last night will not likely get the chance to do so this year I thought it would be fun to write them an in-depth depiction of this first-time experience of mine, from a virgin's point of view. I also thought it would make for a nice commemorative of the event, in any case.

When I first arrived at Stage AE, I was surprised at how contained it was. The area seemed very small and closed off, and I was even more surprised to see just how long the line to get there was. It literally snaked around the entire block and people were joining this line by the minute! As for a visual aid, imagine the crowd clips from the Dead To The World video, and there you have it. I would have never guessed that a day had passed since 1996. After being checked by security for weapons (I'm sad to say that I had to leave my guns, knives, and bomb detonator at the gate) I immediately bought a tour shirt with the Born Villain cover on the front and a list of the Hey Cruel World tour dates on the back. I originally wore my own shirt for my upcoming novel, The Pilgrimage there, thinking that what better place to market myself than at a Marilyn Manson concert in Pittsburgh, but the shirt isn't the comfiest to wear (men's shirts never fit me right) so I pulled the new one right overtop of it. (I also thought, wearing my own shirt to the concert, that Manson would not only relate to such self-promotion from back in his Spooky Kids days, but that he would also appreciate the narcissism which it represents.) I don't think that the opening act, The Pretty Reckless walked out on stage until about 8, and one could really feel the tension for the show to begin standing in the audience. I managed to find my place right near the front behind about five or six people because of the way the stage is set up, despite being about an hour late. I found myself beside the typical "biggest fans" of the opening act (two girls) who found it necessary to shout "Is anybody hear for Taylor Momsen!?" "Have you heard of The Pretty Reckless!?" every five minutes, as if she had developed some rare form of Tourettes which she involuntarily shouted about the band between small intervals of time. In front of me was a goth Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory, complete with spider bite piercings. Manson's dad, Hugh threw some backstage pass stickers into the crowd to wind the crowd up before the show began. I noticed a short girl behind me, who surely couldn't see over my average-sized stature (probably growing on the tall side), so I offered to let her get in front of me so that she could see better. There was no room to move at all, so she had me hug her and we just sorta walked a half-circle to switch places. I later saw her and she hugged me again, this time just to be nice.

Momsen and company soon took their (rightful) place upon the stage, the frontlady wearing a leather jacket with a matching leather dress underneath (one of which she only wore for about 1/3 of her setlist, but I'll let you guess which it was). Not being too familiar with the band aside from a few singles I couldn't connect too well with most of their show, but they did perform very well. The songs "Miss Nothing" and "Make Me Want To Die" (particularly the latter) were the highlights of their act. During their performance a girl squeezed in next to me. I couldn't see her, but she certainly didn't feel to be wearing any shirt (I definitely felt her jeans against me, being packed in so tight). She introduced herself as Taylor Momsen's afterparty manager, and showed me pictures of the two together on her iPhone. After becoming better acquainted with her, as well as I could with my lack thereof hearing coupled with the show, I realized that I was indeed right to think she wasn't wearing a shirt, but pasties in the shape of Xs over her nipples. I think she had something on her back that looked like a strap, but I really couldn't tell. I'm not even sure if she was inviting me to the afterparty or not, I was having so much trouble hearing her talk. There were a few hecklers during the show who shouted "Manson!" or would interject "-Is your last!?" each time Momsen would introduce a track with "This next song-," which did irk me. The Pretty Reckless deserved their time on stage just as much as Manson did, and the longer they performed wouldn't make Manson play any less.

After they packed up a black curtain fell over the stage and somehow the audience swelled even further into one large constipated organ. Smoke and perspiration filled the air, so that it was hard to breathe. If there is a such thing as Hell, it would be waiting for the show to begin at a Marilyn Manson concert. "Ziggy Stardust" played in between shows, before "Suspiria" by Goblin (one of my favourite films-and scores-ever) led the show into "Hey, Cruel World..." as a song by The Doors has at past shows. I tried video taping the entire first song, but about halfway through I was knocked down and couldn't film any longer. (I may upload this anyways, after I watch it and see how bad the quality actually is.) The crowd was going insane, and the chaos of bodies so close together was something to give Alighieri nightmares! I can't remember the next song, "Disposable Teens" well at all, from all of the shoving and chaos that was going on around me - it was at this point of the show that sadly I was pushed further back into the crowd, just as the main act was beginning. During "The Love Song" Manson whipped out his smoke-blower/flame thrower gadget. It should be noted that the band, as well as Manson himself, sounded on par, if not better than on the respective albums from which the songs originated from. Having seen the travesty which was Download 2009, as well as the recent performance of "Coma White" with the black balloons, I was nervous that this show might be another "off" for Manson, but there was not one song which he (and the band, of course) did not blow out of the water. "No Reflection" was much better live than on the album, although the "wah-oh"s do seem a bit awkward live, they make it work. The guitar in particular was very raw, and much more "punk" than on the record.

During "(M)obscene" Manson threw on his Arch Dandy hat as the title of the track flashed behind him. Twiggy (donning his Leatherface-esque jacket and make-up, as well as his flashing Iron Man necklace) would encourage the audience to "Be obscene, be be obscene, be obscene, baby, and not heard" rather than the more effeminate chant on the recorded track. "The Dope Show" has always been a favourite of mine, and Manson really nailed it here. He wore a flashy jacket and even pimped out the pink boa for this one! (It should be noted that even though theatrics were mostly kept to a minimum, each song did have its own aesthetic in terms of Manson's wardrobe.) The song was preluded by the intro of "Coma Black," which was a magickal moment to hear live. "Slo-Mo-Tion" fit right in after Mechanical Animal's defining track; one really would have thought that they were subsequent on the tracklist of the same album by just how well they went together! "Rock Is Dead" was performed with energy, but I was really astonished to see that "Personal Jesus" was the crowd favourite for the night. They really went wild as soon as it began, jumping and shouting even more so than before. Manson led into this song with a speech mocking rehab for trying to convert him to the belief in a "higher power." "Pistol Whipped" was another stand-out performance, with Manson strutting around ("peacocking it," if you will) and slapping himself. The heavy breathing on the track really works great live, too, something I was afraid might come out awkward in person.

The remaining tracks were all from Manson's earlier years. The first of which, "Tourniquet," really surprised me. I had heard that it was being played live, but I never thought I'd be so lucky to hear it played (and played so well, at that)! Twiggy really went crazy, throwing his guitar around like a cheating spouse for this song. Manson sounded better than he did on Antichrist Superstar singing this song, which really was how every song of the night sounded in my opinion. Manson beckoned the crowd to show him their middle fingers during the interludes of "Irresponsible Hate Anthem," and as he gazed into the inferno sea of his worshippers, one could only imagine the profound thoughts passing through his mind. It really is the stuff of philosophy when that man stands on stage like a Greek idol, peering down at us peons. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of These)" enchanted, mesmorized the crowd, especially once the drums and bass kicked in. As Manson's flashlight mic passed over the audience (it reminded me of the scene in Titanic which the lifeboats are searching the river of deceased for any sign of life) it really felt like it forms an eclipse to the eyes. And here we are, at the arguably best staple of Marilyn Manson's entire career on stage: "Antichrist Superstar." The stagehands slowly brought the Fascist podium to the front and center of the stage, adorned with only the Shock Symbol, as Manson changed into his trademark black suit and red tie. (Probably a zip-up, but still.) He knocked mics off of the stand, threw them into the audience, hanged from the podium as if he was possessed, and propped himself up on it as if he was planking (or simply trying to show off his platform boots). He forgot his Bible at home, but an audience member in the front row was generous enough not only to bring one for him, but to tear it up as well. Marilyn Manson Convinces Teenage Boy To Rip Up Bible At Concert; that's the stuff of church marquis and newspaper headlines back when the band was considered the greatest threat to America.

"Like a good rape, we all know how this ends," Manson states before the drums to "The Beautiful People" kicked in. Of all the songs played, this one was my least favourite vocally. Not because Manson "lost his voice," or any such claim as that, but because he simply doesn't perform it the way that he used to methodically. The croaks and highs just aren't included as they once were (no worries, though, at "The horrible people/The horrible people" he hits the note as high as ever) and the song just isn't the same to me without it. Overall, the song was great, though, and one can really tell why it is considered a modern classic. Nonchallantly toppling a light on stage over, taking Sutter's cymbols out with it, Manson made sure to leave no room for the encore the crowd was practically (literally, in some people's cases) begging for. When the man is done, he is done.

The entire show Manson was smiling (it amazes me at just how much his smile resembles Matt Stone of South Park fame) and playing around with the band and his audience alike. He knows what he must do, and not only does he do it well, but he enjoys every moment of it! He started a mock fight with bass player Fred Sablan (who was also in great form, laughing and smiling at the band's antics) akin to his infamous confrontation with former guitarist John 5 at one point in the show. For a few songs he reminded me of a child playing in his parents' back yard, running around the mic stand in circles, spinning his arms like windmills on speed - two things I don't necessarily understand why he enjoys doing so much, but heck, he seems to love it so that's cool with me!

On a closing note, I realized leaving the show that Marilyn Manson played 15 songs that night. Why, one may ask? Is he (still) embracing the numerologic theme which has haunted his career since it began? My answer: No reason.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/todd-c...50915069956532

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Good review ^ I am working on one myself. I am a bit delirious at the moment. But another thing to mention is, I don't know if you heard it during sound check they did murderers, but didn't do it live. Missed seeing you there. Maybe next time.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

I love your review!

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

I backed up a bit for the last few songs to try and avoid feedback but wasn't back far enough. Sorry for the quality but there you go. More pics coming later.

Also, it was awesome hanging with M3rcury Morbid and his gf as well as some other people. I supplied the line with free water and entertainment by fucking with drunks and making a homeless man spell his entire name for one dollar. You guys were awesome. Too bad I didn't get a chance to meet the rest of you.
    Last edited by Shangri-LIE; 05-06-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Quote Originally Posted by Shangri-LIE View Post
    Also, it was awesome hanging with M3rcury Morbid and his gf as well as some other people. I supplied the line with free water and entertainment by fucking with drunks and making a homeless man spell his entire name for one dollar. You guys were awesome. Too bad I didn't get a chance to meet the rest of you.
    Yeah it was awesome, hanging out with you, Shang. Terribly surprised how many Manson fans don't know this site exists. We need to do some more promotion people. The show was fucking amazing. Some people were assholes, most were awesome. I hurt, but I love it. I'm too sleepy to type anymore. Maybe later. <3
    Last edited by m3rcurymorbid; 05-06-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Follow Scorpion On Twitter Add Scorpion on Facebook Visit Scorpion's Youtube Channel Visit Scorpion's Instagram Channel

I didn't understand the John 5 - Fred Sablan part. Anyone care to explain, please?