Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [028]: May 16 2012 - Uptown Theatre - Kansas City, Missouri, USA

I hope he comes to South America...

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Also, the sound at that venue was TRULY phenomenal, as was the audience participation. I believe I was fairly near Lauren. from the looks of her pix and so she can probably confirm that there were several instances throughout the night where the whole balcony was LITERALLY rocking with the brute force of the soundwaves emanating from the stage and actually full-on fucking BOUNCING with the shifting weight of the audience up there jumping up and down on it in their unbridled enthusiasm. It was some serious Gallopin' Gertie type shit and was actually calling that to mind immediately at the time!
    It was definitely shaking! I was on the far left, second row of the balcony the entire time except for Antichrist Superstar, where I crawled up to the very front of the balcony. I tried to set my camera on the railing in hopes of using it to keep my camera somewhat still to record video but it was vibrating like crazy!

3. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
    It was definitely shaking! I was on the far left, second row of the balcony the entire time except for Antichrist Superstar, where I crawled up to the very front of the balcony. I tried to set my camera on the railing in hopes of using it to keep my camera somewhat still to record video but it was vibrating like crazy!

Your photos were fantastic!

Follow Heather Quick On Twitter Add Heather Quick on Facebook Visit Heather Quick's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by pabloccb View Post
    I hope he comes to South America...

Review/recap of concertshowthing:

Sorry this is so late; too many things have been happening at once. Anyway, this is my third time traveling to Kansas City for a concert in the last year or so. Between Manson and the other two shows (Genitorturers and She Wants Revenge/Peter Murphy), my goth/industrial/metal street cred is now solid, so suck it. Just kidding. Wow, this is already not interesting.

So my girlfriend and I arrived at the venue, which turned out to be a very cool place. The other times we've been in KC we went to the Beaumont Club, also a decent venue, but it was nice to finally visit the Uptown Theater after driving past it many times. The main thing which caught me at first was the fact that beer at the venue ran about ten dollars, which was sort of insane considering KC is not a famously expensive city. I'd also like to add that the venue parking was hilarious, consisting of a smallish parking lot which belonged to a mostly abandoned strip mall with a Papa Murphy's randomly in the middle of the chaos. Like most people, we parked in the residential neighborhood behind the venue, and considering how small and narrow those streets are, I'm guessing the residents there probably hate the Uptown. We completely missed Taylor Marilyn Momson and the Great Boob Experience, or whatever the hell they're called, because we were too busy spending eighty dollars on a couple of drinks. No matter.

Eventually we entered the crowded auditorium, and I was immediately impressed because the decor involved some naked male statues with wieners. It is hard to go wrong with wiener statues, I've always found. It wasn't long before the band started playing, which was amazing because, this being my fifth Manson show, I am used to standing around for what seems like several years before he takes the stage, only to inevitably discover that I was waiting for him to finish off several bottles of absinthe and travel up a magical snow mountain. But this time, things were different. Not only was the timeframe stepped up, Manson himself was in great form. I'm sure he was still chemically enhanced or whatever, but the stumbling and slurring and whatnot were gone and replaced with a reinvigorated dude who rocked both my wiener and also the wieners of the statues, and probably many other wieners as well (I am saying that Manson is gay).

Seriously, where the hell has this Marilyn Manson been? He was amazing. This was the best I've seen him since 2000; he no longer has the same demonic intensity as he did back then, but he shouldn't be expected to. This Manson was in some ways even better. I especially enjoyed his joking around with the audience between songs. I'm used to his rehearsed schtick, but this banter felt a lot more natural (though I’m sure still somewhat rehearsed), and I was surprised because I can't ever remember him talking to the crowd quite this much. Manson seemed way more at ease onstage than he's been in years, and his deadpan humor and absurd comments peppered the whole show, from mentioning how the love of his mullet kept him from joining the Army to wryly describing his ridiculous stint in rehab to being totally confused about where Kansas City is located. He actually seemed to be enjoying himself and not just dying of the flu in front of everybody. I noticed he laughed when he forgot the words in the middle of "Irresponsible Hate Anthem," which is a far cry from the old days where he would just throw a fit.

All the songs worked well in the live setting, though I took a bathroom break during “Rock is Dead” (I had decided in advance to master the will of my bladder, only to realize halfway through the show that my bladder totally calls all the shots). The new material was a breath of fresh air, and I wish there had been a little more of it. “Antichrist Superstar” was probably the highlight for me, though. Of the three times I’ve seen it performed, this was by far and away the best. Because loud music has been my friend for a while, I try to wear earplugs during concerts to avoid damaging my hearing further, but I made an exception and removed the plugs during the last half of the song, letting a full-on on blast of pure apocalyptic noise assault my head. I also allowed myself to go all Nuremberg with the fist-pumping at the end; usually I hate to do what’s expected of me and follow the crowd, but in this instance I think it was acceptable and maybe even necessary. (Note to Whisky and Speed: Manson tore up a Bible and used it to wipe the sweat from his face, so don't worry).

Normally I feel the same way about large crowds at rock concerts as I do about reality television, sporting events and the 700 Club: they all make me thankful for things like bird flu and Ebola. And indeed there were some douchebuckets who felt the need to knock into me or my girlfriend or throw beer all over us or get into random fights with strangers (during “The Dope Show” . . . why do fights always break out during the least violent songs?). But there were a lot of decent people. Before the encore, when everyone was yelling “Manson!”, this girl behind me kept yelling “Mark!”. Apparently Mark is Twiggy’s guitar tech and she felt Mark deserved to be recognized. I concur, as the behind the scenes people rarely get noted, so I would just like to add “go Mark!” to this review. Also very exciting, at one point this adorable girl in front of us turned around and grabbed my girlfriend’s boobage. My girlfriend is a larger lady and has rather massive boozooms, and she occasionally likes to enjoy the company of other fellow fuller-figured females (that’s FFFFs, a new internet acronym; you’re welcome, internet). Part of our concert enjoyment always involves girl-watching together, and there is no shortage of cute chubby goth girls at Marilyn Manson concerts, so all was well. My girlfriend herself has wanted to see Manson perform live for the last 16 years, and the fact that she cried tears of joy through the first two songs indicated this was indeed a bitchin’ Valentine’s Day present.

After the show we went out drinking, and this guy at the bar mentioned that Twiggy and some of the other band members were at the place next to us (the Riot Room, I believe it was). We were drunk by this point and had trouble conceiving that the members of Marilyn Manson were actually right next door, so we decided to be scientific and see for ourselves. We walked into the top-level, outdoor area of the Riot Room, where some ridiculous dance party type thing was going on. Not long after entering, and much to our surprise, did we realize we were actually standing next to Twiggy Ramirez, who was busy seducing these two blond girls. It’s strange, because Twiggy is starting to look like an evil witch version of BJ Novak, and I mean that as a compliment. We didn’t want to bother him (and meeting people I admire is always weird for me), but suddenly we were face to face with Twiggy in the crowded club. We quickly told him we thought it was a great show, and he looked very pleased and thankful and gave us each a firm handshake. It was pretty unreal. We made sure to get out of his way immediately thereafter, not wanting to be cockblockers. I’ll tell you, I never ever could have predicted our evening would end with both of us getting to meet Twiggy, however briefly.

Afterwards, we stayed in the dance party area for a while, where I started crushing on the bartender (who looked like a hotter clone of Daryl from The Walking Dead) and the flamboyantly dancing DJ. When I’m drunk I start getting crushes on everybody. Then we headed downstairs, which was calmer and much more likeable and somehow a punk rock club that was completely different from the upstairs. Apparently Saliva had just played, which also means that apparently Saliva is still together. Okay. Eventually I stumbled over some dude’s foot, and he looked really annoyed with me, and then on the walk back to the hotel my girlfriend tripped and sprained her ankle. So everything had a stupid ending.

But it was awesome getting there.
    Last edited by Gloominatus; 05-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.

^ Most enjoyable review I've ever read. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

@ Lauren

Thanks so much for posting the pics! I didn't want to take any during the show because I was completely mesmerized so I'm glad others did
    Last edited by Audrey Fish; 05-22-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Fast Food Nude. Whisky And Speed's Avatar

(Note to Whiskey and Speed: Manson tore up a Bible and used it to wipe the sweat from his face, so don't worry).
    I loled hard at this.Manson is using the bible as makeup tissue nowadays,I bet you that Jesus is laughing his ass off hard at this.

Oh, I bet you too that my name popped in your head during the song.

Your post is amazing and I gave it my like(I'm number 1 at giving likes).

thanks a million for your amazing story.

GOIN' DOWN
    AND
    MAKE ME WANNA DIE

Sorry, that's all the footage I have of The Pretty Reckless from this show...but there's still MUCH more to come! Just workin' out the kinks, it's on its way!

:D

Quote Originally Posted by Whisky And Speed View Post
    I loled hard at this.Manson is using the bible as makeup tissue nowadays,I bet you that Jesus is laughing his ass off hard at this.

Oh, I bet you too that my name popped in your head during the song.

Your post is amazing and I gave it my like(I'm number 1 at giving likes).

thanks a million for your amazing story.
    Thanks so much for reading, and thanks so much to everyone who liked the post!