Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 'No Reflection' Lyrical Analysis

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

"We're all drunks" - Born Villain
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGhost View Post
    I listened to it like three times
    Well there's your problem. Try another 20 or 30.
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Born Villain = Killing drunk fun while pretending to be drunk fun. 1 2 3
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Quote Originally Posted by MixMastahTee View Post
    Well there's your problem. Try another 20 or 30.
    No no, three times before looking up the lyrics. Total, probably, I don't know, at least a dozen.

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

I heard it a little over 40 times and the lyrics sound spot on.

Assuming that the lyrics are correct, and I agree with Dronepool that they're spot on, there are at least two elements in common with Overneath (The Path of Misery). First, the major theme seems to be an allusion to Narcissus falling in love with his reflection. This would be the second Greek mythology reference in only two songs (the other being the Rape of Persephone). Also, and this is a bit more of a stretch, "of something violent coming" seems to be a paraphrase of "something wicked this way comes" from Macbeth.

EDIT: Is it possible he's saying "I'm awake seven days a week?" It definitely sounds like what's been posted, but I'm having trouble buying that that's what he's actually saying.
    Last edited by brian219; 03-08-2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: addendum and OCD

^ I actually thought of "something wicked this way comes" when I first heard it as well, plus Manson did say it was inspired by Macbeth so can't be a coincidence.

Plus, the preceding line is "By the pricking of my thumbs," ala "prick your finger it is done."

"I don't know which me..." makes me think of the Hydra, unsure of which head to admire in the water.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by brian219 View Post
    First, the major theme seems to be an allusion to Narcissus falling in love with his reflection.
    A valid reading, there's shades of Dorian Gray as well (yes, I went there with that pun). In Isolation recently, I posed the notion of Manson's reflection during The High End Of Low, it's clearly become a burgeoning theme since The Golden Age Of Grotesque, throughout all following albums:-

"I'm a diamond that is tired, of all the faces I've acquired. We must secure the shadow ere, the substance fades."

"No shadows, no reflections here."

"Why is my wound a front door to you? Am I my own shadow?"

As a slight aside, if the lyric is indeed "I'm weak seven days a week", then that seems to allude to Manson's 'modern art' piece, We(a)k One, seen in The High End Of Low booklet:-

[There] is an A3 scrap of paper on which 14 empty cocaine bags are taped."That's my modern art piece, entitled We(a)k One," he sniggers."That was the first week of making the record. Either we had really poor cocaine or we did a lot."MM 2009 [Kerrang! Magazine]
    Also, "You don't even want to know what I'm gonna do to you" is reminiscent of Leave A Scar's lyrical thematic, and things like "I am worse than what you think you'd catch from me" during WOW. It's also very close to "There's not a word for what I want to do to you" during You And Me And The Devil Makes 3, which may in itself lead to "I won't bother counting 1, 2 ,3"?

It's a little like Manson's taking all of the self-deprecation from the last three albums and fashioning them into outward vitriol. That's especially true when you consider "A gun's cliche and a razor too" in relation to "I'm more like a silver bullet than I'm like a gun" and the recurrent razor blade image during The High End Of Low. Interestingly, that album debuted with Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon, and Manson posed on the cover as the "hangman":-

The lyric "teach myself how to make a noose" reminds me of "If the world had one neck my hands would be the 'where' and I would choke all of you down", and "It's on the news or is it the noose" during the aforementioned Arma...Geddon, perhaps implying Manson's teaching himself how to 'make the news'? That's a stretch, but you know, all roads worth walking down and that.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    The lyric "teach myself how to make a noose" ...., perhaps implying Manson's teaching himself how to 'make the news'? That's a stretch, but you know, all roads worth walking down and that.
    I thought it said "Show myself how to make the news" on first listen, and then totally dissing himself on the next verse. Glad there is some relation to news with the lyrics. Personally, I think he is talking to himself in the song. Beating himself down. Take from that what you want.