Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 'No Reflection' Lyrical Analysis

Follow Heather Quick On Twitter Add Heather Quick on Facebook Visit Heather Quick's Instagram Channel

Thanks for the transcription! I thought it was "I'm weak seven days a week" as well, but it does sound "I'm weak" when he sings. And I like the Narcissus parallel. Probably that's why Manson says in that interview with Smallzy that the video will have a girl drowning in a toilet.

Also, what's the meaning of deathshare?

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by VCR View Post
    I think he is talking to himself in the song. Beating himself down. Take from that what you want.
    Fantastic reading! That correlates directly with "Should I fuck myself down?" during Overneath The Path Of Misery.

I keep referring back to the Isolation analysis topic because there does seem to be this consistent theme emerging of Manson 'versus' everyone else, which is where I believe the 'Hey, Cruel World' tagline comes from. If it's the opposite of a suicide declaration - "Goodbye cruel world" - then Manson's sarcastically mocking defeat. It's all about the classic Manson dichotomy; 'Suicide Rock' implies a rock and roll celebration of something depressing.

I remember in another Kerrang! interview, perhaps around 2001-02, when asked something about the more 'real' implications of terror suspects usurping his position as a threat to America, he said something like "I'm more of a long-term threat, like pancreatic cancer".
    Typical Manson hyperbole, but I think that's where the direction for Born Villain heads. All the songs or snippets we've heard are very attitude-driven, it's not about self-reflection, which is quite literally why he has "No reflection".

Welcome to Provider Module also, VCR!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Quick View Post
    What's the meaning of deathshare?
    I'd say it's a reference to Timeshare holidays, hence "Deathshare vacation". Timeshare is that thing they do in the states where a company rents a luxury holiday home out to a collective party, and each member of the party is allowed to use it for installment periods per year. So it's like having a luxury property, but you don't have sole ownership or monopoly of it.

Perhaps Manson's referencing phrases such as "You'll understand when I'm dead", or "Each thing I show you is a piece of my death". It's also very similar to other occasions when he's aligned himself or others with 'Holy Days'; "I'm just like a holiday because I make everyone in the family cry", or "You're like a birthday".
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Thanks for the warm welcome S.D.

You are always good with Manson analysis so I am glad my perception of the song is agreeable. I hope with the other tracks Manson stays off the relationship reference train. THEOL was nice, but this is better.

I noticed my lyrics are transcribed character for character on Revolver's site.

I've finally made it!
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

Fantastic post S.D., and I also agree with the Weak One art piece, when I heard it I thought of that too.

Here's something else that Marilyn Manson posted on Facebook back in 2010...
    There is something coming, that is gonna hurt you more than it hurts me. More than simply an album.
    10 May 2010 at 11:15
    Which is very close to the lyrics "This'll hurt you worse than me."

Quote Originally Posted by Aint View Post
    Someone suggested that the lyrics are "I'm weak seven days a week." That makes more sense, but it really sounds like "I'm weak, seven days, I'm weak."

What do you guys think?
    Well...

Quote Originally Posted by MixMastahTee View Post
    I think that makes more sense, but he's clearly saying 'I'm weak'. But it's pretty obviously an MM play on words.
    I agree that he clearly seems to be singing "I'm weak, seven days I'm weak" but that it is also surely meant as a play on "seven days a week."

I'm half-expecting that lyric to be transcribed differently in the album's lyric sheet than it's sung in the song to reflect that.

We'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by MixMastahTee View Post
    Here is what I got from it.

Oh, ah ah ah ah
    Oh, ah ah ah ah, oh

Crushing, cheating, changing.
    Am I deaf or dead?
    Is this constricting construction
    Or just streets with rusty signs
    Of something violent coming?

Oh, ah ah ah ah
    Oh, ah ah ah ah, oh

This'll hurt you worse than me.
    I'm weak, seven days, I'm weak.
    Don't run from me. I won't
    Bother counting one, two, three...

I don't know which me that I love.
    Got no reflection.
    Got no reflection.

Show myself how to make a noose
    A gun's cliche, and a razor too
    I'm not a deathshare vacation, vacant station
    Made of scars and filled with my old wounds

Oh, ah ah ah ah
    Oh, ah ah ah ah, oh

This'll hurt you worse than me.
    I'm weak, seven days, I'm weak.
    Don't run from me. I won't
    Bother counting one, two, three...

Got no reflection.
    Got no reflection.

You don't even want to know what I'm gonna do to you.

Got no reflection.
    Got no reflection.

No Reflection.
    No Reflection.

I've got no reflection.

Anyone wanna help out with the ones I couldn't catch/got wrong?
    Looks damned good, I think you guys all pretty much nailed it!

EXCEPT!

I'd suggest changing that bit of vocalization repeated throughout from

Oh, ah ah ah ah
    Oh, ah ah ah ah, oh

to something more like

Whoa-ah-ah-ah-ah
    Uh-oh-oh-oh-oh
    -oh

since there's a definite "wuh" sound at the beginning as if to say "whoa" yet it becomes something closely akin to an "uh-oh" at its conclusion.

Also, both "whoa" and "uh-oh" seem to relate well enough to the concerns and worries expressed in the lyrics, particularly the warning signs on the street for example, insofar as "uh-oh" acknowledges the danger and "whoa" simultaneously conveys narcissistic awe and the urge to stop, as vocalized with the common horse riding command.

And since it also corresponds to earlier creative vocalizations by Manson like the "uh-uh" vocalizations in "(s)AINT" which were simultaneously rhythmic grunts and lyrics which respond to the incorrect answer to the question of his name before providing the correction that one must "hold the 's'" to get it right, it seems likely that such was indeed the intended effect he was going for in this case as well.

Last edited by Hazekiah; 03-08-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    I'd suggest changing that bit of vocalization repeated throughout from

Oh, ah ah ah ah
    Oh, ah ah ah ah, oh

to something more like

Whoa-ah-ah-ah-ah
    Uh-oh-oh-oh-oh
    -oh
    Good idea. Edited.

I originally had it as *cool vocal noises*. I guess I didn't look deep enough into it ha.
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

Catholic Girls with UZIs johncraze's Avatar

Originally posted by VCR: Personally, I think he is talking to himself in the song. Beating himself down. Take from that what you want.
    ^ Marilyn Manson viewed from a third person perspective. Just like he mentioned.
    Last edited by johncraze; 03-08-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    [/CENTER]
    As a slight aside, if the lyric is indeed "I'm weak seven days a week", then that seems to allude to Manson's 'modern art' piece, We(a)k One, seen in The High End Of Low booklet:-
    [INDENT=2]
    [There] is an A3 scrap of paper on which 14 empty cocaine bags are taped."That's my modern art piece, entitled We(a)k One," he sniggers."That was the first week of making the record. Either we had really poor cocaine or we did a lot."MM 2009 [Kerrang! Magazine]
    Yeah, I had already more or less changed my mind when I thought of these two lines in relation to each other:
    "This isn't a show it's my fucking life" from Vodevil and
    "This art is weak in it's pretty, pretty frame" from Born Again

Even "the weak ones are there to justify the strong" to some degree, referenced in the coke bag display you mentioned.

Also interesting is that based on the initial 30 second clip, many people compared the intro to the chorus in the Death Song, which becomes an interesting parallel considering the seemingly suicidal nature of some of the lyrics.

Did you ever think that maybe "No Reflection" is a continuation and update on "The Reflecting God" as opposed to a vampire reference? When you're the Antichrist Superstar and you're innate nature is to practice as the snake: 'Why do you think God doesn't want you to eat from that tree? It's because he doesn't want you to have power. He knows that if you eat from that tree, your eyes will be: open; and you will be as the gods, knowing good from evl.' [i.e.: the power to make a choice, to influence, to magic(k)] With an entire new facebook generation who's only re-action and response is to log-online and immediately attack, accruing bonus points for the suicides they hope to inspire (albeit subconsciously - 'forgive the little children, for they know not what they do'), it's kind of hard to say anything to them. They're not awake: they're the biggest zombie generation ever. What is their hope and future? The best possible when you go to work, play on the computer, secluded and private in your little cubicle, conversation and interaction so deeply punished...now go home and do the same thing....Where's your recess? What power do you have? In this philosophy: "There is no you; there is only me. [The me]."
    ------------
    I'm no mouthpiece. I just love the man! Put me back in his lap and make him love me: http://thecampaignbook.com/manson.html middle video (click even if it's black and/or blank) http://www.imdb.me/teenabyrd
    "I don't know wish me that I love. Got no reflection!"