Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 'No Reflection' Lyrical Analysis

I can't fucking unhear 'vacation bacon station' god dammit

Add arkahno on Facebook Follow arkahno on Tumblr

I almost sure is:

"I'm wicked seven days I'm wicked"

and not: weak
    it seems more accurate to me.

Quote Originally Posted by arkahno View Post
    I almost sure is:

"I'm wicked seven days I'm wicked"

and not: weak
    it seems more accurate to me.
    Makes more sense to be weak from the lyrics just prior. Also, I listened again it is not Wicked at all. You can tell as when he says the word in question a second time you cannot hear the break for the second syllable of the word "wicked". You can hear emphasis on "eeeek" in the word weak. It is a single syllable word. It is weak.

From all Manson fans in CIS I want to thank S.D. for the great analysis and MixMastahTee for lyrics transcript!
    Quote Originally Posted by VCR View Post
    Personally, I think he is talking to himself in the song. Beating himself down.
    Speaking of "beating himself down". This reminds me of "Dried Up, Tied and Dead to the World":
    Cake up on some make-up to
    Cover all those lines
    Wake up and stop shaking
    ’Cause you’re just wasting time
    He explains it in his book "The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell" (p. 243):
    It was the most self-recriminating I had ever been..
    With him speaking about going back to the roots of ACSS times, feeling this attitude again. Sorry if I'm wrong and for my poor English.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrof View Post
    With him speaking about going back to the roots of ACSS times, feeling this attitude again. Sorry if I'm wrong and for my poor English.
    This song has an ACSS and POAFF vibe to it i find as well. Your English is fine.

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    A valid reading, there's shades of Dorian Gray as well (yes, I went there with that pun). In Isolation recently, I posed the notion of Manson's reflection during The High End Of Low, it's clearly become a burgeoning theme since The Golden Age Of Grotesque, throughout all following albums:-

"I'm a diamond that is tired, of all the faces I've acquired. We must secure the shadow ere, the substance fades."

"No shadows, no reflections here."

"Why is my wound a front door to you? Am I my own shadow?"

As a slight aside, if the lyric is indeed "I'm weak seven days a week", then that seems to allude to Manson's 'modern art' piece, We(a)k One, seen in The High End Of Low booklet:-

[There] is an A3 scrap of paper on which 14 empty cocaine bags are taped."That's my modern art piece, entitled We(a)k One," he sniggers."That was the first week of making the record. Either we had really poor cocaine or we did a lot."MM 2009 [Kerrang! Magazine]
    Also, "You don't even want to know what I'm gonna do to you" is reminiscent of Leave A Scar's lyrical thematic, and things like "I am worse than what you think you'd catch from me" during WOW. It's also very close to "There's not a word for what I want to do to you" during You And Me And The Devil Makes 3, which may in itself lead to "I won't bother counting 1, 2 ,3"?

It's a little like Manson's taking all of the self-deprecation from the last three albums and fashioning them into outward vitriol. That's especially true when you consider "A gun's cliche and a razor too" in relation to "I'm more like a silver bullet than I'm like a gun" and the recurrent razor blade image during The High End Of Low. Interestingly, that album debuted with Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon, and Manson posed on the cover as the "hangman":-

The lyric "teach myself how to make a noose" reminds me of "If the world had one neck my hands would be the 'where' and I would choke all of you down", and "It's on the news or is it the noose" during the aforementioned Arma...Geddon, perhaps implying Manson's teaching himself how to 'make the news'? That's a stretch, but you know, all roads worth walking down and that.
    I enjoyed reading this, thanks S.D.

Original AIDS provider.

A valid reading, there's shades of Dorian Gray as well (yes, I went there with that pun). In Isolation recently, I posed the notion of Manson's reflection during The High End Of Low, it's clearly become a burgeoning theme since The Golden Age Of Grotesque, throughout all following albums:-

"I'm a diamond that is tired, of all the faces I've acquired. We must secure the shadow ere, the substance fades."

"No shadows, no reflections here."

"Why is my wound a front door to you? Am I my own shadow?"

As a slight aside, if the lyric is indeed "I'm weak seven days a week", then that seems to allude to Manson's 'modern art' piece, We(a)k One, seen in The High End Of Low booklet:-

[There] is an A3 scrap of paper on which 14 empty cocaine bags are taped."That's my modern art piece, entitled We(a)k One," he sniggers."That was the first week of making the record. Either we had really poor cocaine or we did a lot."MM 2009 [Kerrang! Magazine]
    Also, "You don't even want to know what I'm gonna do to you" is reminiscent of Leave A Scar's lyrical thematic, and things like "I am worse than what you think you'd catch from me" during WOW. It's also very close to "There's not a word for what I want to do to you" during You And Me And The Devil Makes 3, which may in itself lead to "I won't bother counting 1, 2 ,3"?

It's a little like Manson's taking all of the self-deprecation from the last three albums and fashioning them into outward vitriol. That's especially true when you consider "A gun's cliche and a razor too" in relation to "I'm more like a silver bullet than I'm like a gun" and the recurrent razor blade image during The High End Of Low. Interestingly, that album debuted with Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon, and Manson posed on the cover as the "hangman":-

The lyric "teach myself how to make a noose" reminds me of "If the world had one neck my hands would be the 'where' and I would choke all of you down", and "It's on the news or is it the noose" during the aforementioned Arma...Geddon, perhaps implying Manson's teaching himself how to 'make the news'? That's a stretch, but you know, all roads worth walking down and that.
    Damn it, how are you so good at putting this stuff together so quickly? I got the You And Me... reference in the lyric similarities, but didn't make the 1,2,3 connection as well, let alone all the other stuff in the first day it's been out. Excellent reading though, thanks for putting it all up.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Okay, what I get from this song is it's Manson's ode to narcissism and split personality disorder.

I thought it was less of a self referential thing, and more of a reference to "I'll give you a three second head start" sort of thing. "Don't run from me, you won't get a head start."
    Last edited by iggy; 03-09-2012 at 04:19 AM.

NewYorkRipperQUACK MisanthroPope's Avatar
    Add MisanthroPope on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post

I thought it was less of a self referential thing, and more of a reference to "I'll give you a three second head start" sort of thing. "Don't run from me, you won't get a head start."
    That's my basic take on it. Like, 1, 2, 3, GO! But he's decided not even count because it's not going to matter. You aren't going to win, hell, maybe no one wins.

Follow Scorpion On Twitter Add Scorpion on Facebook Visit Scorpion's Youtube Channel Visit Scorpion's Instagram Channel

Is this constricting construction
    Or just streets with rusty signs
    Of something violent coming?

At first I thought he was talking about the flyers all over the place in LA (who were placed by Shia in august I guess, close to the BV's trailer release). But nah. Any thoughts on that part? I'm curious about it. He probably meant BV itself (the violent thing coming), but I don't get the rusty signs and the constricting construction part, how they connect to each other.