Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cops and Queers

Default Cops and Queers

Whenever being confronted from someone unfamiliar with Manson, I often cite The Dope Show for it's amazing lyrics. A lot of thought must have went into the writing of that song, as the lyrics are perfectly written in such a way that it could be talking about drugs, or it could be talking about Hollywood/celebrities/pop culture etc etc

Anytime the word "drugs" or "dope" are used, it obviously...or not so much to some... actually is a metaphore for Actors/Media, which pissed off a lot of parents who thought their kid was listening to some drug addict song. It's much deeper and more interesting than merely a bland drug song.

Just a quick shitty example: Actors, they say, are made in California, we love...their face...

You understand the point.

You guys are all diehard Manson fans who already know this shit.

My question is about how I've always been confused about the "Cops and Queers/Pigs and Fags" line. I feel like the whole song is lyrical genius in that it's about multiple things at once, without ever breaking character....Except for that line. How does that fit in with the point or message of the song?

Just curious what some of your thoughts are

Follow Scorpion On Twitter Add Scorpion on Facebook Visit Scorpion's Youtube Channel Visit Scorpion's Instagram Channel

I think that's because cops have that stereotype of being so male, so representatively a 'man'. So, queers it's exactly the opposite. ''Make good-looking models'', them comes the sarcasm in the clip. That's because Manson meant cops and queers in the sense of saying the cops ARE queers, in The Dope Show's clip you can see cops kissing each other (cops and queers, but not with the 'and' meaning one and two, this or that, but meaning they are cops who are queers as well). Same with pigs and fags.

It's easy to come up with a sarcastic and sociological view of that line. I could also add to your thought that maybe it has something to do with Cops representing the authority and drugs being a counter culture...extending on the Marilyn Manson ever growing list of dichotomies.

But I want to know how it specifically fits with the fact that the song is about the media and celebrities....perhaps even celebritarian in a sense. Again, it's a great line..."cops and queers". There are all sorts of philosophical things you could speculate on the meaning...but in the CONTEXT of the song, it seems to stand out to me as being off model for what the rest of the song is dealing with.

Cops are again seen in the "I Don't Like The Drugs" video, with there heads missing. He's obviously making a derogatory statement towards the law enforcement of America. Which I'm fine with. This is not intended to be a morality question. I could care less about what he or anyone thinks about cops.

I just want to know how it fits with celebrities and society being addicted to them like drugs..... Maybe "Cops" represent the business suits making shitty decisions in hollywood, and actors are the pretty people...the queers. Haha.

Any other idea's?

Cops and queers. One upholds the status quo by choice. The other goes against it by nature.

Both make for people that can be idolized. Pretty simple.

5. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Agendum View Post
    Cops and queers. One upholds the status quo by choice. The other goes against it by nature.

Both make for people that can be idolized. Pretty simple.
    Both make good-looking (role) models, I like that.

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Conversely, they can be easily referred to in a derogatory manner as well, hence 'Pigs and Fags'.

Thus, making them Villains instead of Roll Models.

9. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Agendum View Post
    Conversely, they can be easily referred to in a derogatory manner as well, hence 'Pigs and Fags'.

Thus, making them Villains instead of Roll Models.
    I've wondered about this line myself from time to time. This makes so much sense I feel kind of dumb now.

That lyric was a pretty bold statement during the years 1998-1999.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Not man enough to b human Manson15Marilyn's Avatar

Cops and queers are like Marilyn and Manson, in the media total opposites but in society both are treated with a lot of notoriety making them both role models for kids. So whether society likes it or not, kids are looking up to queers as much as they are cops because of the media.
    I am your vulture, your immoral sculpture, mirrorman who understands. I know you. I am you, your fantasy, reality.

Don't be surprised I can look you in the eye. It's hard to take you serious when you take me inside.

How the fuck are we supposed to know when I'm a monster in the way you refuse to die? How the fuck are we supposed to know if we're in love or if we're in pain?
    "Are we in love or are we in pain?"

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

For the crux of the juxtaposition between "cops and queers," one needs not look any further back than the Stonewall Riots, in the heavily referenced year of Manson's own birth, 1969.

Three decades later, the idea of "queers" was still somehow distasteful enough a concept to justify not only dropping-out the vocals in the middle of a chart-topping single (wait, WAT?!?), but also blurring out Manson's lips as he sang the lyric.

Never one to shy away from upping the ante, Manson changed "cops and queers" to "pigs and fags" in response.

You know...to placate the offended, lol.

Pretty sure it's as simple as that.

\m/

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post