Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Marilyn Manson Featured on UK BBC Radio 1 - The Rock Show

  1. #1
    Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Norsefire's Avatar
    Join Date: 06.19.09
    Location: UK
    Posts: 4,570
    Rank: Golden Needle
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

    Default Marilyn Manson Featured on UK BBC Radio 1 - The Rock Show


    Marilyn Manson was featured on The Rock Show last night on UK BBC Radio 1. The Rock Show with Daniel P. Carter featured a new interview with Marilyn Manson and new songs The Gardener and Slo-mo-tion from the new album Born Villain.

    The Rock Show is available to listen to for 6 more days on the BBC website, click here. [Marilyn Manson is featured from 1:10:00, The Gardener plays at 1:20:00 and Slo-mo-tion plays at 1:30:00]

    I've quickly transcribed the interview below for anyone who can't access the stream. (apologies about any errors).


    Daniel P. Carter: Marilyn Manson, one of the last of the dying breed, most definitely. A true rock star in every sense, every time we've interviewed him it has been an event.

    First time he came in I told him I was super nervous to start with anyway, got that off my chest. That worked well, real ice breaker. But it was fine because he was working his way through a bottle of absinthe and when our time was up I then sort of blurted out a couple of questions about some stuff that I was interested in. We found out we had some common interests and we carried on with the interview and it was jobs a good'un.
    The next time we was down at Maida Vale when he was meant to be doing a session for us and he turned up absolutely just on another level. So that one didn't go quite so well, in fact I think there was practically nothing we could use of that interview was there? There was a few bits and bobs, it was a tough edit let’s say.

    We caught up with him recently when he was in town doing press for the new album Born Villain. We went up to the Metropolitan hotel, sat around in the bar literally burnt money, might as well of done, it was a good drink but it wasn't that good. Then we got ushered upstairs and I found him to be very different from how he has been previous interviews and stuff. Super humble, really down to earth and really excited to talk about his new album.

    I think it's great.


    Marilyn Manson: "Thank you"

    I think it, it seems funny because I like the last two records a lot as well, but it seems like it bridges sonically speaking, I think bridges the entire career.

    "When you mention sonically, I appreciate that.
    I was very heavy handed in the production in this in fact I played a lot of guitar on it which I haven't as much in the past. As a producer or just as a song collaborator with Twiggy, I didn't want him to write or play what I had in my mind. I just excited him to do what he does and what he had in his mind and then after he had done that if I had an idea, rather than asking him to do what I would do I actually forced myself for the past year, I determined to become a better guitar player.

    So I was able to play my ideas the way I wanted to and not ask him to do something as a puppet of my idea. Although there's an element of collaboration where you do that, I wanted to be able to actually do things on my own if I needed to and that gave me the ability to decide what I really wanted in life. Whether it be in relationships or music, if I figured out I can do what I need to do on my own I really had to stand on my own two feet essentially as a person and as a producer for the record and things like that. So I went into this, things I was listening to was what I listened to when I did my first record, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Ministry, Revolting Cocks..."

    Killing Joke in there as well

    "Killing Joke absolutely, the first track Hey, Cruel World... is Killing Joke, it's 100%, that was my biggest influence was that track."

    Yeah, I think that shows. It's definitely a beautiful thing because it makes perfect sense as you said that's the stuff that you grew up with and fired you up and it makes sense that these are getting draw in now into like the sonic pallet a little more.

    "Yeah and I think I started to, on the last two records became a point where EAT ME, DRINK ME was me trying to be more personal and be more of a singer in some sense. And then on The High End Of Low was a great attempt to be more musical for Twiggy as a guitar player, him like really taking on the guitar and making it certain things in that sense for me I had realize what I may of shunned because it's sometimes when you do something and it becomes something you're good at it's the point in everyone's career when you listen to that one album in someone's career and you say 'Oh I wish they hadn't of done that, I wish they had done that other thing that they do'.
    And not to go back and sound like I did on my first record, it wasn't that I just needed to feel the same way so I just needed to strip everything away.
    So I moved into a studio apartment with nothing on the walls, all I brought with me was my books and my movies and the guitar Twiggy wrote The Beautiful People on. It was limitations, I started painting with only tattoo ink, so I had one colour so that made me more driven to be more creative. If I had a situation where I wanted to record a song I'm by myself with a guitar, I needed to figure out how to do it.

    Like I said, lot more down to earth and humble about things. He's changed labels as well he's now on Cooking Vinyl which has seemed to of imbued him with a certain amount of freedom that he probably might of not been getting at the end of his deal. Here's what he had to say about that...

    "It was very liberating to be off of my past label and be on a new label that I think probably heard the record a day or two before you did. Which is great because that was the faith and determination because they said we want you to do what you do and that's what I did, I do what I do."

    That's what you need though. You don't need someone coming in half way through tracking something and going hey maybe if you do something like this...

    "Then you're a waiter and not a chef"

    Why would anyone even do that? What would sign an artist if you're going to do that?

    "Exactly, that's the thing. It's the same in relationships to sometimes, when you meet somebody and then, a lot of in the past for me like a year or so later someone will say "oh I thought you would change". They suddenly tell you that something that they accepted or swallowed which is like the song The Gardener.

    It's just very strange for me to, I guess have a moment of enlightenment in my life where I realised life can be so much simpler. It was putting all my belongings in storage, making my life very simpler. I have a cat I need to feed, I have a parking lot of a back yard and I want to be happy. I realised that if I look back at the last two records my only criticism of my own life and my lifestyle was that after I finished doing anything whether it be writing songs, or sex or food or whatever element you want to put in, that I wasn't satisfied and not in the way that I wanted more but it didn't make me happy. That's really stupid because if you're doing things in life that don't make you happy and you keep trying to do them then you don't get anywhere, it's just going to keep making you less happy and then you start to doubt who you are.
    I can look back and see that that's what I was lacking in my confidence and determination I think.
    I just had to realise that the most appealing thing I believe in any art form or any person or anything in life is confidence when you see something that's confident, even in nature peacocks for example or lions or whatever metaphor you want to use, someone or something is at its best that's what you're attracted to and that's what I had to realise."

    I think The Gardener is so open, you know?

    "Really?"

    Yeah I think it's very personal.

    "I appreciate that."

    That's probably my interpretation of that.

    "There's a lot of people particularly people's opinions that I appreciate and respect which is yours, have attached themselves at that song. I had said when I did this song and I told you about how I was questioning whether the spoken word version was even right or not because I just read it because I was just reading because I wrote it on a pad, it was about 7am and my voice was just decimated which is when I sound best, gravelled, my sound.

    A lot of my good friends and also people who support me here that song seems to stand out as something that has different, what you said about it is different to what other people have said about it but everybody has something to say about that song. To me that makes me happy because originally I wasn't sure what I was going to call it because it just really seemed it needed to be a centre piece for the record. That and a song Children of Cain because those are the two that actually for the first time in the blues sort of sense, there's repetition of verses which I've never done before because the rhythm of my singing is also different because often I was playing and singing when I wrote it. So I noticed the difference because I've often just sang to the rhythm of what Twiggy was playing, so it became different but there’s a hypnotic repetition to the record."

    This is how he summed up his approach to the new record.

    "I just realised I'm just going to make a record that as long as it drives people that I play to be excited and if I see any hesitation in their expression, of course everyone's going to like something different, everyone's going to attach themselves to something and of course everyone has different type of thing they like. I will play it people who don't even like my music or maybe never heard my music. I had to have that approach, I couldn't have the arrogance that you've heard everything I've done so I can use it to my advantage or disadvantage. I just wanted to be 'hey my names Manson want to hear some music?' And see what people think and listen to everyone's opinion but not let it control me.

    When people say 'I don't care what anyone thinks' I think that's really ignorant. I'm not controlled by what people think but of course I care what people think that's why you're an artist, you want them to think a certain thing and most of all you can't. Confusion is the only thing that can cause change, confusion, chaos, you just have to insert that and that’s the only thing you can do. I've never tried to be shocking, confusing. The minute you're defined you're an ashtray or something."

    ------
    Thanks to Provider Module user 303 for letting us know about this interview.

  2. #2

    Join Date: 03.18.12
    Location: Seattle
    Posts: 295
    Rank: Brilliant Slut

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norsefire View Post
    "... told you about how I was questioning whether the spoken word version was even right or not because I just read it because ... "
    So there is an alternate version of "The Gardener" that isn't spoken?

  3. #3
    Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Norsefire's Avatar
    Join Date: 06.19.09
    Location: UK
    Posts: 4,570
    Rank: Golden Needle
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adonai View Post
    So there is an alternate version of "The Gardener" that isn't spoken?
    From the sounds of it he wasn't planning on having it spoken word but it just happened the way it did with him reading it out and it worked. I wonder if he even did another take of it, if he did it would be cool to hear although I love the track as it is.

  4. #4
    AppleOfSodom's Avatar
    Join Date: 02.10.12
    Location: Porto, Portugal
    Posts: 441
    Rank: Glass Jaw

    Default

    another cool interview

  5. #5
    suphiafilos's Avatar
    Join Date: 02.14.12
    Posts: 169
    Rank: Brilliant Slut

    Default

    Fantastic!
    What made me love him in the first place, was his interviews, what he had to say. So, during HEOL, I was kind of sad that he didn't make any effort during interviews.

    But now he cares again, and I am happy that I've choosen to still believe/follow him :')

    Thank you for the interiew and transcript, it helpped me to follow all his words.

  6. #6
    Fast Food Nude. Whisky And Speed's Avatar
    Join Date: 02.08.12
    Posts: 1,141
    Rank: Crimson Soil

    Default

    But now he cares again, and I am happy that I've choosen to still believe/follow him :')
    God is back!,when I'm God every one dies.


  7. #7

    Join Date: 11.23.10
    Posts: 2,917
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norsefire View Post
    From the sounds of it he wasn't planning on having it spoken word but it just happened the way it did with him reading it out and it worked. I wonder if he even did another take of it, if he did it would be cool to hear although I love the track as it is.
    I really love the timbre and resonance of Manson's speaking voice. It's perfect for reciting prose.

  8. #8
    just become your disease MixMastahTee's Avatar
    Join Date: 06.20.09
    Location: Nevada
    Posts: 2,389
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norsefire View Post
    What in the fuck is wrong with that dude's hand?
    nature is violent, the very nature of this is violence


  9. #9
    Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Norsefire's Avatar
    Join Date: 06.19.09
    Location: UK
    Posts: 4,570
    Rank: Golden Needle
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MixMastahTee View Post
    What in the fuck is wrong with that dude's hand?
    LMFAO I never looked at it that way, it's just a plaster hand holding drum sticks, but I guess looking it now it looks like he does have a fucked up hand.

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster
    S.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date: 06.19.09
    Location: Inkland
    Posts: 2,268
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    It's his Dan Ackroyd face I find more disconcerting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

NEWS | TOUR | BIOGRAPHIES | DISCOGRAPHY | VIDEOGRAPHY | GALLERY | MEDIA & INTERVIEWS
MANSON'S JOURNAL | ESSAYS & ANALYSIS | TIMELINE | FORUM | THEATRE | INFORMATION & LINKS