Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Born Villain Your Reviews

^@Manichaeist Not what I was driving at, but good to know what you like about Tim Skold's best solo record (with guest vocals by MM)

Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    ^@Manichaeist Not what I was driving at, but good to know what you like about Tim Skold's best solo record (with guest vocals by MM)
    and his voice is absolutely stronger on there than on Born Villain...which isn't a qualitative judgment at all, just that his voice is significantly weaker at present than it was when he recorded EMDM.

Agree. His voice is much stronger on EMDM. I actually enjoy how he sounds on that album a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Atom View Post
    But Manson was fat in 2007? He looked pretty good then. Maybe it's because I'm comparing it to how he looks now.

Anyway, I sort of wish "You're So Vain" wasn't on the version of the album I listened to. It fucks up the consistency and makes it so BTSOG has less of an impact as the last song on the album.
    I already unchecked it on itunes, making Breaking the last song. I agree it fucks up the dynamic of the ending.
    Faster Pussycat did the best version of You're So Vain, Manson's isn't even good without that comparison.

As far as EMDM vocally, it's stronger than this record but masked by a lot of effect. I also don't get why people call that record a Manson solo record, it's no more solo than Born Villain is. One other main collaborator outside of Manson himself, what's the difference? b/c people love to stroke Twiggy? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JT_ View Post
    I already unchecked it on itunes, making Breaking the last song. I agree it fucks up the dynamic of the ending.
    Faster Pussycat did the best version of You're So Vain, Manson's isn't even good without that comparison.

As far as EMDM vocally, it's stronger than this record but masked by a lot of effect. I also don't get why people call that record a Manson solo record, it's no more solo than Born Villain is. One other main collaborator outside of Manson himself, what's the difference? b/c people love to stroke Twiggy? I don't get it.
    Born Villain has writing credits featuring MM, Twiggy, Chris Vrenna and even Fred Sablan on one track. EMDM has writing credits for Skold and Manson.

So uuhhh... THEOL was a "film" album. And BV is the "book or literature" album ????? LOLZ. Art triptych???

i'm typically produce *em*n but want to contribute 2*nts here. half of the tracks of this record are filler, which wasn't present on the past two records, it's obvious because two very obvious songs have tracking issues, copy & paste jobs, between chorus verse chorus parts. However, there are three standout tracks which represent growth within the Manson catalog, obviously Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms, Murderers:etc, The Flowers of Evil. - - - I question the technique of not resting between takes for the best vocals. Example: You're so Vain has really good vocal work, compare that too Breaking The Same Old Ground (which sounds like a THEOL out-take).

Arguably the worst part of the record is not the music, or the vocals, but the post processing, specifically adding Flanger and Reverb effects and distortion to vocals. Mansons finests moments are limited to echo and chorus effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Adonai View Post
    I kind of agree with you on this.

"You're So Vain" is a complete 180 from the rest of the record and seems like a joke, and/or some sort of novelty to help sell the record. I couldn't help but laugh and shake my head at the end when I heard it. It's not a terrible cover, I actually sort of like it, but I do agree that it gave "Breaking the Same Old Ground" less of an impact.

Although I do agree with Manson that it does feel like "end title credits" music . (http://www.fuse.tv/2012/04/manson-ex...th-johnny-depp)
    Yeah, has happened to me for the last 4 albums. (All Australian versions inc bonus tracks).

GOAG - Tainted Love. Don't care for the closing track but this song is just bad.
    EMDM - The title track is the perfect closer and poweful end to the album..then two awful remixes of HSG comes on.
    THEOL - 15 ends, another great closer and another terrible remix of Armaggeddon comes on.
    BV - As above.

I just wish they would have deluxe editions available that were two discs. (Eg live recordings, remixes) and leave cash in tracks like this OFF the disc.

I keep listening to the new album and I think it's beginning to grow on me, to some extent at least. Even if Manson's vocals aren't what they used to be, there's a stronger element of pathos with his recent work, and I think that's hard to overlook.

(...)
    Last edited by vilebody; 12-25-2012 at 07:18 AM.