Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Born Villain Your Reviews

Add arkahno on Facebook Follow arkahno on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Quick View Post
    /\

One of the best things about Born Villain is seeing the old school fans loving it. I have two friends who are Manson fans since Antichrist came out and they just LOVE the album, one of them was really impressed, because he didn't have high expectations regarding the album.
    Yeah, I'm a long time fan, and the album is higher than my expectations, is the album I have been waiting for, is weird because I really love the last two albums, but in other kind of way.
    I love all the layers and textures and all the dark-bizarre vibe that the album seems to be covered with.
    Last edited by arkahno; 04-26-2012 at 10:31 AM.

After listening to the album quite a few times the only thing that bothers me is the vocals on some tracks. Manson sounds really sloppy and I can't stand the "howling" shit he does sometimes. It's still way better than what I expected and sounds more focused than THEOL. There's not really any songs that I dislike on it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Atom View Post
    After listening to the album quite a few times the only thing that bothers me is the vocals on some tracks. Manson sounds really sloppy and I can't stand the "howling" shit he does sometimes. It's still way better than what I expected and sounds more focused than THEOL. There's not really any songs that I dislike on it either.
    I decided to listen to the album and forgo my initial plans of waiting for the album to arrive. After several listens, I feel the same way you do.

Musically, this album is great; I'm a huge fan of gothic rock and post-punk so I appreciate the influences of Joy Division, Bauhaus, Killing Joke etc. scattered throughout the album. On paper this should be an album that I love. However, I'm left with mixed feelings because Manson's performance is noticeably sub-par. I'm not really a fan of his 'howling' or wailing or whatever the technique may best be described as, and I feel that the lyrics aren't very engaging and are rather repetitive. Although it may have very well been the intention to deliver something with a raw, first-take sort of feel, his slurred and sloppy annunciation are only counterproductive in my opinion, and his screams just don't pack the punch they used to have. I didn't really think his vocals were that bad on the previous two albums, but I think Manson's vocals are in danger of becoming 'shot' and I sincerely hope he takes better care of himself, or he'll sound like Ozzy on his recent albums.

I'd like to apoligize yesturday for kind of being a rude asshole. I got my album yesturday in the mail but had a messed up head issue that I get and couldn't listen to the cd I was waiting for, for over a year. It put me in a bad mood and negative comments were just pissing me off. But they are opinions and I shouldn't have let them get to me. Sorry to everyone I was being mean to.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisky And Speed View Post
    EMDM received some positive feedback at the time it came unlike THEOL.
    THEOL got plenty of positive feedback. Many fans considered it a sort of "best of" of MM material. Pretty as a $ being ACSS, 15 being MA etc.

It's a shitty record, but there was plenty of love for it when it first came out.

Also Kerrang gave BV 3/5 sorry I can't find a better scan:

Quote Originally Posted by Atom View Post
    He doesn't enunciate anymore but I've noticed a lot of the imperfections are in his double tracking, a lot of them aren't sung perfectly in sync together so it just sounds messy.
    What's up with the UGGHHHHHH after words, No ReflectionUGHHHHH? he's been doing that for a few records but it's at it's worse currently.

Sad to say that Manson's vocals is the weakest point on this record.
    I want to love it but I just have so many issues with it, plus the damn repetition of the lyrics is brutal.
    On 'Hey Cruel World' the same paragraph repeats 2x in the first verse and it's also the damn chorus! that's lazy writing. Sorry.

Fast Food Nude. Whisky And Speed's Avatar

thanks iggy, what i meant to say was that I remember that when EMDM came out it had better review and reception between both fans and magazines.It's tour was more sucssesful and it's musical work was much more stronger.It didn't receive the amount of shit THEOL received between fans I mean not magazines.Musically speaking, the music in HEOL wasn't bad in terms of solos and riffs etc,... but it lacked the spirit and the spark and the focus.If we omitted we are from america ans blank and white and armageddon the album would have been more focused on one story and concept but the opposite happened added to this the lack of imagery and visual aspects and avertising too.Moreover, manson was in a bad place then,but saying that THEOL it's music I mean music without lyrics even is dog shit is pretty much delusional despite the fact that there was weak tracks musically like we are from america.

I like positive and OBJECTIVE discussions that have a contructive input not some chilish trashing and bashing like bull crap and dog poop etc,.... just keep it civilized and enjoy the music.

Thanks for the scans and if you have a scan for any EMDM reviews like the one you put here I'll be gratefull.

yeah, I mean, it's pretty obvious his voice is completely shot. there's so much processing on his vocals just to make him sound decent and there are only a handful of places where he really pushes himself vocally. most of the time he's doing this sort of half-talking thing and really playing to the advantage of having processed vox. I don't think what he's doing sounds bad in this context, though. just have to accept that we're not going to hear the Manson from 10+ years ago (or even 5 years ago) anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JT_ View Post
    He doesn't enunciate anymore but I've noticed a lot of the imperfections are in his double tracking, a lot of them aren't sung perfectly in sync together so it just sounds messy.
    What's up with the UGGHHHHHH after words, No ReflectionUGHHHHH? he's been doing that for a few records but it's at it's worse currently.

Sad to say that Manson's vocals is the weakest point on this record.
    I want to love it but I just have so many issues with it, plus the damn repetition of the lyrics is brutal.
    On 'Hey Cruel World' the same paragraph repeats 2x in the first verse and it's also the damn chorus! that's lazy writing. Sorry.
    I noticed this UGGGGHHHH in slowmotion too.It's a mix between masnon changing styles and his apparent voice change.
    Last edited by Whisky And Speed; 04-26-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manichaeist View Post
    yeah, I mean, it's pretty obvious his voice is completely shot. there's so much processing on his vocals just to make him sound decent and there are only a handful of places where he really pushes himself vocally. most of the time he's doing this sort of half-talking thing and really playing to the advantage of having processed vox. I don't think what he's doing sounds bad in this context, though. just have to accept that we're not going to hear the Manson from 10+ years ago (or even 5 years ago) anymore.
    If you scream a lot your voice gets shot and he abused his voice in the end of breaking the same old ground and the long scream in hey cruel world and overneath the path of misery.I studied voices and singing and I know that this screaming is wrong and shots even the strongest voices on earth.