Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Born Villain Your Reviews

I am listening to this for a second time now and I'm not exactly sure what to think. It will grow on me. For starters, I actually did like The High End of Low and it seemed during that time most people did as well, but who am? Born Villain definitely keeps its interest....great hooks, lyrics that aren't so focused on the women in his life, and experimental. However, it seemed to kind of lose its touch and become almost "boring" half way through before picking back up. Again, this is only after one listen.
    Some of my favorites so far:

Hey, Cruel World
    No Reflection
    Pistol Whipped
    The Gardener
    Murderers are Getting Prettier Every Day
    Overneath The Path of Misery

Totally could do without ANOTHER cover song. I am definitely getting this off of iTunes tomorrow when available in the U.S.
    Last edited by DecayingSinner; 04-30-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotJesus View Post
    I uploaded a track-by-track review to my music channel.

Skip to the end to see the Good VS Bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzCId...&feature=g-u-u
    0_o woww... haha that's you? I had no idea. I had seen your vids before but didn't know you were a member. Cool.

O_O
    Last edited by TheTeletubbieFlasher; 06-18-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Born Villain already #6 on itunes

not bad for a band that doesn't get a lot of mainstream air play

Can't really sit down and listen to it in one take like I wanted to, time is so precious where I'm at, but on the way to and from work I've been listening to it, and I'm up to The Gardener. I like it so far.

Follow Kollaps On Twitter Add Kollaps on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by DecayingSinner View Post
    I am listening to this for a second time now and I'm not exactly sure what to think. It will grow on me. For starters, I actually did like The High End of Low and it seemed during that time most people did as well, but who am? Born Villain definitely keeps its interest....great hooks, lyrics that aren't so focused on the women in his life, and experimental. However, it seemed to kind of lose its touch and become almost "boring" half way through before picking back up. Again, this is only after one listen.
    Some of my favorites so far:

Hey, Cruel World
    No Reflection
    Pistol Whipped
    The Gardener
    Murderers are Getting Prettier Every Day
    Overneath The Path of Misery

Totally could do without ANOTHER cover song. I am definitely getting this off of iTunes tomorrow when available in the U.S.
    Hey man, I absolutely agree with you - I think the middle of the album really dulls down. I really HATE slo mo tion now.... I think it is a terrible song and really wish it wasn't on the album. And argh, that cover of 'You're So Vain' is absolute shit and it REALLY cheapens the album for me. I'm praying that it won't be a single..

Other then that, I think it is great..

Terror Peen

First time to go through the whole album. Very much happy with this release. I see no point in reviewing track by track, but this is grade-A work from the band that I'm sure will continue sounding more familiar with repeated listens. I wouldn't claim this as their best work, but it's got plenty of what I enjoy about Manson to leave me with a huge smile. Can't go wrong with that. The album seems skeletal at times and muscular at others. Get the general sense of feeling filthy and yet decadent. It's a lot to take in after only one listen, which means there's plenty on my plate left to enjoy. Here's to those future nights of rocking the fuck out in my house and on moonlit backroad drives.

Thanks, Manson and Twiggy.

Probably the first MM album that I have listened to in full with out stopping in a long long time. I couldn't tell you half the songs off the albums released since Golden age.

No Reflection has got to be up there with best MM singles.

Alumni

We (hubby and I) listened to this last night for the first time. Initial views are "intrigued". The sound on it is good, the lyrics interesting. I haven't had enough of a listen to say what track may be my favourite. What it does feel like is an album of album tracks, which is not a bad thing, I just don't feel there are massive standalone's. I think some of the directions are very clever and different, although I did feel that sometimes a song would change direction musically when it may not have needed to, which on the initial listen meant I didn't feel completely immersed in the album.

But as I said, it's left me "intrigued" and I can't wait to give it another listen and better gather my thoughts on the tracks. But for the initial and first listen I would say Manson has done a good enough job. There was nothing I didn't like at all.

'Ghost in the Machine' General Spook X's Avatar

What can I say? They're 'Breaking the Same Old Ground' : D A brilliant and unconventional album with brilliant and unconventional sounds. I loved every track and a lot of them really stood out to me. I think I literally listened to Born Villain nearly four times straight the day it came out and with only about 4 hours of sleep for work the next day! Well worth it though ; ) and rewarding as well.

It is interesting that they are using some of the same sounds from past efforts. Like the intro to 'The Flowers of Evil' sounds the same as the home screen for the Guns, God and Government World Tour DVD. And how his voice for the intro to 'Overneath the Path of Misery' reminds me very much of 'Prelude (The Family Trip)' from Portrait of an American Family. I love the parallels there. Also how he says, "Use your fist..." in 'Breaking the Same Old Ground' and how that reminds me of the song 'Use Your Fist and Not Your Mouth'. It's almost like he is wrapping up the last albums and saying that this marks a new beginning for him. And I guess that's pretty obvious after reading interviews with him shamelessly admitting that this can be viewed as a comeback album.

Kinda funny, but the beginning of the song 'Born Villain' immediately reminded me of Eminem's song 'Marshall Mathers'... and how ironic is it that both of these songs are also the title to their albums. Hmmm, interesting..... ; )

On another note... I look around and read the forums and want to say how tired I am of hearing people more or less saying how crummy the last two albums were. I really don't get it, I absolutely LOVED them and connected with them just as much as all of the other MM albums. Give them some fucking credit and let them sink in a bit, my god.
    Last edited by General Spook X; 05-03-2012 at 08:44 AM.