Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Born Villain Your Reviews

Children Of Cain is PERFECT. I love all the tracks except Born Villain but I feel like it will grow on me.

I'm loving Born Villain right now. There's some really great stuff on it. It's eclectic enough to remain interesting but the tracks still flow quite nicely. One problem with THEOL was how all over the place it was and it also seemed a little too long. BV sounds more focused and vital than the last 3 albums. Only time will tell if I still enjoy the album a year from now (as I can't even be bothered to put on THEOL anymore).

I need to listen to it more before I decide to get into specific tracks. However, right now I feel this is by far his best album since Holy Wood.

Hey Cruel World
    Starts off slow then bursts into classic and heavy Manson. Like a better produced Little Horn. Maybe just a bit too long 9/10

No Reflection
    A fun danceable pseudo metal track. I prefer the radio edit, the album version is way too repetitive. 7/10

Pistol Whipped
    A seemingly simplistic song, it grows as the song goes on. The new WoW/User Friendly. 9/10

Overneath The Path Of Misery
    Not different enough from the Born Villain trailer to be noticeable. 7/10

Slo-Mo-Tion
    The best on the record imo. Dirty, sexy, bass heavy and features the best lyrics he's come up with since MA 11/10

The Gardener
    This is where the record takes a turn for the (much) worse. Everything about this song is just embarrassing. From the cheesy lyrics to the horrid spoken word delivery and the flat out BORING music, there's just nothing to like in this song. The only reason it doesn't get a zero is because it technically is music. 2/10

The Flowers Of Evil:
    I want to kill you like they do in the movies mixed with any generic emo band from 2004. The sole redeeming quality of this song is that MM's vocals seem to be strongest here. 4/10

Children Of Cain:
    Another horrible song. Manson's vocals sound awful, the keys are over done, it sounds like a shitty cover band trying to rip off something from MA with incredibly embarrassing lyrics. 2/10

Disengaged
    After a slight detour into Suckville, we come back to Awesometown. Love everything about it. The music, the vocals, this song is a little on the slow side for something this heavy, but it's fucking fantastic. 9/10

Lay Down Your God Damn Arms
    This one's a little iffy. There's some genuinely awesome musical layers here... then Manson starts singing. The lyrics and vocals are painful to listen to, but if you can get past that there's a pretty decent song here. 7/10

Murderers Are Getting Prettier Everyday
    Heaviest/hardest Manson ever. O_o 10/10

Born Villain
    Starts off great, then you realize that the entire song is the same as the intro. Not too bad, but nothing all that impressive either. The outro saves this one. 8/10

Breaking The Same Old Ground
    Love everything about it. Except the chorus. 9/10

You're So Vain
    An oddly faithful cover of the original. That's a good thing. 8/10

the good far outshines the three shit tracks. Overall BV is his best record since ACSS, it's not ACSS 2 but it's the follow up that record deserved.
    Last edited by iggy; 04-25-2012 at 05:36 AM.

^ How the hell are Disengaged and Breaking The Same Old Ground better than Overneath, The Gardener, Children of Cain, Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms or Born Villain?

Seriously, HOW? What have you been listening to?

Overall BV is his best record since ACSS
    As much as I'm loving this album, it's not. The best record since the last past 10 years, I agree.

Cause it breaks my heart that we live this way

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    ^ How the hell are Disengaged and Breaking The Same Old Ground better than Overneath, The Gardener, Children of Cain, Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms or Born Villain?

Seriously, HOW? What have you been listening to?

As much as I'm loving this album, it's not. The best record since the last past 10 years, I agree.
    Well, the last four because they're terrible. Overneath? I just wore that one out with the trailer. And I personally dislike MA. A lot. This is 100% better than anything post ACSS. I'm allowed to have an opinion, if you disagree that's great, but don't pretend you're the sole fucking authority on music. kthx.

It’s been a hell of a long time coming. Marilyn Manson, once popular for up heaving the music industry, fell into a state of sorrow and stagnation following his 2003 effort The Golden Age of Grotesque. Many followers would probably have you believe that 2001’s Holy Wood was the last “masterpiece” he put out with much of what has followed just filling the gaps and burning the bridges of his broken relationships and self pitying.

Born Villain is in essence a rebirth for the band and Marilyn Manson as a persona, only metaphorically speaking though as the record shamelessly steals bits and pieces from pretty much everything they have ever produced, this is in no way negative though and actually provides the album with a sturdy backbone and provides and instantly familiar feeling. As such, Villain is highly recommended as a starting point for the Manson uninitiated.

The opening track is a stomper, Hey, Cruel World… is a strong start and builds upon a distorted pulsating riff with guitars and breathy vocals. The track descends into thumping bass driven barbs with trademark Manson wines and growls. I find this track incredibly addictive; it has a definite punk influence and is my personal favourite opening track since Great Big White World. (8/10)

No Reflection is next, this track was launched as the albums lead single, and also provides Villain with it’s most commercial and radio friendly moments. This song is Manson death disco and perfect to dance too. The rhythm is bouncy and overlaid with whispers and sighs eventually leading into a somewhat repetitive chorus. This song is saved by the strength of its bass and attention to detail, certainly not the albums shining point. (6/10)

What a long introduction, this song has divided people it seems. Pistol Whipped is a grinding; pulsating, sexy tune that grinds it’s way through Manson trying to catch his breath. Nuances in this song such as the dual vocals and the dirty guitar strings really help prepare you for the quality of production on this album. Something fans haven’t seen since 2003, arguably. I personally feel the track falls a little flat with it’s lyrics, I guess no one cares when a song is this much fun. (7/10)

It’s been known as Born Villain, No Reason… now we have the final version of what is now known as Overneath the Path of Misery. It opens with a quote from Macbeth, harping back to the vocal delivery of Portrait of An American Family. This song takes no prisoners, and should be played loud. Lyrically it’s one of the albums strongest, sonically it is jaw dropping. Proof that Marilyn Manson still has a lot to give and definitely on par with material from earlier albums. The song kind of plods along until breaking down into high-pitched screams and spoken word for the bridge and chorus. Very unexpected and brilliantly crafted, the bass on this is simply fantastic. (9/10)

Okay, I have a soft spot for Mansons more “produced” and “synthetic” songs, a la Mechanical Animals. This song HIT THE SPOT for me. The lyrics are sarcastic and quirky and the vocal delivery is pant wettingly hot. Slo-Mo-Tion is such a clever little track with amazing attention to details in the form of lots of little noises and blips scattered all over. The delivery of the lyrics is my favourite part; it’s almost in slow motion (see what he did there?). Of all the tracks on Born Villain this is the dirtiest, definitely one to grind too. (9/10)

You wouldn’t be blamed if you thought that a NIN song had been accidentally placed on your copy of the album, very reminiscent of Only, only with more confidence and more thump. The Gardener reminds me of The High End of Lows more experimental moment, WOW. The spoken verses work surprisingly well and are carried effortlessly along with powerful bass and guitars. The breakdown toward the end helps break up the monotony and showcases some of Manson’s clearer vocal performances in a long time. My only gripe with this is that it feels like it could have been more. (7/10)

The Flowers of Evil is next, featuring a lengthy introduction comprised of noise, this time more reminiscent of albums like Smells Like Children. This is another track that has divided opinion; I’ll say right now that it’s one of my absolute favourites. Musically it’s varied and interesting and follows brilliantly from The Gardener. The track is unexpected and goes places you think it wont, it layers itself slowly, progressively building up to a fantastic climax. Lyrically I like the zombie references, I assumes it’s about being dead (or undead) in some form. His vocals are crisp here, and the wailing and growling toward the end had my knees buckling. Kudos to Vrenna, even more great synthetic nuances. (9/10)

Oh, how I love the introduction to this track. Another track reminiscent of NIN, this time in the form of Closer (this quickly changes however). Children of Cain is interesting and took some time to grow on me, it would have fit in place on Holy Wood and has the same goth / doom sound to it. Very bass driven and very deep it’s another track that pounds along to Manson wailing and growling. Lyrically it’s interesting containing clear references to religion and politics and possibly even witchcraft (?) I can imagine that this could be interesting live. (8/10)

Disengaged is the only on here I’m still not sure on. It has a very distinct sound, the instruments sound booming and dull, almost blunt. It’s another thumping number, with more growls and whispers. It’s a little similar to No Reflection, but has more fun with its guitars and the shocking introduction of a piano toward the end. Lyrically I think it’s weak, and I find the chorus boring. I can see the appeal; maybe it will continue to grow on me. It’s certainly nice to have a track as heavy as this considering the lack of them on the past two records. (6/10)

Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms follows, finding Manson experimenting with rhythm and vocal delivery. Interestingly it pays off, I didn’t love this song initially as it doesn’t seem to go anywhere in particular but the bass and guitar work is brilliant and builds up to an unbearable crescendo. The breakdown at the end won me over, I love the vocal work and the heavy thrashing of the instruments. This song is loud and bombastic and will go down very well live I imagine. (7/10)

This next song has got to be Mansons loudest work since Holy Wood. Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day is like a punch in the face and it refuses to let up from beginning to end. The guitar work here is amazing, so relentless. Lyrically it’s very fitting to Antichrist Superstar and has a similar feel to it as some of the heavier tracks from that album. The added siren at the end was a surprise that I was unsure of, it sounds fantastic on headphones however. The latter third of this track grabs you by the throat and throttles you until it’s conclusion. I really hope he can pull this off live as I think it has the most potential. (8/10)

Born Villain, luckily, let’s up and gives you ears a much-needed rest. The opening reminded me a little of Four Rusted Horses which worried me initially. Luckily this develops far beyond that and crafts a really interesting sound quite unlike any of his previous work. I’m not sure if this song is a ballad per se, it is however slow and melodic with sharp and clear vocal delivery. The lyrical repetition works effectively on this track helping it to bury it’s way into your head; Born Villain encompasses the album brilliantly, and clearly defines Manson as a weapon or a gun. My only complaint at this point, which can be said for a few of the songs here, is that this would have benefited greatly from live drums. (8/10)

And onto the albums official closer, and only real full ballad. Breaking The Same Old Ground has a Coma Black / Man That You Fear feel to it, I love this track and think it’s a great way to close such a relentless and heavy album. Lyrically it could be stronger but again, the attention to detail here and the heart wrenching vocal delivery really elevate it above any of the ballads found on the past two records. It doesn’t fuss too much about being too interesting or experimental and plays it relatively safe, but to say that it’s possibly the only track on here that does, that’s impressive. A special mention to the key change at the end, a masterful trick! (9/10)

Here is another album closer (only this is a bonus track) and another Marilyn Manson cover song. You’re So Vain sticks very closely to the original, and has a brain melting introduction… How great this would be on a dance floor. The addition of Johnny Depp isn’t noticed, which is either good or bad depending on how you look at it. Manson rarely disappoints with his cover songs and this is no exception, its one of his more basic renditions and sticks to simple sounds and vocals. The rolling guitars and bass provide a great hook and sound tasty through headphones. I have to say this is one of my favourite covers of his due to its raw sound. Fantastic. (9/10)

Overall 8/10
    Last edited by Gavin.Pickle; 04-25-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    Murderers Are Getting Prettier Everyday
    Heaviest/hardest Manson ever. O_o 10/10
    I read this everywhere and I don't know why. People said the same about Pretty As a $ too, it's like every new heavy song with screaming becomes the new heaviest song. Imo the majority of GAOG is still Manson's loudest.

Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    Well, the last four because they're terrible. Overneath? I just wore that one out with the trailer. And I personally dislike MA. A lot. This is 100% better than anything post ACSS. I'm allowed to have an opinion, if you disagree that's great, but don't pretend you're the sole fucking authority on music. kthx.
    This is 100% better than anything post ACSS you say, but no, you're not pretending anything. I just answered with my opinion the same way you wrote your analysis. Saying that this is better than MA or HW... is like saying we don't even listen to the same artist.

Cause it breaks my heart that we live this way

Echoing the sentiment, best album since Holy Wood. This is the Manson album I've been wanting the last decade, and it's rocking my fucking balls off. Every song.

On a cultural level, Manson has always been a symbol & a character. He's stepping back into that role finally with Born Villain after the last 2 records, and I think that's one of the reasons the album works.

Right now the suffering points are easy to overlook. The production is clean, polished and sterile. I think some live drums would have taken it to the next level, but the programming is fine. It's the best production he's had since GAOG, but doesn't match what came before.

Manson's voice is shot, multi-tracked and pitch-corrected to hell. He has a very distinct and interesting quality to his voice, and I'd be curious to hear what he could do with it on an album if he embraced the flaws sort of like Iggy Pop, Leonard Cohen or Serge Gainsbourg. They settled into their voices instead of acting like it hasn't changed in 20 years.

Still, one of the best albums I've heard this year so far, and I never thought I'd see myself saying that again, ever. Fuuuuck.

That album was OK I guess. It's nice to hear new Manson material and that's about it. Can't see myself listening to it much after a couple of spins this week. 4/10 I guess.
    "Through the darkness of future past, the magician longs to see, one chants out between two worlds, fire walk with me"