Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

View Poll Results: Is Born Villain a "comeback?"

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 58.93%
  • No

46 41.07%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Consider Born Villain A Comeback Record? [poll included]

I say fuck yes.

Claiming anything is your "comeback" just sounds desperate really and by saying it out louf you're liable to jinx the whole thing. If it really is his comeback he shouldn't say anything and let the music speak for itself. I respect a "take back" more than a comeback.

Though, that being said the new record is certainly strong enough and Manson is certainly on fire enough for this to fit the typical qualifications for the comeback label. As erroneous as it sounds.

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

Come back to creativity and experimentation? Yes. Comeback doesn't mean popularity wise, in his recent words.

It's a good album to the fans, but the majority of fans will be pleased by whatever he does. It was nice to hear after The High End Of Low, but that album was a huge disappointment. However, I don't see this album doing a whole lot for non-fans. Honestly, it's a reasonably good rock album, but it's not "a real hit." If it wasn't by Manson, it might be an album I download and listen to every once in a while, but it wouldn't be an album I shit my pants over or listen to repeatedly every day.

If 'comeback' means it's better than the last album, then certainly. If it means 'Manson is back', then no, not really. It doesn't come close to the great albums conceptually, musically, or lyrically. I think a lot of the opinions here are a bit blinded by 'new album excitement', as is to be expected.
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

Quote Originally Posted by MixMastahTee View Post
    It's a good album to the fans, but the majority of fans will be pleased by whatever he does. It was nice to hear after The High End Of Low, but that album was a huge disappointment. However, I don't see this album doing a whole lot for non-fans. Honestly, it's a reasonably good rock album, but it's not "a real hit." If it wasn't by Manson, it might be an album I download and listen to every once in a while, but it wouldn't be an album I shit my pants over or listen to repeatedly every day.

If 'comeback' means it's better than the last album, then certainly. If it means 'Manson is back', then no, not really. It doesn't come close to the great albums conceptually, musically, or lyrically. I think a lot of the opinions here are a bit blinded by 'new album excitement', as is to be expected.
    Agreed.

Cause it breaks my heart that we live this way

Quote Originally Posted by Manichaeist View Post
    personally, I don't think he'll ever get the degree of relevancy he had even when TGAOG came out and was the #1 album in the country in its first week. but if we can accept that the dude has basically wallowed in obscurity for close to 5 years, is it possible he'll re-enter the public consciousness again? I'm not sure. it's so difficult for anything comparable to what he does to reach a wide audience anymore and while I think there is some commercial sensibility on Born Villain, I don't think it deliberately panders to the mainstream either..
    I don't even think he necessarily wants to be in the public eye again, at least not like he was in the 90's. He had become a celebrity and used it to his advantage and as a part of his art. That era is over, and lately his work has been more introspective and less to do with fame.
    I think by "comeback" he meant a return to form, a return to the Marilyn Manson his fans expect.
    He knows he has a core audience, and probably embraces being more of a cult figure now, rather than a rock star/celebrity.

Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    A comeback as in finally putting out a good album after a decade of utter disappointment? Fuck yes.
    Agreed.

I wouldn't call it a comeback, I like TGAOG and EM,DM is my favourite album after AS, MA and HW. The only weak album that I dnot' come back to was THEOL, but I still don't think it's a reason to call it a comeback.

I voted no only because he never needed to "come back" he was always there. It was your choice to listen or not. Based on tastes, agenda, expectations or whatever. If the question was "Is this record a successful release" I would have answered yes.

Instead of just a simple yes/no, I'm curious to know what everyone defines a proper comeback as.

I think Michael Gira of Swans said it well when they were recording what they also called a comeback album in 2010:

"THIS IS NOT A REUNION. It's not some dumb-ass nostalgia act. It is not repeating the past. After five Angels of Light albums, I needed a way to move FORWARD, in a new direction, and it just so happens that revivifying the idea of Swans is allowing me to do that."
    You could apply a lot of that quote to Manson's recent direction. By reviving the idea of Marilyn Manson, the concept of the villain itself, Manson's ironically enough allowing himself to move forward after exploring a more romantic and emotional career arc.

This is the guy who after the triptych, wrote a song with the lyrics "Nothing left to say anymore," and talked frequently about how he'd given up on music--hence the greatest hits, songs about imitators, etc; but now Manson's back, and he's returned with his most audible and concise message in a decade. If you don't consider that a comeback, then what is?

Follow Iulian On Twitter Add Iulian on Facebook Follow Iulian on Tumblr Visit Iulian's Instagram Channel

I think I'm the only one who thinks GAOG and EMDM are his best works, musically (not lyrically or as concepts etc).
    This new album is lyrically strong, the lyrics could stand as poetry, as someone said here, but musically.. a big no from me.