Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

View Poll Results: Is Born Villain a "comeback?"

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 58.93%
  • No

46 41.07%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Consider Born Villain A Comeback Record? [poll included]

No, just because Eat Me, Drink Me and The High End Of Low weren't well received doesn't mean that Manson was absent from the music industry or the public eye. The gap between Lest We Forget and Eat Me, Drink Me would be the only thing i'd call a 'slight' comeback. If Eat Me, Drink Me and The High End Of Low were recieved well, would you call Born Villain a comeback? Of course not.

Born Villain is a fantastic album, but it's not like the band split up (eg Ministry) or anything like that. Besides, who's to say the album is going to be critically well-recieved? Most music sites/magazines haven't reviewed it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SysteMM View Post
    it's not like the band split up (eg Ministry) or anything like that
    Considering the change up in the last 6 years alone I say there was a super split. There is no "long lasting member" left in the band besides the man himself. You could count twiggy, but he went to another band for about what...5 years? so I say that there was a huge split. Bad to see pogo gone. I loved him so much even though there was no need for him.

I hate his arrogant attitude now. He is acting just like gidgit did and the way scott does. There is always two sides to a story but I think he could use his MM history as leverage in the music industry without being bitter about it publicly. his fault or not. That would be the most professional way to do it. It is too late for scott, he has been riding the spookykids/acss train for way too long.

Not trying to derail the convo here, just ranting :P

NewYorkRipperQUACK MisanthroPope's Avatar
    Add MisanthroPope on Facebook

To me, no. I really like and even love some songs from Golden Age, EM, DM, and High End. I can easily see why people would say that it is, though. Honestly, I haven't found any of the new material very relatable to me but I suppose that is my problem. All his other albums came out in points of my life where they could have been the score to that time period. They were therapeutic.

Follow NapalmHeart On Twitter Visit NapalmHeart's Youtube Channel Visit NapalmHeart's Instagram Channel

YES and NO. When Manson talks about his comeback, I think, he means the comeback of his old spirit and inspiration. The album itself is no comeback, since he never really left and actually did quite a lot since The High End of Low.

Quote Originally Posted by VCR View Post
    Considering the change up in the last 6 years alone I say there was a super split. There is no "long lasting member" left in the band besides the man himself. You could count twiggy, but he went to another band for about what...5 years? so I say that there was a huge split. Bad to see pogo gone. I loved him so much even though there was no need for him.

I hate his arrogant attitude now. He is acting just like gidgit did and the way scott does. There is always two sides to a story but I think he could use his MM history as leverage in the music industry without being bitter about it publicly. his fault or not. That would be the most professional way to do it. It is too late for scott, he has been riding the spookykids/acss train for way too long.

Not trying to derail the convo here, just ranting :P

If every other band member left Manson tomorrow, and MM himself just toured with a back up band that wore make-up it would make little difference to his career. Not saying it's right, but it's true.

I don't know. I don't think that I would consider it a comeback. I really love Eat Me, Drink Me, and it's tied with Holywood for being my favorite album, so I don't think Born Villain is better than it. I guess when compared with Golden Age and High End, I think Born Villain is stronger overall. I listen to Born Villain all the way through and don't skip any songs. With Golden Age and High End, I skip a few songs. However, I think there are a few songs on those albums (Spade, (s)AINT, 15) that blow everything on Born Villain away.

Quote Originally Posted by Falling4YourOwnLies View Post
    I don't know. I don't think that I would consider it a comeback. I really love Eat Me, Drink Me, and it's tied with Holywood for being my favorite album, so I don't think Born Villain is better than it. I guess when compared with Golden Age and High End, I think Born Villain is stronger overall. I listen to Born Villain all the way through and don't skip any songs. With Golden Age and High End, I skip a few songs. However, I think there are a few songs on those albums (Spade, (s)AINT, 15) that blow everything on Born Villain away.
    I sort of agree. Although I would actually put Born Villain in front of Eat Me, Drink Me. The Golden Age of Grotesque is in a world of it's own.

I agree that Born Villain isn't a comeback. When Manson stated, "this is my comeback record," I guess it really set my expectations even higher because I also felt like he never left. A "comeback" to me meant the whole classic "Marilyn Manson package." I was expecting more visuals of the band, a jewel case, a booklet (with lyrics and artwork,) maybe a slip cover, a kick ass record similar to Mechanical Animals or Holywood, and a fit Manson tour complete with theatrics and a new keyboard player. So far I haven't seen any of that. Yeah, his North American tour obviously kicks off tonight. So. We'll see.

I must admit that the video for "No Reflection" kicks ass, as does the Born Villain Trailer. Those feel like a comeback. The recent photos are awesome as well, even though they feel like a mix between Eat Me, Drink Me and The High End of Low. I guess so far it's just thumbs down on the tour, presentation, and packaging. (Yeah everyone, the packaging is a big deal to me. Get over it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Manichaeist View Post
    to the person who voted no, do you really think The High End of Low is better?

follow up question: do you really think The High End of Low is better than anything?
    I definitely agree that Born Villain is his best work musically since The Golden Age of Grotesque, so I wouldn't say The High End of Low is musically better. I will say that as a whole package The High End of Low is better than Eat Me, Drink Me, and possibly even Born Villain. I love all three fairly equally though, I think they even mix and play well together.

Default How do you measure a COMEBACK and does Born Villain fit the bill?

Let's get this out of the way. -> I love the record and this is not bitch thread about how I feel disillusioned as a fan or any of that stupid bullshit.

I do admit though, that I found it a little disappointing when Manson called this his "comeback album." At the time, it was because I felt (and still do) that if it really is a comeback you wouldn't have to tell anyone it was. Saying it out loud negates the whole thing. A "comeback" is something which must be proven. If you tell people it's a comeback they just become skeptical and you end up looking desperate.

I also feel like a "comeback" implies a return to or improvement upon the kind of popularity/vitality and strength an artist once held at their PEAK. Otherwise, it's not so much a "comeback" as just it is just "coming back." Albeit, better than you have been in a while.

If that all sounds confusing, let me just ask you all what your thoughts are:

Born Villain seems like the record we've all been waiting a long time for, but is it the "comeback" record we've all been waiting for?

It's a comeback album in the sense that Manson returned to his roots with music. Even if each song sounds different from the last, it's a conglomerate of what Manson was aiming to become, which started out during Eat Me, Drink Me and the amazing guitar solos produced by Tim Skold.

As to the World as a whole, no. It's just Marilyn Manson's "comeback" to being himself again.

I would say it's more of a personal way to describe Marilyn Manson (the band and the man) going back to their roots. As Mason said "Born Villain is a comeback album in the sense that he actually enjoyed making it" he said similar. Not really an exact quote.