Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

View Poll Results: Is Born Villain a "comeback?"

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 58.93%
  • No

46 41.07%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Consider Born Villain A Comeback Record? [poll included]

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Marilyn Manson has addressed this several times, so I think we should take his word for it. It isn't really a "comeback" to shock the
    mainstream and be your parents bogeyman again. It's about him getting back to where he thinks he should be as a person and an artist. When he describes "Born Villain" as the grandest concept record of all time, I interpret that as it having no meaning other than how it creates a puzzle that you can put together any way that you feel it fits. It's about confusion. It's about having an ere of mystery again. It is whatever you want it to be.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Its a cum back album!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeletubbieFlasher View Post
    Its a cum back album!

I like that answer, and it's much more fun than post after droning post dissecting Born Villain, and whether or not it constitutes a "comeback" or a blowback. Inspecting and dissecting every word and nuance takes the fun out of everything, not just music. If you like it, you like it; if you don't, you don't. No need to explain why.
    More cowbells.

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dream View Post
    It's a comeback album in the sense that Manson returned to his roots with music. Even if each song sounds different from the last, it's a conglomerate of what Manson was aiming to become, which started out during Eat Me, Drink Me and the amazing guitar solos produced by Tim Skold.

As to the World as a whole, no. It's just Marilyn Manson's "comeback" to being himself again.
    That's well put.

I think, musically, I'm with you. It definitely has a culminating feel. And the guitar work, hell all of the instrumentation, is fantastic. One of my first thoughts when I listened to records was how much credit Twiggy should get for songwriting. Then when I read the credits and discovered that Manson himself had written a lot of the music, I was dually impressed. It's great that he managed to put something together that not only draws from the strength of its predecessors but also manages to feel new and forward.

Anyhow, I'm not sure the same can be said for the whole package. In the whole "coming back to himself" sense, the emphasis seems to be more on the music than the performance, artwork, conceptual details. Far be it for me to bitch about a musician making the music their priority, but there's a level of excitement and intrigue that existed flipping through the album art for ACSS, MA or HW for the first time that we don't have with Born Villain. And as much as I'm sure the live shows are the best they've been in long time (the pictures coming out sure seem to prove that), there was a time when you would get to troll the internet to find the smallest detail on the latest live set piece to appear from show to show. Everything I've read seems to suggest that some of the new songs were begging for a more dramatic performance.

I think, as I've said before, the only fault I really find with this era is that it feels like it never really began and that Born Villain is the best album that no one has seemed to have heard.

These are minor gripes, so nobody should get bent out of shape. I'm not really bitching. And besides it seems like interviews and live shows are getting better everyday...In fact, fuck it, I'm just glad that Manson is in a place where he's energetic about creating something again. In that sense, he's managed to redefine comeback, the way he seems to redefine everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity Killing Spree View Post
    is it the "comeback" record we've all been waiting for?
    No, Born Villain doesn't feel like a comeback to me at all (the Born Villain trailer certainly made it feel that way before its release though!) I'd say this record is about right on par with The High End of Low and Eat Me, Drink Me.

The new music videos are better than anything put out since The Golden Age of Grotesque, there are a couple of neat songs, there seems to be more energy this time around, and Manson can scream again. Whoopie. Yay.

Other than all that ? A scaled down stage show, mediocre lyrics, a claim that this album is a comeback, and terrible album presentation (physical release with no booklet, hokey cover song as a bonus track) all lend to my opinion. That and I honestly don't have the desire to listen to Born Villain right now. Most of it is just boring, forgettable, obvious, and kind of dumb. Much like his last two records.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity Killing Spree View Post
    That's well put.

I think, musically, I'm with you. It definitely has a culminating feel. And the guitar work, hell all of the instrumentation, is fantastic. One of my first thoughts when I listened to records was how much credit Twiggy should get for songwriting. Then when I read the credits and discovered that Manson himself had written a lot of the music, I was dually impressed.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Adonai; 06-20-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Visit kleiner352's Youtube Channel

It's not a comeback. It's just not. As far as restoring his image to the public as a rockstar and a viable, important musician, it did not pull that off. His sales are worse than the last album, promotion wise it's been lackluster beyond belief, the first leg of this tour was a fuck you to the fanbase at large, it just doesn't have that feel to it. Musically I see where it's strong and that yeah, it's sort of him returning to his roots but I don't enjoy how it does not feel like it's own record but rather borrowing off the success of the past records. What I love about each MM album is that every album sounds distinct, and BV has maybe four songs that truly feel distinct to me (Overneath, Born Villain, Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms, and the Gardener). Lyrically it was a lot of cliches and re-treadings of the same subjects.Musically there are many moments where it's obviously trying to be what their old albums were, and you can't just do that. It has to be a natural thing or else it just won't work. I don't think it worked on this one. It's a good, solid album, but it's not a strong comeback in the sense that something like Holy Wood was (not to say that he needed a financial comeback after MA or anything, I mean image-wise and simply recovering after the whole media-crucifixion of him over Columbine, he came back out, arms swinging, not willing to sit back and take everyone's shit).
    Kleiner352 liked this post

EvilDead, in all of his glory:

Original AIDS provider.

I get what Manson meant when he called it a comeback in regards to returning to his roots, but I don't really consider it a comeback as I wasn't aware he'd gone anywhere.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Most people I mention Manson to are unaware that he's made an album in nearly 10 years.

^Sounds about right.