Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Count To Six And Die "Click, Click, Click, Click, Click"

Default Count To Six And Die "Click, Click, Click, Click, Click"

I'm fairly positive that everybody on these boards is aware of "Breaking The Same Old Ground's" similarity to "Coma Black," but has anybody else noticed this interesting reference to "Count To Six and Die" from the title track of Born Villain?

"And you know I'm loaded
    But not which chamber
    Touch me and I'll go
    Click click click click click
    Click click click click click"

I found it odd at first to repeat the word "click" five times, thrice, especially knowing that repetition in music is typically in fours (or eights). In "Count To Six and Die," we only hear the first five chambers of the gun click, leaving the listeners to either fill in the rest for themselves, or to assume that with the fireworks at the beginning of the album were the final chamber going off. Now here again in Manson's lyrics, we hear five clicks, repeated three times (needless to say, three has been a huge numerical symbol of Manson's). I could have sworn that somewhere in one of the songs on the album I heard a similar sound to the gun being loaded in "CTS&D", but that may have been the music box being wound in "Breaking The Same Old Ground." Regardless, I think that there may be some more grounds for this relation to The Triptych than just being a similarity.

Also, I have a fairly decent interpretation of Born Villain worked up, but I'll have to listen to it a few more times and make sure that I'm at least somewhat on the right track before making a fool of myself posting it on here.

after listening to the album over and over, i do wonder if some of the "music" was anything they had left over from the HW sessions

Quote Originally Posted by dopedevil73 View Post
    after listening to the album over and over, i do wonder if some of the "music" was anything they had left over from the HW sessions
    This. I see BV as more HW than anything else. I wouldn't doubt if he reworked some material. One thing I keep trying to imagine is how the album would have sounded if he recorded it right after HW, vocally that is.

I'm keen to hear your interpretation.

I don't think it's a reference to "Count to Six and Die". I think it's just a reference to guns/suicide/murder and the chamber clicking at the beginning of "Pistol Whipped" is simply an obvious play on the title (Pistol Whipped).

Quote Originally Posted by A Better Messiah View Post

"And you know I'm loaded
    But not which chamber
    Touch me and I'll go
    Click click click click click"
    I was going to create a thread dedicated to these lyrics but I will just throw it here since you mentioned it in the topic. I find these lyrics contradictory as there are is no 15 chamber gun. So is he really loaded? I don't know much about guns, but arn't guns that have a cylinder limited to 6,8 or even 9 bullets when he mentions 15 here? Since he says "but not which chamber" he cannot be referring to a gun that is loaded via clips.

I believe that the gun is only being "loaded," or "shot" five times. It is just repeated thrice. It would be a six-chamber pistol, like at the end of Holy Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by A Better Messiah View Post
    I believe that the gun is only being "loaded," or "shot" five times. It is just repeated thrice. It would be a six-chamber pistol, like at the end of Holy Wood.
    Exactly what I was thinking. The 5 clicks hint at the next trigger pull which, like on Holy Wood, would be the 6th.

So by repeating it three times there is an allusion to the 6th, 6th, 6th.

And since Holy Wood was followed by the fireworks, this may also be a reference to the hand grenade that never stops exploding.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

The end of Count to Six I believe is the shutter of cameras pitched down

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    The end of Count to Six I believe is the shutter of cameras pitched down
    Yeah but there's also 5 clicks followed by silence.

I'm thinking it has something to do with playing Russian Roulette and then stopping after five empty chambers because there is no longer a question of where the bullet is. So there's not really any risk or surprise in what the next move will bring. Or that WE don't know which chamber, but he does and it's a matter of trusting him that there is tension and stress involved and the perceived threat of severe injury, but he isn't really going to kill anyone.

EDIT: Or maybe it's a metaphor for Manson shooting blanks due to some sort of alcohol induced impotence.
    Last edited by Sans Agendum; 05-06-2012 at 04:17 PM.