Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Vinyl's Martin Goldschmidt On Marilyn Manson.

Default Cooking Vinyl's Martin Goldschmidt On Marilyn Manson.

How did the Marilyn Manson deal come about?
    I just got in touch with his manager [Tony Ciulla] and hounded him, really. That's what I do. It wasn't that hard, but the manger knows what he wants and tends to get it. He's a brilliant manager. Why did Manson sign with us? I don't know. I don't know why we got the Prodigy. Every major wanted the Prodigy. They could have got a better deal. But I think that they felt this would be a really good home for them and the same with Manson.

What are your targets for "Born Villain"?
    It's shaping up amazingly. I think we'll do in the first week what the last one did in the life of the record... It's [down to] a number of things. One, Interscope dropped the ball on the last record, without any shadow of a doubt. Secondly, Manson has delivered the best record that he's done for many, many years. And thirdly, we had all these exclusives lined up for the single ["No Reflection"] around the world and then Manson leaked it to KROQ and blew them all. That turned out to be a stroke of genius by the bastard. We're already getting more radio play than the whole of the last record. It was a masterstroke by maverick Manson.

Didn't the leak cause lots of problems with the other platforms that you exclusives arranged with?
    Of course, but we've learnt from it. We now do record company exclusives and management exclusives and we only guarantee the record company ones. Manson's the last great rock star. He's does his own thing and it leaves a trail of chaos in his wake.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indus...06953952.story

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Aint View Post
    "Why did Manson sign with us? I don't know."
    He absolutely missed a trick here by not replying, "No reason."
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

Funny about the single exclusives, sounds interesting and I wonder what they would have been but I think getting it out there on the radio and then out on iTunes was a good move and also having the limited vinyl.

I like that Goldschmidt didn't go all Interscope on that question but rather stepped up to acknowledge Manson's KROQ strategy was a brilliant marketing ploy. It also answers the question some people had about the seemingly lack of promotion on the part of Cooking Vinyl.

Seems like that band is finally in the right place!

Exactly how was Manson releasing the single to a radio station a brilliant marketing ploy?

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity Killing Spree View Post
    Exactly how was Manson releasing the single to a radio station a brilliant marketing ploy?
    Just a guess, but KROQ sort of sets the standard nationwide for rock-oriented radio. Having Manson publicly endorse the single there probably had a lot to do with the fact I heard it on a radio station while driving through the central Illinois wasteland between Chicago and St. Louis at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity Killing Spree View Post
    Are you asking me or Goldschmidt (he called it a "stroke of genius")
    and I think you mean "leaking" it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aint View Post
    It was a masterstroke by maverick Manson.
    and it was!

Quote Originally Posted by AssetReign View Post
    Are you asking me or Goldschmidt (he called it a "stroke of genius")
    and I think you mean "leaking" it.
    I can't ask Goldschmidt, so I'm just asking generally what people think he means by the statement. :)

I don't think sending a new rock single to a radio station whether on time or early is necessarily a big deal. They were going to get it and play it eventually. Sure, Manson did jump the gun, but getting a radio station to play your new single isn't so much "a stroke of genuis" to me as it is fairly obvious.

I don't know, maybe there's more information behind it, though. That's why I'm asking.