Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'The Gardener'

Fast Food Nude. Whisky And Speed's Avatar

Default 'The Gardener'

Hi, I want to reflect on these lyrics from Manson's song the Gardner.I want to reflect on one verse that I feel it holds a certain message.

Iím not man enough to be human
    but Iím trying to fit in
    and Iím learning to fa fa fa fake it
    fa fa fa fa fa fake it
    fa fa fa fa fa fake it
    fa fa fa fa fa fake it
    ffffffffffffffa fa fa fake it
    Here in this verse, I find an opposite to the infamous triptych.That means that the ACSS,Mechanical animals, Hollywood were a triptych in an inverted, backward order whereas the last three albums were the opposite and in a forward order.When we listen to Hollywood then mechanical animals then Antichrist super star we get the message behind them.Manson was Adam the human,the worm then the metamorphosis from a worm to a butterfly took place and the angel spread it's wings and Manson became the Antichrist and the man that you fear.On the other hand, if you listened to eat me drink me and the high end of low then born villain you will find that the message is forward and it's quite the opposite.Here Manson reclaims his humanity back as we read in the verse.

Manson says above that he isn't man enough to be human but he is trying to fit in and fake it.Here we get the feeling that nature runs it's course backwards, as the butterfly returns to it's cocoon again and transforms into a worm again.It's Manson reclaiming back his humanity even if he isn't human enough he want to fit in and fake it.In eat me drink me we find a man who screams that love is a fire and it burns all things then we find him singing that he reached the high end of low yet he never surrenders and he sings not letting you win won't satisfy me.Then in born villain we find that Manson screams I don't know which me that I love? the worm or the butterfly? the Antichrist or the human?.Manson has mentioned that this song is in the middle of the record because it has a central theme.I find that the theme is his transformation from an Antichrist to a sinner human being, a villain.he is someone who is regaining his human emotions back even if he can't he will fake them.

When the moth transforms into a butterfly it leaves it's dark cocoon to go out to a vast world full of sound and light and human beings,it's no longer isolated.

As I mentioned above in the record and in this era that nature runs it's course backwards,as Manson left his flamboyant, celebrity life style to live in a dark lair in obscurity.Here we find that the butterfly returned back to it's cocoon as Manson returned back to the isolation he encountered in his childhood and early teens , but this time voluntarily,by his own choice.He found his happiness and solace in being away from people and from the noisy celebrity life style, he isn't that social outgoing person of 1998 despite going out with friends and partying sometimes.This isolation is a part of this backward transformation from the non-human anti Christ to the human being and from the butterfly to the worm again.It's Manson without mismatched milky contact lens and eyebrows shaved and chalky white powder,he is showing us more of a human face.He is trying and faking it.

Do you think that the Antichrist is dead yet?

This song always reminded me of Mechanical Animals. Not the music but the story behind Mechanical Animals. In MA, the story was that he was an alien trying to adapt to this world. Hence the lyrics :

I’m not man enough to be human
    but I’m trying to fit in
    and I’m learning to fa fa fa fake it

I also on the "phant" I made a comment about how the song Eat Me, Drink Me in my mind had the same story as Tourniquet and ACSS, with the butterfly

This is one of the reasons why I love Manson.. Puts out a great album, then informs us (hopefully with another new album) that BV was link to a story
    Last edited by dopedevil73; 05-07-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisky And Speed View Post
    Do you think that the Antichrist is dead yet?
    I don't think he ever existed to begin with. I think the "Triptych" was made up as he went along. There was no great plan involved. I think ACSS was created with great help by Trent. Using a focal point that would cause a lot of controversy propelled by Mansons energy at the time. Fuck it, lets tear apart christians and be the anti christ. It sold, it worked.

With Mechanical Animals, I think it was to do the polar opposite as ACSS as not to become a ACSS2 cliche and repeat what was just sold. It was a very ballzy move and it worked. There was writing references between the two records because well, we have the same writer between the two.

When Holywood was written I think it was a softer attack on religion as a whole. Another attempt to capitalize on that market without the dark side. Manson is intelligent, noone can argue that. But to say this triptych was planned during ACSS is hard to believe for me. Just like with the track 1996 recorded in the future. I think that was a typo and was never caught until it went to press's. The easy answer was to be mysterious and go with the typo. Creating some bullshit story instead of going "whoops, we fucked up".

After Holy Wood was released it was very easy to say that it was a backwards story as yeah as a whole and if you care to listen, and chase the story it all relates to each other. But I find all of mansons music relates. If I could go back in time and fuck shit up I would put BV where MA was and keep the triptych story and it would still fit. Why? because it never existed to begin with.

It frustrates me beyond belief when people still reference ACSS, or the whole Triptych story record after record. I do respect opinions, and it is not a personal attack on anyone. I just find it annoying. There are relations with themes yes, but that is because Manson, as a writer will always have a central writing core regardless of release flavor. That goes with anyone who has the ability to create art, or music.

Guns, flowers, god, monkeys, self abuse. All these seem to pop up on almost every record. I have been saying since THEOL and now with listening to BV that EMDM to BV is a triptych backwards about relationships. Cringeon stopped me to inform me that BV was a stand alone release but I think he was missing the point I was trying to make. Manson could indeed make that statement and fans would run with it, and everything would "make sense" people might have more respect for EMDM and then expect at least 3 more records, speculate about the next triptych. etc.

It was all made up on the fly. Manson said it himself. He sells his shadow to those who are standing in it. For me personally, that is how I see the big picture. The triptych story never existed until after holywood was created. Just like when he announces BV->EMDM was a triptych in the short future haha.

Oh, and I love The Gardener. One of the best tracks on the record.

Compare the Gardener's lyrics to the ones from Learning To Swim. Exact same message.

NewYorkRipperQUACK MisanthroPope's Avatar
    Add MisanthroPope on Facebook

Nothing really to add but I assumed Manson lifted the "I'm trying to fit in" part from American Psycho.

Actually, I suppose the whole chorus could have been American Psycho inspired.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

I can totally see the Mechanical Animals connection in this song too, thanks for bringing that up dopedevil73, I never looked at the song in this way until now.

I'm sure I've heard or read the lyrics "don't ever meet their friends" or "it's all ruined if you meet their friends". I went through MM's status updates but couldn't find anything there, but they seem so familiar like either MM has said one of those things before or it's in a film.

After reading all the replies, I went ahead a read the lyrics again to this song.. I can almost paint the story in away with the tie in with Mechanical Animals...

Alien trying to fit in/adopt to this world
    trying to be human
    learning to fake it
    fakes it enough to realize what he became

Now look at the first lines of New Model No. 15

"I'm as fake as a wedding cake"

I don't think that Born Villain is connected to the Triptych as some people make it out to be. Sure, some concepts overlap, but that's because Manson's mind is focused on particular themes or works in certain patterns, but a connection isn't as close as say Mechanical Animals is with Holy Wood. With art being so ambiguous at times, I'm sure you could find a connection between, like Portrait and Golden Age, but that doesn't mean that a literal and intentional connection was intended to be made.

"I'm not man enough to be human, but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it" pretty much describes the crisis that he has been dealing with in the past couple of years. People want to change him to fit their needs, or to fit their expectations, and the song deals with interacting with a lover's friends. There's a hint of American Psycho in there too, which I'm sure most fans aren't surprised by, because the movie has been referenced by him multiple times.

I agree with Dope Devil.

I also stick by my comparison to Learning To Swim (off the Lunch Box demo tape for anyone who doesn't bother with the ancient stuff.)

I wanna be the fish
    I like the way he swims
    I bend my arms to fins
    Ego scales my skin

I grab a sharp stick
    And I cut my gills
    The water rushes in...

I'm too young
    To live this life

I wanna be the fish
    I like the way he swims
    I grab a sharp stick
    I'm too young to live
    Inside this life

They want me to stay
    This life I cannot feign
    They want me to stay
    This life I cannot feign
    They want me to stay
    This life I cannot feign
    He's not fish enough to be a fish
    but he's learning to swim
    and trying to f-f-f-feign it.

Predates American Psycho, btw.

This could be a totally unrelated reference and sheer coincidence, but I thought it was pretty cool nonetheless.

Wood must realize she has a reputation, and not merely for being among the most gifted actresses of her generation. "I don't know!" she says, laughing. "I'm constantly changing, I'm constantly growing. I think I'm a little controversial? ... I just try and keep some mystery, so hopefully people can't really put their finger on it."
    http://www.esquire.com/women/women-w...#ixzz1wHaGfNN1