Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Antichrist Super Friends

Alright, I guess it's Part II time.

Batman: The Guardian of Hell.

This requires a little bit of a history lesson, which I'll try to keep brief.

According to most Levantine religious systems the old sun god gets replaced by a new sun god at some point in the mythology. This occurs with Osiris who gets replaced by his son Horus after his death. The same thing happens with Baal and his son Tammuz and so on across different cultures. Same story different names. The interesting part is that the former sun god typically becomes the new god of the underworld in death. With Osiris this was because Isis couldn't find his wiener. Skip ahead several centuries and the Greco-Roman system has Saturn/Chronus being usurped as the celestial king by his son, Zeus/Jupiter, in a clear parallel to the older stories.

That said, we can connect Batman to Saturn/Osiris/Baal in two ways. One is the underworld aspect. Not only the Batcave aspect, which makes a nice metaphor for Hades, but also because Batman's career was born in death. In this case the deaths of his parents.

Another nice parallel is that Baal specifically was revered as the "two-horned" god, originally as the "Solar Bull" and later as the "Lunar Calf" symbolized by the crescent moon's resemblance to bull horns. This fits nicely with the two horns on Batman's cowl.

At this point in the mythology's development the struggle between the greater god of the sun and the lesser god of the moon becomes emblematic of day and night, ruling alternately. For those that didn't put it together Superman is the solar powered sun guy, the day.
    Superman was typically more popular than Batman, except during the mid-60s, up until the late 80s when Batman became and remained much more popular, as he is to this day. The moon has now eclipsed the sun.

Okay, great. Batman and Superman are the sun and the moon. What does that have to do with Marilyn Manson? The High End of Low features direct allusions to Saturn/Osiris/Baal. Devour has that god-awful line about "swallow(ing) up all of you" as Saturn did his children. Manson clearly alluded to the painting "Saturn Devouring His Children." And Into the Fire deals with the concept of ending up in Hades/Hell, just as Saturn did when overthrown by Jupiter. The concept of the song is even along the lines of revenge, with threats of sharpening his bones and such crazy shit. If you look at the lyrics from the point-of-view of someone who has been usurped and is bitter about it, they make a whole lot more sense.

Taking a break.

Next: The monkey.

Part IIb

This is Evolution.

The original incarnation of Super Friends featured two "normal" youngsters, a male and a female, that were presumably present to give viewers without superpowers someone to relate to. Their names were Marvin and Wendy. They also had a dog called Wonderdog.

It may be surmised that these two represent the masculine and feminine aspects. Supporting this theory is their names: (M)arvin and (W)endy, a young (M)an and (W)oman. Wonderdog could then be said to represent the animal nature present in all humans. Marvin clearly aspires to be more than human, however, donning a shirt with his initial and a cape, like his heroes. Despite Marvin's ambition Wendy is often the only one of the two that actually manages to do anything useful. There is a distinct lack of harmony between the male and the female.

Fast forward to the next incarnation of the series and Marvin and Wendy are nowhere to be found. Instead we see a new male/female pairing. The Wonder Twins, Zan and Jayna. Accompanying these two is a new animal companion. Not a mere dog, but a chimp named Gleek.

Unlike Marvin and Wendy, Zan and Jayna are more than human, possessing strange powers. According to the series they are extraterrestrials from the planet Exxor. Their appearance is testament to this as they have a unique skin color and pointed ears. This representation of the male/female aspects is clearly superior to the homo sapiens of the previous version. Unlike Marvin and Wendy, these two dress just like the god-like Super Friends. It's as though Marvin and Wendy have evolved.

Neither Zan nor Jayna is inept in this pair. They work together in balance and often save the day. Their only weakness is that they must be together to activate their powers.

By combining the masculine and feminine they are able to harness the harmonic powers of the Androgyne, an act that is beyond mere mortals.

Which brings us to Gleek, who would represent a human being, in contrast to the superior beings who are his masters. Gleek is the base animal man that the Wonder Twins have become superior to.

"The primate's scream of consonance is a reflection of his own mind's dissonance"

I think that most in the MM community are familiar with how this relates to the themes of male/female, evolution and Nietzsche-esque self-realization found within Manson's work.

P.S. Born Villain is the Joker as people pointed out several months ago.

"...my new camera equipped with a flash."

The Gods at Mount Olympus

Further Reading:

http://www.tower.com/superheroes-god...wapi/111294449

http://www.poptheology.com/2011/03/graven-images/

This thread is certainly an interesting read. I do want to point out that the shock logo is probably just that, a shock logo. We have them on every machine at work and I always think of Manson walking by them.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty shackleford View Post
    This thread is certainly an interesting read. I do want to point out that the shock logo is probably just that, a shock logo. We have them on every machine at work and I always think of Manson walking by them.
    Yeah, it's a really common symbol for electricity. Did you know that it's earliest recorded use was to represent the lightning bolts thrown by Zeus? As such it came to basically mean "the power of the gods." Kinda neat when you think about how we still call electricity "power." Power plants, the power's out, etc.

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/16/1618.html

Also interesting:

Danger
    http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/16/1616.html

Poisonous
    http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/09/098.html
    Last edited by brian219; 06-14-2012 at 10:49 PM.

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

Last edited by Dronepool; 06-15-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Gotta love Grant Morrison.

Found this in a post by S.D from last year:

http://www.providermodule.com/forum/...ll=1#post85382

I'd remembered seeing this somewhere and after a half hour of searching the internet I finally found it....here on PM. Derp.

Anyway it just shows that others have connected Manson and the Joker, even comic book creators.

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

<3 Grant

If Joker is Marilyn Manson does that make Trent Reznor Batman?

He's the goddamn Trent Reznor :-P

Visit kleiner352's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by brian219 View Post
    Gotta love Grant Morrison.

Found this in a post by S.D from last year:

http://www.providermodule.com/forum/...ll=1#post85382

I'd remembered seeing this somewhere and after a half hour of searching the internet I finally found it....here on PM. Derp.

Anyway it just shows that others have connected Manson and the Joker, even comic book creators.
    Also the Revolver photoshoot where he had the Joker makeup.
    Kleiner352 liked this post

EvilDead, in all of his glory:

I think someone should interview Manson and take all these comparisons and show it to him and ask him flat out what he thinks about them because even though Manson thinks a lot about his next move, you could assume that some things are just plain coincidence and not something he planned on doing, but his fans make the comparison and it just seems natural.

I would love to hear an interview on what he thinks of stuff like this and his hardcore fans that analyze everything he does.

Sorry for the double post

Quote Originally Posted by Dronepool View Post
    <3 Grant

If Joker is Marilyn Manson does that make Trent Reznor Batman?
    Then Atticus Ross would be Robin and Twiggy would be Harley Quinn