Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Quit Smoking

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

Day 3 - This was the best awful decision I've ever made. And @Terrapin, you seem to really have a grasp on how to quit with as little discomfort as possible. Just get past the first 3 - 4 days. Everything you've had to say, to me, says that you'll be successful. It's a fucking horrible habit. I didn't even start smoking until I was 25. I was a cig nazi. I despised cigarette smokers. 5 years for me, and I think 7 for you? It shouldn't be too hard. Just don't think about it too much. Go buy any acoustic guitar. That's all I've been doing. Guitar, cleaning, working out, writing, typing. And get some of those e-cigs. Sorry if that was all jumbled up, my brain is a bit fucking scattered right now. Oh sweet withdrawls.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Fast Food Nude. Whisky And Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    As the starter of this thread, I ask that you please keep the "pro-smoking" comments out of here. If ya want a "smoker's lounge" feel free to create one, just leave that stuff out of here. I get that it's a joke, but it's really doing nothing to help. Thank ya in advance.
    Hey Moderator, I was replying to iggy and Llama and it's somehow a joke, not so serious .BTW, you gave a nice idea for a topic.

thanks.

I quit cold turkey. I didn't ease into it, or use a patch, or nicotine gum, or anything else. The first few weeks I found it was easier to stay committed if I avoided the activities I most associated with smoking. When you quit smoking, you feel the benefits right away. It's not like losing weight, which is typically a gradual process. Every day I felt clearer and healthier. That was the immediate pay-off for me. Plus you save a shitload of money.

This is a super interesting article that addresses the role of the amygdala in smoking and smoking cessation. It's one of the first studies to really look at it from this angle. Was published in Neuropsychologia this past May.

A major focus is placed upon resting-state and cue-induction studies documenting that nicotine addiction is associated with aberrant amygdala activity. Importantly, unprovoked abstinence-induced nicotine cravings have been shown to interfere with the amygdala’s ability to detect and adequately respond to harm signals. In light of this empirical evidence, we propose that impaired amygdala-guided harm avoidance and executive functions may be instrumental in maintaining nicotine addiction despite serious health consequences.

More generally, transiently diminished amygdala reactivity during smoking abstinence may compromise threat perception and reduce the effectiveness of public health awareness campaigns based on fear appeals, such as warning labels on cigarette packaging depicting the fatal consequences of cigarette smoking, from having their intended effect to promote abstinence. This concept is further supported by the observation that amygdala reactivity to smoking cessation messages correlates positively with the success of a smoking cessation attempt.
    I totally recommend reading this whole thing. Download here because I had to use university access to avoid having to pay for it

Muddy Knees

Very much appreciated to the both of you. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Tackling this at all different angles possible.

EDIT: Fantastic article and insanely introspective in regards to the biological effects in a whole new field. Something I can pick up again and again to objectively assess the effects of cessation. I hope they continue doing studies on the amygdala activity because it seems like they really hit something of use here.

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

A lot of people swear by this guy.

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye

^ I hope you have ppl cheering you on (off the board) because that support helps tremendously. I would also put aside the money you would usually spend on ciggies because watching it pile up in a jar or whatever is also a great motivator. Once you feel you've passed that point of not returning to being a smoker, take that money and splurge on yourself because you deserve it.

Muddy Knees

Yeah, I'm getting moderate support. No one in my general vicinity, but I do feel like I could be inviting those people in on this. I'm usually on my own 95% of the time, so it's difficult to know what kind of support they would actually offer. I have heard this used before, so thanks for the recommendation.

The idea of putting money aside is already in the works. Having goals to look forward to every week, for example, as a pay-off for quitting and then extend the time-period for savings as necessary.

As cliche as it may be, one day at a time is solid advice.

That's true, AssetReign. Although I take it 2 days at a time. I look in the mirror and say to myself, "Just for today, and possibly tomorrow, I won't smoke a cigarette."

Then I flex and ooh and ahh at my sexy, non-smokin' bod.