Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Quit Smoking

^ Ayup, beauty-wise there are less wrinkles and lackluster complexion worries for non-smokers. Plus you have more stamina and can hold your breath longer. ;)

I've quit smoking by switching to Swedish snus, which is a tiny pouch of tobacco you place in your upper lip that delivers nicotine into your blood stream. American snus (camel, marlboro, etc) sucks and is treated with chemicals, fuck that, but Swedish snus (ground tobacco mixed with water, salt, flavoring if desired and an alkylizing agent) is safer and delivers more nicotine to the blood stream. It isn't juicy so you don't have to spit like a hillbilly, and nobody can tell I even have one in my lip. You can snus indoors outdoors, at work, etc.. I purchased a roll (10 cans, 20 pouches each can) of Jakobsson's Melon (delicious, 14g nicotine per pouch) and it really eliminated the feeling of ripping peoples faces off that I've gotten when attempting to quit before. I use only a few pouches a day now and have 1 can left in my roll and will be tobacco free after this next can is empty. I've never been so sucessful at quitting. Smoking smells gross and I really don't desire to smoke. I don't think I could have done it without snus. I hope this helps some of you guys :) youtube swedish snus for more information :)

How's the battle going, Terrapin?

Muddy Knees

For the record, today is my first day. I had a cigar to celebrate finishing my test yesterday, and smoked a few butts when studying for it. Was a bad day choice to quit. Threw out all the trash relating to cigs, so that's going to help.

Today has been a difficult road so far. The urges can hit really hard, especially during the usual times:
    • After meals
    • After coffee
    • After workout

The fact that I'm home alone doesn't help, I don't have much to focus on. My workout regimen helps in its own way, but then the monkey comes back immediately after. Trying to figure out how to kill time and not focus in so much on the smokes. Been biting through straws like crazy. Need to go pick up some gum and seeds.

As long as I don't get the urge to walk across the road and buy a pack, I should be ok. I already warned the people at the store to not sell any to me, so that's a bonus. Makes it much more difficult to get in my car, drive to a different store, and buy one there. Am much more able to stay strong in that position.

The fact that this difficulty is only on the first day, and I've easily gone 2-3 days while at the parentals, worries me. I also now have an interview on Thursday, which came out of nowhere, that is stressing me out. These huge events don't seem to ever end.

Trying to think positive by knowing my life is changing for the much better, but god damn.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

Cool, what are you interviewing for and where? Good luck!

Just remember, as they say in Texas, "Pain is God". You're on the right path. I was thinking that maybe not giving updates daily might help some, but, (*as said before), everyone is different. I think that it might just be making you think about it now. That's why, even though I see a psychologist, I don't believe in needing to talk about something over and over or having life long support groups. I think think that it would be for the best to just do as you are doing minus the check ins so frequently. I personally have avoided talking about quitting other than here or there. It gets annoying. You're going to feel a lot better, trust me. You seem to be going about it the proper way. Just remember that smoking is also a mental addiction. You may not physically smoking but thinking or talking about it too much can sometimes push you over the edge.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Muddy Knees

Just became certified as a radiation therapist yesterday. This is a job offer to work as one up in Houston. Appreciate the well wishes.

Yeah it didn't help doing the update, for sure. I've read somewhere that people keep logs, which was part of why I started this along with other help from members, but it's only really gotten me to think about it more than I'd like. I gave one just then because it was asked of me prior and figured I'd try it out. Will cut back on the updates, but it's still very much a difficult road. The fact that it's only going to get worse from here blows.

Having a lot of faith in my method, but... yeah.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    Just became certified as a radiation therapist yesterday. This is a job offer to work as one up in Houston. Appreciate the well wishes.

Yeah it didn't help doing the update, for sure. I've read somewhere that people keep logs, which was part of why I started this along with other help from members, but it's only really gotten me to think about it more than I'd like. I gave one just then because it was asked of me prior and figured I'd try it out. Will cut back on the updates, but it's still very much a difficult road. The fact that it's only going to get worse from here blows.

Having a lot of faith in my method, but... yeah.
    Congrats man, I hope you get the job! And yeah, it's day one. Just roll with it. Stay awake as much as possible until you wear yourself out from doing stuff and don't think about it.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Muddy Knees

Thread update.

I went pretty well beforehand with quitting, but I never fully quit. After about three days of nothing, I gave in and started buying cigars. I tricked myself into thinking, "Well if I'm not inhaling, I'm not really smoking. This should curb the addictions." That went on for about a month, until one day, after not getting the job and realizing where my life was about to end up (temporarily back at my parents) I gave in and started up the cigs once again. It was almost too easy to light up again seeing as I was already smoking cigars. It was as if I never left.

Moved here on Wednesday, and I am back on the not smoking kick. However, this time, I am not touching cigars either. Today is now Day 5 of being entirely smoke free. At this point, almost all nicotine has been flushed from my body and the cravings hit much lighter and more infrequent compared to what they were over the last couple of days. I have noticed extreme irritability, anxiety, nervousness, mood-swings, nausea, dizziness, confusion, headaches, and insomnia. Over the last couple of days it has felt like I have been walking around with a cloud in my brain, and literally everything that goes even slightly wrong (when I'm alone) sees me unnecessarily flipping my shit and either throwing something or ripping something apart. It's actually kind of humorous in a way. I wish I was a fly on the wall for those moments.

No one IRL knows I'm currently going through detox and withdrawal, and I'm doing my best to hide these symptoms from them (it's actually working out pretty decently). I might be making it more difficult on myself for not seeking their support, but I'm honestly not worried about needing any at this point. Sure there will be times where something snaps, but I'm learning how to overcome that and keep these moments tucked away when possible. As a result, I feel more achieved as an individual to discover my own abilities to cope without seeking outside influence. Even though I'm sharing personal experience here as an aspect of coping, and offer support later on down the road, this will always be my fight and not anyone else's. It's been quite the learning process by submitting to this ordeal, but I feel like it will be worth it in the end and I'll come out even better than before with some important life lessons learned.

One coping method I've found extremely useful has been drinking water whenever I feel a craving. This has seemed to solve hunger pangs as well as giving something to the oral fixation and is relaxing the body in a way. It's kind of weird to explain, but fuck it works and I'm not going to argue with results. I've also done deep breathing exercises which have really played a huge role. Found that deep inhalation kind of provides a similar effect to cigs without all the smoke involved. Deep breathing has also been good to dissipate the stresses on my body due to the detox. I can see these coming of use quite often in the future, actually.

Positive physical effects I've noticed, since quitting, is that I'm feeling FAR more energized and stamina is way up. Not only can I tell this upon just walking around and doing things, but during workouts as well. I can breathe better without a wheeze and I'm not fighting for so much as a breath. I'm also not having to clear my throat nearly as often, and I don't have even near the level of dysphagia that I did 5 days ago. To find this dramatic of a change, already, feels incredible. I thought it would have taken much longer for these to subside and that what I was experiencing beforehand was moderately lasting damage. It's great to be proven wrong.

I feel like I'm already on the down-slope toward having this thing beat. They always say the first 5 days are the roughest, so I'm pretty positive with where I can accomplish from here. Since the nicotine is almost entirely flushed, all I have to really do now is break the actual feelings tied to habit along with those smaller craving bouts from time to time (of which are becoming more and more nonexistent quickly). If I survived the last few days, the roughest of the bunch, I can certainly handle the ones to come. There's no way I would ever want to experience these last few days again. I've come so far now that it would be impossible to turn back that clock. Fuck that nonsense.

Apparently it takes about 21 days (3 weeks) for all feelings of habit to dissipate. So that's pretty much the next big goal after this first week is over. Until then, taking this one day at a time, baby. See y'all around.

This might seem irrelevant but watch this:

If this doesn't inspire you and give you hope that you can do anything, then nothing will....this guy has a total of 22 Gold medals and he is only 27.

I quit smoking for 2 months and went back last year, but I am giving another go in late August and I am going to use this as inspiration. My point is, which is harder? 22 Gold medals, or quitting smoking?

Imagine all the work and sacrifice this guy went through, and I can't quit smoking? Fuck that noise.

Muddy Knees

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses Black View Post
    I quit smoking for 2 months and went back last year, but I am giving another go in late August and I am going to use this as inspiration. My point is, which is harder? 22 Gold medals, or quitting smoking?
    Which method did you use to quit by? What triggered you to start up again after 2 months? Best of luck toward the coming days later this month. Nicotine certainly is one bastard of a drug, but it's not unbeatable.

Day 8.

Drank last night without even the slightest urge for a smoke and woke up this morning not feeling the usual hangover effects. I notice my mornings are getting easier and brighter each day where I don't even consider smoking as an option. If offered a cig, there's no possible way I'd smoke it. Not just because of not wanting to go through last week again, but because I simply don't crave to smoke anymore. I'm already moving far away from nicotine withdrawal and I feel like the habit is subsiding at an alarming rate. I still think about smoking, but it's not cravings anymore. These are simply passing thoughts at this point. I've found testimonies of people saying there are these odd days where it gets really bad, and I just don't see that happening. I'm through with it entirely.

I have to mention the benefits of stopping smoking the cold turkey method. I couldn't have picked a better way to do this, and I'm thankful that I didn't consider the nicotine replacement therapies (gum, patches, pills, etc.) as options. You boot that nicotine crap out of your system in 72 hours and then work toward beating the habit within 21 days. It might be a hell week, but it's not unbeatable (I just did it) and you are saving yourself the trouble in the end. People who prolong the nicotine in their system are only substituting one fix for another fix. It doesn't work this way, you still have the junk on your brain and you are still a slave to filling that fix instead of just working through it on your strength alone. This is why people say not to even use mints or gum or seeds or whatever because your mind is still trying to substitute something to fill that void. This, in turn, causes your mind to remain perpetually fixated on smoking in the early stages. In doing so, while you think you're making it easier on yourself, you're in fact making the quit much more difficult than it needs to be. It's crazy, but it's true. I found no good use out of mints or gum or seeds, they only made me think about smoking more often, and I tossed them pretty much immediately. Water and breathing, I honestly couldn't recommend those two enough. Cold turkey really is the only way to go, and it's the method that 95% of all long-term ex smokers finally succeeded with as well. Free and with proven results; you can't beat that.

Through my research, I found this phenomenal book by Allen Carr. It's not lengthy at all and gives you an arsenal of things to consider when quitting as well as tips. I read through this and I became a smarter and even more prepared person because of it. Here's the .pdf file. I highly suggest this to anyone and everyone.

On to beating week 2. Couldn't be smoother sailing at the moment.