Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Departure and Return of Twiggy - Your feelings.

Default Departure and Return of Twiggy - Your feelings.

Reading the thread about preferred Marilyn Manson videos evoked some old memories of when I first got into the band. I first got into Marilyn Manson a little before 'Golden Age of Grotesque' was announced to be released and subsequently Twiggy's departure hadn't been announced either.

After spending a lot of time getting into the band and learning about all the members, a pretty inspiring and memorable time of my youth, I grew quite attached to the lineup. As the release for the album got closer Twiggy's departure was announced and I was gutted as Marilyn Manson was the first band I had gotten into and I really wanted a chance to catch the MA/Holywood era lineup play when the tour would eventually lead them to Australia.

I lost a substantial amount of interest in Marilyn Manson after 'Eat Me, Drink Me' came out but when the very dramatic and abrupt announcement was made that Twiggy was returning for the new release of "The High End of Low' I held very high hopes for a new sound and a great lineup and was generally feeling very enthusiastic towards the band but unfortunately I was ultimately disappointed upon the albums release. I was also surprised because of the quality work he had done with other high profile and respectable outfits like 'A Perfect Circle'.

Original AIDS provider.

I too got in to the band around the time of GAOG, though in my case it was just after its release. Despite this, the albums that I got in to where the older stuff, and I didn't get around to GAOG until a few months later, so in my instance while I knew at the time Twiggy was no longer in the band, I still had an attachment to that lineup as it was the one playing the music that first introduced me to the band and that I liked the most out of all their material. However, he had always been gone the whole time I listened to the band so I just looked at it as a case of "he's the old bass player, he helped them make great music, shame I didn't get to see him in the band, Tim plays bass now".

When the news suddenly dropped that Twiggy had come back, I remember I lost my shit. I immediately called Dysmorphia to tell her because she was away camping and I knew she didn't have any internet access, and she lost her shit. I was incredibly excited to have the chance to see him on stage with the band again. I don't have any problem with the years Twiggy was away, but the band is definitely better off for his presence, I think.

As for the guitar vs. bass debate, I know some people really don't like him on guitar but I don't mind. He makes a great bass player - probably one of my favourite bass players - but he's a great guitarist too. He doesn't have the technical skills that someone like John5 had, but he has a great and unique feel to his playing. He certainly does play from the cock.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    I too got in to the band around the time of GAOG, though in my case it was just after its release. Despite this, the albums that I got in to where the older stuff, and I didn't get around to GAOG until a few months later, so in my instance while I knew at the time Twiggy was no longer in the band, I still had an attachment to that lineup as it was the one playing the music that first introduced me to the band and that I liked the most out of all their material. However, he had always been gone the whole time I listened to the band so I just looked at it as a case of "he's the old bass player, he helped them make great music, shame I didn't get to see him in the band, Tim plays bass now".

When the news suddenly dropped that Twiggy had come back, I remember I lost my shit. I immediately called Dysmorphia to tell her because she was away camping and I knew she didn't have any internet access, and she lost her shit. I was incredibly excited to have the chance to see him on stage with the band again. I don't have any problem with the years Twiggy was away, but the band is definitely better off for his presence, I think.

As for the guitar vs. bass debate, I know some people really don't like him on guitar but I don't mind. He makes a great bass player - probably one of my favourite bass players - but he's a great guitarist too. He doesn't have the technical skills that someone like John5 had, but he has a great and unique feel to his playing. He certainly does play from the cock.
    Really interesting point on guitar Vs. bass. I prefer him on bass but only for aesthetic reasons, not technical ability. I think it makes no real difference since as you know he is writing the majority of the music and I'll just add that while he doesn't have the technical ability of John 5, his song writing ability, in my opinion, greatly surpasses his.

Thanks for moving my thread, by the way. =)

I was very sad to see Twiggy go, but really happy to see him return. He's a great songwriter, but live, I would rather see another guitarist and have Twiggy on bass. But e has earned his place to choose is preference.

I'm a new fan in the sense i didn't really get into Manson until just after HEOL release. That said i can't really comment on my feelings about his departure and return as both were before me. I prefer the stage presence and silliness of old school twiggy with the dreads and bass.
    I'm glad he didn't try to re-do that upon return though because i don't think it fits the band the way it used to. Marilyn Manson, both the person and band that twiggy left changed and twiggy needed to return differently too. I think Fred does a pretty killer job on Bass these days and offers a huge stage presence.

I got into Manson when Lest We Forget came out. Knew the band for a long time before then, but didn't follow them or know much about them. Obviously I was really getting into the band after Twiggy had left, so like The Empirical Guy, for me it was just fact that he wasn't in the band anymore. Watching videos, and learning more about the band, it was clear to me that he was a great presence and had played a big part in the music of Marilyn Manson over the years. I was incredibly excited when he returned to the band, but I also really like the work he did outside of the band, particularly his stint in Nine Inch Nails.

He's one of my favourite musicians, regardless of whether he's on guitar or bass, I think he's got a great feel to his playing, and I've always been a big fan of his songwriting. Obviously he was bassist first time round, so I understand why people feel nostalgic and wish he'd do it again, but I've seen him play guitar live twice and don't have any complaints. I'm really pleased with the line up right now, so here's being hopeful it sticks around for a while.

I would also agree with Manson that the guitar solo at the end of the Into the Fire is one of my favourites.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

I became a fan around the time The Golden Age of Grotesque was released, I actually pretty much discovered MM for the first time whilst he was doing TV shows in the UK which I think was June time.

Anyway after really getting into the band and finding out all about Twiggy and then hearing how he had just left the band I thought it was shit I had missed someone who was a major part of the band and chances are I'l probably never experience a new album with Twiggy being part of it or see him live with MM. But with a band that just keeps changing and evolving with everything they do I didn't think to much about it/think he would come back. As the years went on and I remember someone joking on the MansonUSA with the constant "OMGZ TWIGGYZ BACK!!" line and a few years later he fucking did come back!

I also remember that time when Manson and Twiggy ran into each other at some event and it was brought up in one of the interviews with MansonUSA which had Manson saying "People's dream of him rejoining the band is just that. It's not going to happen. It's silly, like if you were to ask someone to get back together with their 7th grade girlfriend."
    So that pretty much put an end to that ever happening...

Then as some of you remember I was working on the MansonUSA website updating parts and posting news so I log online one day and the owner tells me Manson wants to do an interview, which is obviously cool, then I'm told there's something huge about to happen. I don't think I was ever told to start with, instead I was just sent a raw photograph, I opened it up not knowing and there was the huge thing, Manson and Twiggy back together again.
    It was a really exciting time, I don't think anyone could see it coming. Remember when Manson updated his MySpace profile picture to a photo of Twiggy? that just sent people crazy because it could of only meant one thing, but it was also confusing, is it true? was Manson fucking around?
    It wasn't long until it was all out in the news and shit just went crazy! It was fun and exciting and in the online communities the whole place was just buzzing, it was a great time!

I wish I had been a fan/discovered Manson earlier to experience the earlier albums and band line up, but I'm very happy I was around to see Twiggy come back into the band and It's great having him back.

Most definitely, even with the terrible thing that was The High End of Low, I don't think Manson could have come back to the form he is in now. I mean, he could definitely have pulled his shit together and started singing better and what not, but he's not much of a musician and in my opinion while Tim Skold can write some really great songs, I don't think he can write a good album from start to finish like Twiggy has proved capable of over and over again.

I was listening to Skold's most recent solo album recently, which could potentially have been Manson's next album if he wasn't given the boot.
    Last edited by 1984; 07-23-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

I enjoyed The Golden Age of Grotesque with Tim Skold, although if it had been with Twiggy who knows how different it would of been. But what we got with that album I thought was a great piece of work and from the music to the artwork/visuals I think it all matched up really well together.

I thought EMDM was cool too... but I did get Skolds solo album and I was listening to again recently and thinking how close it might be to what Manson's album could of been if Skold had stayed in the band, or how much of it was music written for MM that wasn't used? I don't totally dislike Skold's solo album, but I also don't think it's anywhere near as good as the work he did in MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norsefire View Post
    I enjoyed The Golden Age of Grotesque with Tim Skold, although if it had been with Twiggy who knows how different it would of been. But what we got with that album I thought was a great piece of work and from the music to the artwork/visuals I think it all matched up really well together.

I thought EMDM was cool too... but I did get Skolds solo album and I was listening to again recently and thinking how close it might be to what Manson's album could of been if Skold had stayed in the band, or how much of it was music written for MM that wasn't used? I don't totally dislike Skold's solo album, but I also don't think it's anywhere near as good as the work he did in MM.
    I very much agree. The only songs I liked on his solo album was 'Elephant' and 'Angel of Noise'. But anyway, back to Twiggy! =)