Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'The Flowers Of Evil'

Default 'The Flowers Of Evil'

I get The Flowers of Evil to a point. I get the zombie metaphor and the flower metaphor. How flowers can't be evil, they're just flowers. They're just victims of circumstance, etc. So the line

The day they covered us in the dirt, like stars in the ground that will grow into dead flowers.

makes perfect sense but what about everything else?

Your body's on me like sleepless spiders. Your touch is so empty.

I've been running from the bloodless for fear of exile for all of my sorceries.

This doesn't make any sense at all to me. Could somebody please give me some sort of vague idea what that means? Thanks.

Hallelujah motherfuckers thatrussianman's Avatar

It's come to the point where I'm like ... Born Villain is not about the words themselves, but describing certain emotions. And not simple emotions, but complicated ones. Manson repeats verses, and has said time and time again he wanted people to feel something, not feel what he was feeling. How the fuck is manson suppossed to know what people are feeling? Be vague. Good choice of words to describe this album.

Don't look to much into Born Villain, feel it.

the flowers of evil could seriously be about a bunch of spiders in a cave running from the light being covered in dirt for all it matters.

Thank you.

I kind of took the line "Your body's on me like sleepless spiders. Your touch is so empty." to describe all of the spent relationships, sacrifices and hangers-on that's made him the man he is today. It conjures a picture of being buried underneath all of these bodies and emerging from them like the flowers of evil. Stronger and nourished by resentment. It just takes the flower imagery a step further.

I really think this is the overlooked gem on this album.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity Killing Spree View Post

I really think this is the overlooked gem on this album.
    Oh, it really is. Thanks for that, everybody, it helped a lot.
    Can anybody help me figure out what is said at the beginning of the song? It sounds something like "The United Nations has declared war," but I have no idea. Somebody help, please.

This song is probably my last favorite on Born Villain, but its growing on me as I started listing to it more I noticed something fairly interesting.

When he is talking about "the light", I always thought the next phrase was "shone" as in light shining. But I realized he was actually saying "shun the light", meaning avoid the light. Two very different ideas that give the song a different meaning (well its new to me, as that was one of the few songs I did not read the lyrics for, so I'm sure a lot of you already know this).

Anyway, another thing that's interesting about his word choice with "shun", is that it's a common Moorman word they use when a person has done something (sinned), so the whole town turns their back on that one person refusing to speak to them. Thinking about the past when Manson has burned some Mormon bibles, this came to mindmeaning the song may have some deeper association might be missing. Obviously though he's using in turning his back on more of 'what is generally considered good' in this case... Well that's my interpretation of it anyway.

Not that bit of a deal, but I thought it was fairly interesting.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by HeartShapedAsses View Post
    This song is probably my last favorite on Born Villain, but its growing on me as I started listing to it more I noticed something fairly interesting.

When he is talking about "the light", I always thought the next phrase was "shone" as in light shining. But I realized he was actually saying "shun the light", meaning avoid the light. Two very different ideas that give the song a different meaning (well its new to me, as that was one of the few songs I did not read the lyrics for, so I'm sure a lot of you already know this).

Anyway, another thing that's interesting about his word choice with "shun", is that it's a common Moorman word they use when a person has done something (sinned), so the whole town turns their back on that one person refusing to speak to them. Thinking about the past when Manson has burned some Mormon bibles, this came to mindmeaning the song may have some deeper association might be missing. Obviously though he's using in turning his back on more of 'what is generally considered good' in this case... Well that's my interpretation of it anyway.

Not that bit of a deal, but I thought it was fairly interesting.

Thoughts?
    I did notice that also. But I was thinking the term started with the Amish people? Am I correct?

^ Shunning didn't begin with the Amish (and certainly isn't exclusive to Christianity), but it is one of their (many) religious practices. Despite the Biblical references woven through many MM songs, I don't think everything he says/does is a commentary (or condemnation of) on organized religion.

Having said that, it's very obvious he considers himself a Crusader against the business of religion.

Add arkahno on Facebook Follow arkahno on Tumblr

I really think Born Villain is should be called "the flowers of evil" I think this tittle is more accurate with the content of the album, almost every song has a refference of the flowers and its cultivation.

"you are not a shovel I'm not your dirt"
    "is like a garden with two flowers"
    "the day that they cover us with the dirt"
    "like stars in the ground that will grow into dead flowers"
    "I can give you a dozen fresh cut pink or red or white"

Flowers grow in the sunlight. Their inverse, the "Flowers of Evil" shun this light.