Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Born Villain

Default Born Villain

As far as this entire post goes, please don't accuse me of stealing other people's ideas. I've looked at various responses from all of you for many different subjects posted, and obviously the ones I'm referencing have left impacts on me. Thank you!

“Life is all about change, and the villain is always the catalyst. The villain is always the person who creates something different in the story. I don’t mean “villain” in the sense that people might define it as the “bad guy,” I’m not saying the “bad guy.”When I say the villain, I mean in the traditional sense like in Macbeth, like in anything else. The hero doesn’t do anything different. The hero always stays the same, there’s no character arc, he’s always the hero. The villain is the person who has the chance to change something. They might break the rules, but that’s the thing. Sometimes if you don’t break the rules, you’re not going to save anything, you’re not going to change anything. That’s what I started out being and when I for some reason had a hesitation because I was essentially crushed by a lot of different things. I started to lose my identity and anybody can relate to that. If you lose who you are, what do you have?”

-Loudwire interview with Marilyn Manson - ‘The Villain is Always the Catalyst’

Born Villain is a record about change as a person, rediscovering yourself, breaking the rules, death, rebirth, decisions, life, etc. Albums by Marilyn Manson have always adopted a dichotomous title of sorts, some more than others. It is widely believed that Born Villain isn’t a dichotomy. But taken in a more abstract sense, (which the entire album should be,) it most certainly is.

“Growing up going to Christian school, the concept that you’re born a sinner and you don’t really have a choice to change who you are has been hammered into my head.”

-CNN Q&A with Marilyn Manson

There you have it. Born Villain is a sarcastic dichotomy. According to Christian theology, Christ died on the cross for all the world’s sins, implying that we are all bad people. We are all born sinners. Born villains. Being born a person who is just you, and being born a villain, is possibly the ultimate polarity.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Logo and I-Ching Philosophy
    “The Laws of Change” book on the I-Ching philosophy

The philosophy of the I-Ching tells us to shove everything else aside, and look deep inside ourselves to find God. Not in the theistic sense, but in the spiritual, self aware sense. You are your own God. It tells us that you will never be who you are for any great length of time, but are constantly shifting and changing with what circumstances you’re in. Though this is inevitable, the I-Ching teaches us to establish harmony with our inner selves, and stay true to that through the past, present, and future, which will eventually come full circle. This is a concept attacked time and time again in Born Villain.

Marilyn Manson logo 2011

This is an image first unveiled on marilynmanson.com when the site underwent a complete overhaul on May 22nd, 2011. The four Ms are clearly reminiscent of a swastika, and this image marks the beginning of Marilyn Manson using the I-Ching philosophy in his art.

I-Ching symbol “Li”

This I-Ching symbol named “li” means fire, and represents clinging, clarity, adaptability, radiance and thinking. The animal it represents is a pheasant. It can be seen in the logo on the ends of the blue M and the yellow M.

The logo uses a CMYK colour scheme, referencing the opening lines of the journal entry posted the same day:

“Christianity
    Manufacturers
    Yesterday’s
    Killers”

(For more information on the journal entry, see Song-By-Song references).

CMYK colour scheme diagram

This logo perfectly represents the new era. When you see the logo, you think swastika, which is widely regarded as villainous and cruel, even though it was originally intended to be a Buddhist peace symbol. This shows how glorified the Nazi reign has become in comparison to Buddhist peace ideology, how the public is more comfortable watching replays displaying unfathomable amounts of gore on the television than learning about peace and tranquillity philosophies. And all these killers have been inspired by Christianity, “The Bible” displaying unfathomable amounts of gore and manslaughter itself. This sort of profanity human beings are raised around, these things that our televisions teaches us, this can greatly influence our mindset, and in turn, transform us, or change us into a villain of sorts.

Marilyn Manson logo 2012

This is an image Marilyn Manson uploaded on his Facebook account on February 22nd, 2012 with the caption “An I-Ching in the armor.” It was later revealed to be his official new logo when it was uploaded on his Twitter account with the caption “New Logo. Discuss.” I-Ching symbols are featured on the ends of nearly every letter, far more extensively than the swastika logo of 2011.

I-Ching trigrams diagram

(From left to right)

The 1st I-Ching symbol on the first row named “Gèn” means “keeping still”, and represents mountains, resting, standing still, completion, and the body. The animal it represents is a wolf. It can be seen on the logo at the bottom of the second “M”.

The 2nd I-Ching symbol named Kǎn means “The Abysmal”, and represents water, the gorge, danger, motion, and the soul. The animal it represents is a pig. It can be seen in the logo on the top of the second “N”.

The 3rd I-Ching symbol named “Xùn” means “The Gentle”, and represents the ground, wind, gentle entrances, penetration, grass, and sense. The animal it represents is a fowl. It can be seen in the logo on the end of the “R”.

The 1st I-Ching symbol on the second row named “Zhèn” means “The Arousing”, and represents shaking, inciting movement, taking initiative, thunder, and the spirit. The animal it represents is a dragon. It can be seen on the logo at the bottom of the “S”.

The 2nd I-Ching symbol named “Li” can be seen at the top of the “I”.

The 3rd I-Ching symbol named “Dui” means “The Joyous”, and represents openness, lakes, tranquillity, complete devotion, pleasure, and feeling. The animal it represents is a sheep, or a goat. It can be seen on the logo at the bottom of the first “N”.

The 4th I-Ching symbol named “Qián” means “The Creative”, and represents force, heaven, strength, creativeness, and awareness. It can be seen on the logo at the top of the third “N”.

This caption is a reference to the phrase “a chink in the armor,” which essentially means weakness. A little hole in the armour that makes you. The phrase came from the ancient Greek myth of Achilles. In the myth, Achilles’ mother chose to dip him in the River Styx, to render his body totally invulnerable. However, to do this, she was required to hold him by his ankle, making his one weak spot that place.

Painting depicting Archilles’ mother dipping him in The River Styx

The I-Ching philosophy teaches us to overcome these weaknesses, thus the phrase helps to support the I-Ching reference.

Marilyn Manson in the photo shoot for Revolver magazine

In this photo Marilyn Manson is dressed up elaborately in a guise that looks like a cross between classy Victorian era suits and Ancient Roman armour. There are many holes in the suit of armour, portraying “chinks in the armour.”

Marilyn Manson in photo shoot for Metal Hammer magazine

This photo is entitled “Mazza spies a break in the clouds”. Manson is dishing us out another way to look at the “a chink in the armour” reference. Usually thought of as a bad thing, weakness can also be a grand thing, and this applies to anything. This is another concept that Manson is drawn towards in Born Villain, that villains aren’t villains, and heroes aren’t heroes. Nothing’s as black and white as that. And while spying a break, or a chink in the clouds, you can see the light. You can see that there is hope.

I-Ching symbol “Kūn”

This is the final I-Ching symbol used in the Born Villain imagery, and, intriguingly, if looked at the right way, it looks exactly like the Celebritarianism double cross. Even more intriguingly, it means “The Receptive,” which alludes to the overly receptive public who will guzzle up anything and everything that’s spoon fed to them via different forms of entertainment. The symbol’s image in nature is “Earth,” which alludes to how insignificant all the celebrities we put up on podiums to admire is. We just live on Earth, which is a tiny tiny microscopic particle in relation to the fabric of the universe, and nothing really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Celebritarianism Reference

Born Villain disc scan

“There’s definitely a mixture now of celebrity and rockstar that didn’t exist when I started making music. There always has been ‘celebrity’, but there was never the era of people being famous for nothing, or looking stupid on YouTube or something like that. It was a different era when I started. But in some ways it wasn’t. That’s the very essence of Charles Manson and Marilyn Monroe, Charles Manson became a complete icon for being a criminal, so in some ways it’s just a different form. It’s an evolution of the culture.”
    -Gigwise Interview with Marilyn Manson - ‘Rockstars and Celebs have become one’

“The Celebritarian Corporation” is an art movement that Manson and Co. brand all their work with, but conceptually, and in a nutshell, it’s a parody on religion, the name itself being trademarked. It follows the concept of stars or celebrities being worshipped more so in death than in life, (Marilyn Monroe), or the worshipping of somebody who has acquired fame through the death of others, (Charles Manson).

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting a famous debate with John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon

Here is John F. Kennedy debating with Richard Nixon, both of whom are dead, thus elevating them to a Christ like status.

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting serial killer David Berkowitz

Here is David Berkowitz, who has acquired worldwide stardom from the sickening crimes he has committed.

Celebritarianism is an ever growing concept that officially began in 2000, and Born Villain expands even further upon. Though more vague and veiled in his last three albums, the Celebritarianism ideology is a key factor to all of them. Eat Me Drink Me, The High End of Low, and Born Villain have been Manson’s most personal albums to date, painting images in your head that are almost reminiscent of The Triptych. Eat Me Drink Me being about wild love, The High End of Low being about the loss of that love, and Born Villain being about rediscovering who you are and pulling yourself out of the pit you’ve dug yourself in. One way of looking at Celebritarianism’s influence on those albums is that Marilyn Manson, being an icon himself, is exhibiting how celebrities are people just like us. How their is no one God, or all powerful superstar. Fame doesn’t bring immortality, stars can still feel love, pain, redemption, etc.

“There are no drugged out devils or square-halo angels walking among us.”
    -Marilyn Manson, Hey Cruel World

Square halos were painted on subjects who were deemed holy, but still alive, from 500 – 1100 AD in Europe. Hierophants, basically.

Painting of Pope Pachal

Here is a painted portrait of Pope Pachal depicted with a square halo during his lifetime, around 800 AD. A prime example of the square halo.

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting Richard Nixon meeting with Elvis Presley on December 21st, 1970

The most blatant reference to the Celebritarianism cross is on the CD of the album which depicts said symbol, branding the album with the “Celebritarian Corporation,” and adding to the concept noted above.

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting Ronald Reagan and Ray Charles

The 11th track on the album is entitled “Murderers are Getting Prettier Every Day,” which has many meanings, one of them being a nod to the Celebritarian Corporation. (More information under “Song By Song References”.)

This is an I-Ching symbol used frequently in the Born Villain imagery, and, intriguingly, if looked at the right way, it looks exactly like the Celebritarianism double cross. Even more intriguingly, it means “The Receptive,” which alludes to the overly receptive public who will guzzle up anything and everything that’s spoon fed to them via different forms of entertainment. The symbol’s image in nature is “Earth,” which alludes to how insignificant all the celebrities we put up on podiums to admire is. We just live on Earth, which is a tiny tiny microscopic particle in relation to the fabric of the universe, and nothing really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting the tabloid press announcing Freddie Mercury’s death

This is the best possible public photo to use to represent Celebritarian ideology, as not only is it making a huge spectacle of his death, not only are his arms spread out like that of Christ, but there is also the flag of Britain spread out behind him, yet another reference to Celebritarianism. The flag of Britain contains the flag of England, or St. George within it.

Left: The flag of Britain Right: The Flag of England

According to legend, St. George slayed a horrible dragon in attempt to save his country and the woman he loved. Some legends have it he slayed the dragon with the cross of Loraine, which evidently hugely inspired the Celebritarianism cross.

Postage stamp portraying St. George slaying the dragon with the cross of Loraine

St. George, having been turned into a saint after death, martyred, is also a representation of Celebritarian ideology.

Another reference to the flag of England, with Manson in armour reminiscent of that of St. George, brandishing a sword, alluding to the slaying of the dragon.

In this photo Manson is wearing a winged helmet, the exact helmet Mercury was supposed to have worn, the god of trade, thieves, and travel. By referencing the god Mercury, he is nodding once again in the direction of Freddie Mercury’s death, and his elevation to a Christ, or even God-like status.

Promotional photo for Born Villain

In this photo Manson is wearing blue and pink glow in the dark paint, painted to resemble a Celebritarianism cross, with a black background, and a yellow glint in one of his eyes. This references both Celebritarian ideology and the CMYK colour scheme.

Marilyn Manson wearing a Celebritarianism suit on the Hey Cruel World… Tour

Marilyn Manson with the Celebritarian double cross etched into his face with makeup on the Hey Cruel World… Tour

Back cover of Born Villain, with the first M resembling the Celebritarian cross

Marilyn Manson in the photo shoot for Vogue magazine with dead flies on his face used to represent the general public, paparazzi, tabloid press, etc, eager to gobble up whatever new product a celebrity or their management has to offer, and producing feces, or rather money

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting Jackie O Kennedy waving to the adoring paparazzi

This violence obsessed death worshipping freakshow of a cruel world we live in is another reason a person might be vilified. Turned into a public menace by trying to promote change and peace, thus contributing to the philosophies Born Villain presents us with.

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting Elvis Presley as Christ.

15 References

Audience Member: Regarding numerology, your new font is using a 1 and a 5, the release date is the 15th and there are allegedly 15 tracks on the album. Can you elaborate on…?
    Marilyn Manson: January 5th is also my birthday. I’m going to be 30 this year, that’s half my age. Marilyn Manson also equals 6. There’s a lot of different things but if you look for coincidences you’ll start realizing that there are no such thing as coincidences, that everything has a purpose.
    -MTV Interview with Marilyn Manson - ‘Man5on TV Special 1998’

15 is undoubtedly the number, theme, or even concept most coincidental in all of Manson’s work. Or is it coincidental? Marilyn Manson uses “15,” which has a lot of personal meaning to him, to show how nothing’s a coincidence, how everything means something, everything must be taken with a grain of salt, especially his artwork. The last we saw of this number in the Manson world was the final track in The High End of Low album, entitled “15,” the track giving promises of hope.

“Yesterday everything I thought I believed in died, but today is my birthday.”

-Marilyn Manson, 15

Having that number continue on to this album right after the obvious use in The High End of Low is a great statement on Born Villain and the era. Coming back to the personal triptych concept mentioned earlier, with The High End of Low being full of loss, and misery, Born Villain offers us redemption, and seeing the light.

Marilyn Manson in a photo shoot for Metal Hammer magazine - “Mazza Spies a Break in the Clouds”

Here are the references to 15 in Born Villain.

Back cover of Born Villain

There are fifteen objects on this back cover. 13 songs, and two Ms. 15.

“And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
    The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
    Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player,
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. ”

-William Shakespeare

This is the passage from Macbeth that Marilyn Manson quotes, both in the Born Villain film and the song “Overneath the Path of Misery.” This quote is from act 5, scene 5, and Macbeth is the fifth person to speak in this scene. Three fives make 15.

“5 or 500 million years ago we were 15 foot high…”

-Marilyn Manson, Children of Cain

15 foot high. 15.

“So take your little black book
    I see the way that you look into it
    I’ll eat it and I’ll cut my tongue
    And all the pages you spread,
    ‘Sweet as honey,’ you said
    But I’m choking on your bitter stories”

This stanza from Children of Cain is similar to this Bible quote:

“How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!”

-Psalm 119:103

Psalm 119:103. 1 + 1 + 9 + 1 + 3 = 15.

In the Born Villain short film, there are 15 different “sets,” or visual representations of things. 15.

Screenshots from the Born Villain film

Screenshot from the No Reflection music video

In the music video for No Reflection, there is 1 man and 5 women. 15.

“And you know I’m loaded, but not which chamber.
    Touch me and I’ll go
    Click click click click click.
    Click click click click click.
    Click click click click click.”
    -Marilyn Manson, Born Villain

15 clicks of a gun. 15.

“No no no no no reason.
    No no no no no reason.
    No no no no no reason.”
    -Marilyn Manson, Overneath the Path of Misery

15 "no"s. 15.

Marilyn Manson portraying The Evil Magician

Here there are 15 blue translucent spirals circling around Manson. 15.

Religious References

“I think art is the only thing that’s spiritual in the world. And I refuse to forced to believe in other people’s interpretations of God. I don’t think anybody should be. No one person can own the copyright to what God means. ”
    -Marilyn Manson

Marilyn Manson in photo shoot for Born Villain holding a makeshift crucifix made of neon lights vaguely resembling a gun, a metaphor for the how synthetic and violent Christianity is

Marilyn Manson in photo shoot for Born Villain with a gun as a halo, illustrating the same themes as above.

The subject of religion has been a massive, always present theme in Marilyn Manson’s art, just as much in Born Villain as in anything, the album’s title being a religious statement in itself.

Marilyn Manson with black makeup depicting a Christian cross on the Hey Cruel World… Tour

The most obvious reference to Christianity in Born Villain, apart from it’s title, is the track Children of Cain.

“No sineater to slay
    Us children of Cain.
    Watching monkey suicide,
    Sunday, AIDS, and church wine wash it away.”

Marilyn Manson in photo shoot for Metal Hammer

Here we have Marilyn Manson with halo inspired lighting and bandages around his head illustrating Christianity’s corrupt “system” used for branding any certain person or thing “holy,” and it’s effect on the mind, (washing all rational thinking away).

Twiggy Ramirez in a guise and position similar to that of Christ

Another reference to Christianity in The Gardener:

“You never wanted to share your concept of your creation with any other gods or worshippers.”
    -Marilyn Manson, The Gardener

Marilyn Manson in photo shoot for Revolver magazine

Here we have Marilyn Manson resting his arms upon the top of a pillar from the late Roman Empire, a time period Jesus Christ is widely known to have been born in, covering his ears with his hands, illustrating the limits Christianity puts up as far as properly understanding our world goes.

The top of a late Roman Empire pillar

Another reference to Christianity in Born Villain’s title track:

“I don’t ever want God to hear our screams and mistake them for prayers.”

(For more information on these songs see “Song By Song References”)

Subjects exceedingly prevalent in The New Testament are that of the death and rebirth of Jesus Christ. Marilyn Manson illustrates these themes in Born Villain. If The High End of Low was about death, or falling from grace…

“Falling, falling, falling from grace and from you.”
    -Marilyn Manson, I Have To Look Up Just to See Hell

…Then Born Villain is his album about being resurrected, or reborn. For with rebirth comes a new feeling of self awareness, discovering your true identity. With rebirth comes rediscovering yourself.

A painting depicting Christ’s death on the cross

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_l5dHEF6-ko4/Spym8a49MF
    I/AAAAAAAAAIc/yrhxPT6-FPM/s320/Jesus-Resurrection-01.jpg[/IMG]
    A painting depicting Christ’s resurrection

Yet another reference to the Roman Empire, the helmet Manson is seen wearing being a massive rendition of the classic Roman Empire war helmet.

Classic reconstruction of the war helmet of the Roman Empire

Christianity certainly isn’t the only religion in existence, and thus it certainly isn’t the only one Manson references, though it is the only one referenced negatively.

The Chinese I-Ching philosophy, or religion, has it’s extremely prominent place in Born Villain. (For more information see “Logo and I-Ching Philosophy.”)

Greek mythology, or religion, specifically Greek heroes mistaken for villains and vice versa are alluded to time and time again throughout the length of Born Villain.

“Oedipus no longer present tense,
    Oedipus no longer pre-sentence.”

The Greek myth of Oedipus deals with concepts of fate vs. free will, metaphorical blindness, and what makes a person a villain.

“We don’t need your faith,
    We’ve got fucking fate."

“You get sick enough to call the one with bullet holes for eyes.”
    -Marilyn Manson, Murderers are Getting Prettier Every Day

“I’m born villain,
    Don’t pretend to be a victim.”

King Oedipus after pulling his eyes out in a whirlwind of uncontrollable emotion

(For more information see “Song By Song References”)

“The rape of Persephone was choreographed by all the wrong Greeks.
    The rape of Persephone was a marketing scheme.
    Rape, rape, rape, per so phony.”

The Greek myth entitled “The Rape of Persephone” deals with concepts of growth, death, and rebirth.

“The day they covered us in the dirt,
    Like stars in the ground that will grow into dead flowers.”
    -Marilyn Manson, The Flowers of Evil

“Resurrection needs your death
    To happen twice.”

Persephone, the embodiment of Earth’s fertility, gathering flowers grown by herself

In this photo Manson is wearing a winged helmet, the exact helmet Mercury was supposed to have worn, the god of trade, thieves, and travel, another nod in the direction of Greek mythology.

(For more information on these songs, see “Song By Song References”)

South Asian religious practices are given a nod to as well by Twiggy Ramirez.

Photo of Twiggy Ramirez by Marilyn Manson

The beads, turban, beard, and bindi are all a blatant reference to Hinduism. Directly translated from Sanskrit, “bindi” means a drop, or a small particle, which is essentially what it is. According to Hindu belief, the area of most, or “concealed” wisdom is between the eyebrows, and so, applied using vermilion, the bindi can supposedly contain energy and strengthen concentration.

Hindu god Ram wearing a bindi

The way Twiggy has it worn, however, suggests a bullet hole, or a wound of sorts, bringing us back to the idea that all religions are full of bloodshed, obscenities, and discrimination, but then again, that’s just a different way of looking at it. Which is what Born Villain is about.

Twiggy Ramirez at a press conference in Lithuania wearing a bindi, his costume reminiscent of the witches from Macbeth

The bindi is also referencing the Trimurti, the belief that the concepts of creation, maintenance, and destruction are all personified in three gods, Bramha, Vishnu, and Shiva, the Creator, the Preserver, the Destroyer. The Creator, the Preserver, and the Destroyer are referenced in the song Hey Cruel World.

“Creator, Preserver, Destroyer. Ask which one I am.”

So what does make a person a villain? Is it the brutality, hypocrisy, and close mindedness of Christianity? Is it uncontrollable surges of emotion, and feeling unable to control your fate? To figure these things out, we must first go through a symbolic death like process, and be resurrected, or reborn into a being that is at total peace with their innermost feelings, another step along the path of Born Villain.

Marilyn Manson ripping up a bible on the Hey Cruel World… Tour

The Holy Mountain References

The Holy Mountain promotional poster

The Holy Moutain is a film made in 1973 by French film director Alejandro Jodorowsky. It’s loosely based on two books by St. John of the Cross and Rene Daumal named Ascent of Mount Carmel and Mount Analogue. The most blatant reference to The Holy Moutain in Born Villain is the trailer for said album, which is essentially an eerie seven minute remake of said film.

Alejandro Jodorowsky portraying The Alchemist in The Holy Mountain

Marilyn Manson portraying The Alchemist in Born Villain

Ironically, the Born Villain trailer wasdirected by filmmaker Shia Labeouf, who’s name has obvious French roots.

The film deals with concepts such as the thing that humans know they are and will be forever searching for, the thing that is just out of their reach and comprehension. Their Coma White, if you will. It deals with many similar concepts and symbols to Holy Wood, undoubtedly inspiring the album, such as flies as a metaphor for the hungry tabloid press, dead stars, and political and religious oppression. But most importantly, it deals with the concept of change as a person, death and rebirth, and how everybody is a victim of circumstance, never a bad person. Nobody is born a villain.

“…Another drug turns harmless people into wild beasts.”
    -Mars in The Holy Mountain

In addition, the concept of alchemy is dealt with extensively in this film, which, symbolically, can be interpreted as turning something dull, ordinary, or even sinister into something beautiful, a concept dealt with extensively in Born Villain.

Alejandro Jodorowsky portraying The Alchemist wrapping electrical tape around his arm

Marilyn Manson with electrical tape around his arm in the spoken word version of Overneath the Path of Misery

The Alchemist’s assistant pulling a shaved silkie out of The Thief’s head in The Holy Mountain

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting shaved silkies about to be butchered

Dead pig filled with casting mold in The Holy Mountain

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting a pig being butchered alive

Small children dressed as Mickey Mouse with their faces painted black in The Holy Mountain

Marilyn Manson in a similar guise on the Hey Cruel World Tour.

More information under “Song By Song References”.

There are a lot of interesting things brought up in this Thread. It does need a bit of editing for repetition, but aside from that I find it to be most amiable and enjoyable. Nice findings!

Salvador Dali References

Salvador Dali was an infamous art guru of sorts, at one point known well by anybody and anything. Born in 1904 and dying in 1989, he’s known to have revolutionized modern art, having his own art displayed in countless museums worldwide. Marilyn Manson has been a devotee of him for quite some time now, frequently alluding to him in his work. The Born Villain era is perhaps the most appropriate era to reference him in, being his most vague, abstract, and brilliant one to date.

Savlador Dali's abstract depiction of an eye

A man after gouging out his eye in the Born Villain film

Marilyn Manson portraying The Evil Magician with a mustache similar to that of Dali

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting Salvador Dali in a photo shoot from the 1940s

The Mask

“We know that people want to be loved. Not for what they are, but for what they appear to be. So we have created a line of masks that have the texture, warmth, and smell of real human beings.”
    -Venus in The Holy Mountain

“I’m not man enough to be human, but I’m trying to fit in, and I’m learning to fake it.”
    -Marilyn Manson, The Gardener

We, as human beings, are all frightened to death of seeing ourselves for what we truly are, and thus many of us don’t even know ourselves. We are so scared of ourselves. Of the people we are. And so we put on metaphorical masks, so people will appreciate us for who we try to be, rather than us. Fear creates this mask, and fear keeps it in place. It takes ultimate will power and strength to rip this mask off and find your real disposition, personality, and identity. This is one of the concepts most prevalent in Born Villain.

Born Villain cover

Manson’s face on the cover of Born Villain looks strikingly similar to a mask, having artificial like features, and disappearing right before the ear should be visible.

Marilyn Manson’s collector’s edition mask of his own face

Twiggy Ramirez wearing a mask on the Hey Cruel World… Tour

Marilyn Manson wearing a mask on the Hey Cruel World… Tour

Fred Sablan wearing mask-like makeup on the Hey Cruel World… Tour

More information under “Song By Song References”.

Zombification

Marilyn Manson in photo shoot for Born Villain

“I like zombie movies. I like the metaphor of it, simply because if you’re bitten by a zombie, you don’t transform into something else, like a vampire or a werewolf. You become something that’s not you. You don’t turn into something that’s different or something that’s evolved, you turn into something that doesn’t exist. It’s undead, so you become the zero factor, and that’s unusual to me. So there are a lot of things on the record that are inspired by the first zombie, we can say is Jesus, because he died and rose from the dead three days later — that’s a zombie. So I think these metaphors exist on the record and on ‘The Flowers of Evil.’ “
    -Marilyn Manson interview with Loudwire - ‘I’m Not Trying to be Reborn, I’m Trying to Transform’

Marilyn Manson in photo shoot for Born Villain

No doubt, zombies are what make up a huge chunk of Born Villain. Sometimes, with all the confusion, hate, and doubt going on around you, when you don’t know how to be yourself, you can almost feel like you’re turning into a zombie. “Something that’s not you.”

But rather, what all human beings should try to do, is change back into who they really are, which is sometimes a part of a person’s soul that has never been accessed. They should try to transform. That’s where the vampire and werewolf metaphor comes in.

Marilyn Manson in photo shoot for Metal Hammer magazine

“I’m not trying to be reborn and I’m not trying to be resurrected. I’m not trying to be reincarnated, I’m trying to transform, and that’s not the same as zombies. I was trying to transform into something that I had not yet become. That’s what anybody in life should always want to do.”
    -Marilyn Manson interview with Loudwire - ‘I’m Not Trying to be Reborn, I’m Trying to Transform’

The video for No Reflection deals with the concept of zombification. Halfway through the video, after being fed the lies of our modern world, the girls Marilyn Manson has over for dinner start pouring blood from their mouth and wreaking havoc on everything, countering the characteristics demonstrated for the whole first half of the video.

These are common zombie characteristics portrayed in film and television.

Zombie from The Walking Dead

http://i2.listal.com/image/1455419/500full.jpg

Zombie from Dawn of the Dead

The word “zombie” has it’s origin in Haitian voodoo culture. Witch doctors treat regular people with a medicine that puts them into a zombie state. Usually these regular people are slaves, and giving them this medicine can increase their performance levels.

Image depicting a Haitian “zombie”