Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Born Villain

PEOPLE PASSING JUDGEMENTS? LAY DOWN YOUR GODDAMN ARMS

Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms is one of the more interesting songs on the album, lyrically. It’s essentially Manson talking to the people who try to make wild statements on what he, or anybody else is, when they should just leave him alone.

I’m not of this world, you’re not in this heart, this isn’t in me.

To open this box you can’t shoot the lock, I hide everything so you can’t see.

If the box is a person’s mindset, if a box holds the secrets to who they are, then the worst possible way to gain access to it is by shooting it. This changes it in a cruel, abrupt fashion.

Wanna fight? Wanna fuck? Wanna die? Try your luck. Lay down your goddamn arms.

Essentially Manson telling a person to stop trying to pick apart everything he does and take him for who he is. That no good will come of this.

There isn’t a key you can use on me, so lay down your arms.

There isn’t any way to analyze Manson’s every move and figure out the inner workings of his brain, he must willingly open that up for us himself.

You’re a book, every page is written in words I cannot read. So I burn, gotta burn, gotta burn, gotta burn it.

This is written from the viewpoint of another person, observing a person who they simply cannot read, cannot figure out their thought process. In frustration, they must destroy them. They must burn them. But at the moment the book is being rewritten, as Manson is finding himself.

OTHER PEOPLE? MURDERERS ARE GETTING PRETTIER EVERY DAY

…Ties in directly with Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms.

Do you always have to hire actors, to play the devils that talk me out of my sui-cites? You’re just a ringtone that happens when you get sick enough to call the one with bullet holes for eyes. Fall on your knees. I hear the horrid voices of someone else’s angels. I broke open the box when I spoke the spell, and I became an entrance wound to your bedroom grave, and I was payed with the shadow of consensual rape. Your ransom note is quoted by your death and birth certificates. And all your love letters read just like my will.

Do you always have to pretend to care about me? You were the one who shot my lock, and now I have bullet holes for eyes. YOU were the one. Some people think you’re amazing, you’re some people’s angel, but to me, you’re a villain. You could understand me if you spoke to me, if you treated me like a human being. But you don’t. The destiny to fail at something is already over.

Marilyn Manson in photo shoot for Born Villain portraying bullet holes for eyes, and the way his shirt is half open makes it look like a key

And so, essentially, Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms and Murderers are Getting Prettier Every Day are songs about people. The frustration other people can make you feel. But it’s also an acknowledgment that these people are villains to you, but may be the angels of somebody else. It’s entirely relative. And this, in turn, renders you into a villain. Another step along the path of Born Villain.

And so, essentially, Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms and Murderers are Getting Prettier Every Day are songs about people. The frustration other people can make you feel. But it’s also an acknowledgment that these people are villains to you, but may be the angels of somebody else. It’s entirely relative. And this, in turn, renders you into a villain. Another step along the path of Born Villain.

Fall on your knees and hear the angels sing.
    -O Holy Night

Fall on your knees, I hear the horrid voices of someone else’s angels
    -Murderers are Getting Prettier Every Day

This line is clearly referencing the traditional Christmas song O Holy Night.

Another way of looking at the title of this song is it’s reference to Celebritarianism, (for more information see “Celebritarianism References.”)

BORN VILLAIN

So, what does make a person who they are? What makes a villain? Nature or nurture? Is it synthetic love? Organic love? Blame? Victimization? Exploitation? Corruption in the media? Religion? Judgements? Other people? All these things certainly build a person, but there is no such thing as a villain. A villain should not, and does not exist.

These child soldiers aren’t villains,

Hidden image from bornvillain.com exhibiting child soldiers hanging from hangmen’s nooses

…Anymore than this executioner, or the people watching are villains…

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting an excecution in Arras in 1869

…And they aren’t villains anymore than Bundesarchiv Bild is a villain…

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting Bundesarchiv Bild

…Anymore than Margaret Thatcher is a villain…

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting Margarate Thatch
    er

…Anymore than Oprah Winfrey is a villain.

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting Oprah Winfrey

These “villains” have children that they dearly love, they have homes to go back to.

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting Heinrich Himmler and his daughter

Hidden image on bornvillain.com exhibiting an orphan child soldier off to war.

Because society is the very thing that turns a person into a “villain,” and society is the very thing that keeps that label in place. What Manson is saying with Born Villain, tying in with Celebritarianism as well, is that everybody is their own person, and they must unleash that, not allowing themself to become vilified. Everybody has value, and that must be seen. We must become our own Creator, Preserver, and Destroyer.

I’m born villain, don’t pretend to be a victim.
    I’m born villain.

“Life is all about change, and the villain is always the catalyst. The villain is always the person who creates something different in the story. I don’t mean “villain” in the sense that people might define it as the “bad guy,” I’m not saying the “bad guy.”When I say the villain, I mean in the traditional sense like in Macbeth, like in anything else. The hero doesn’t do anything different. The hero always stays the same, there’s no character arc, he’s always the hero. The villain is the person who has the chance to change something. They might break the rules, but that’s the thing. Sometimes if you don’t break the rules, you’re not going to save anything, you’re not going to change anything. That’s what I started out being and when I for some reason had a hesitation because I was essentially crushed by a lot of different things. I started to lose my identity and anybody can relate to that. If you lose who you are, what do you have?”

-Loudwire interview with Marilyn Manson - ‘The Villain is Always the Catalyst’

Quote Originally Posted by A Better Messiah View Post
    There are a lot of interesting things brought up in this Thread. It does need a bit of editing for repetition, but aside from that I find it to be most amiable and enjoyable. Nice findings!
    Thank you, and yes, I know. I tried to write this in the style of the Nachtkabarret, (not implying that my level of writing could ever measure up to that of Nick Krusher,) where every section can be taken on it's own without having to read the others. I tried to keep every section as non-repetitive as possible, but there is some repetition throughout the entire thing.

Come ON guys. Teena Byrd gets more feedback than me!

Keep on, breaking the same old ground?

I liked it, and thanks for writing it. This album is quite obvious, but somehow not in the wrong way. The consept of the album is more like a manifest of Marilyn Manson unconscious than there is a narrative story. That is the same way I see Antichrist Superstar, but that album tried to be a story as well, while this does not. Born Villain feels like being home, to me. I would like a vacation, but having a home is better. It's just that I already had a home with Marilyn Manson. This is maybe more stripped down. If the other albums are fragments of the road map to where this home is, Born Villain is that home. Born Villain is really very spelled out, to me, as you may guess. I really hope that from here on the band will go in a different direction. Because there is no reason to keep on breaking the same old ground.

Not man enough to b human Manson15Marilyn's Avatar

I found much of your findings to be very intriguing. Although, there are parts in which are different to everyone as the album is open to one's own interpretation. So, really much of what I've read is your interpretation (when it comes to the song-bysong's). There may have been parts that I think were a bit over-reaching, but overall (song-by-song's aside) this was a very good read. It gave me ideas I hadn't thought of before.

EDIT: And, of course, you're probably the only person so far to actually post parts from Les Fleurs Du Mal.
    I am your vulture, your immoral sculpture, mirrorman who understands. I know you. I am you, your fantasy, reality.

Don't be surprised I can look you in the eye. It's hard to take you serious when you take me inside.

How the fuck are we supposed to know when I'm a monster in the way you refuse to die? How the fuck are we supposed to know if we're in love or if we're in pain?
    "Are we in love or are we in pain?"

Quote Originally Posted by me_andre View Post
    Keep on, breaking the same old ground?

I liked it, and thanks for writing it. This album is quite obvious, but somehow not in the wrong way. The consept of the album is more like a manifest of Marilyn Manson unconscious than there is a narrative story. That is the same way I see Antichrist Superstar, but that album tried to be a story as well, while this does not. Born Villain feels like being home, to me. I would like a vacation, but having a home is better. It's just that I already had a home with Marilyn Manson. This is maybe more stripped down. If the other albums are fragments of the road map to where this home is, Born Villain is that home. Born Villain is really very spelled out, to me, as you may guess. I really hope that from here on the band will go in a different direction. Because there is no reason to keep on breaking the same old ground.
    Yes, I definitely think they should do something entirely different next. And I see what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Manson15Marilyn View Post
    I found much of your findings to be very intriguing. Although, there are parts in which are different to everyone as the album is open to one's own interpretation. So, really much of what I've read is your interpretation (when it comes to the song-bysong's). There may have been parts that I think were a bit over-reaching, but overall (song-by-song's aside) this was a very good read. It gave me ideas I hadn't thought of before.

EDIT: And, of course, you're probably the only person so far to actually post parts from Les Fleurs Du Mal.
    Thank you, I know that it was my own interpretation, but I think when writing something such as this you have to feel, or at least pretend that you feel very strongly about what you're saying, and that you're more right than anybody else.

Hallelujah motherfuckers thatrussianman's Avatar

How can I give feedback after my mind's been blown?
    Awesome interpretation of a very emotionally vague album, yet a great album nonetheless.