Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: BILL MAHER: Politically Incorrect, Real Time..., HBO, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overman View Post
    Both Maher and Milo are useless trolls - one liberal, the other a quasifascist lumpenintellectual, but both united in the conviction that the only legitimate form of political dialogue is that of the conspiracy theory and the hyperactive monologue. Neither of them actually knows what the fuck they're going on about; both are basically the real-world equivalent of Shangri-Lie. They are mirror images of each other, each the mouthpiece of a certain segment of the borgeoisie.

But it's difficult to fault either of them for it. They're basically what a society gets when it discourages an objective, material analysis of power relations in its educational system. Conspiracy theorizing becomes the substitute for a real understanding of social conditions.

I'd take great pleasure in acquainting them both with the pavement.
    First of all, OHEY, LOOK AT MR. CONSPIRACY BEING A HYPOCRITE.

Secondly, YEAH, JUST LOOK AT THAT CONSPIRACY THEORIST BILL MAHER:

Annnnyway, back to shit that's NOT retarded.

But one of my FAVORITE parts of the show was when the Republican Representative was all WTF THERE'S BOOZE IN MY CUP and they blew it off then 10 minutes later Seth Macfarlane was all WTF I GOT WATER I GOT NOTHING, lol. Bill literally STOOD THE FUCK UP AND DEMANDED THE MIX-UP BE FIXED IMMEDIATELY, for the sake of the show.

OMFG IT WAS AWESOME. XD XD XD

As far as I know, the whole exchange hasn't found its way online yet (PLZ, CORRECT ME!) but here's a taste.

IT IS FUCKING DELICIOUS.

OH LOOK A CONSPIRACY THEORY

Are you ever critical of anything? 'Cause I am. What I'm critical of is the fact that Maher is a fella who postures as being edgy and dangerous without being either, a shill for the Democratic Party who would be a Republican if it weren't for the predominance of Christian fundamentalism in that Party, an Islamophobe who whines about anti-Semitism constantly, an irrationalist who pretends that his lunacy concerning vaccines is somehow better than the lunacy of American Christians concerning the Book of Revelation, a transphobe who laughs along with Milo about transsexuals being "weirdos", and a gatekeeper for generic, all too conservative liberalism.

Fuck Bill Maher.
    Last edited by The Overman; 02-26-2017 at 02:04 PM.

3. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Is big-pharma's investment in slow death really a "conspiracy" or just blatantly obvious economy? Don't get me wrong, I understand that there's MASSIVE money to be made in cures for w/e, but in the meantime...

Come on now.

And, SURE, of course I think critically...I don't agree with EVERYTHING Bill's ever had to say, yet I still don't mind supporting the idea that his provocative discussions being brought to light for decades have OBVIOUSLY gained a net positive in terms of progress if for no other reason than the fact that the discussions are taking place in an influential, public discourse to begin with.

Likewise, I have zero problem with comparing the for-profit healthcare model to the for-profit prison system model. Is that a "conspiracy" or just the intake of blatantly obvious facts towards an inexorable conclusion? Hell, while I'm on a rant, I had mercury fillings myself, one of which was punched out by a playground bully and which I swallowed in the 6th grade and I've never had very good feelings about that, so I get where Bill's coming from there. I also avoid absorbing aluminum into my body, it just seems rational to stay as far away from that shit as possible. So, yeah, of course I'd look askance at any shot containing mercury or aluminum. Is that unreasonable?

But okay, donating a MILLION DOLLARS to Obama's campaign makes Maher a "shill," I guess. Or maybe just an interested party who puts his money where his mouth is? At a price tag that high I'd tend to assume the latter, personally. Who benefits otherwise? Is the suggestion that Bill has some kind of sweetheart deal because he proselytizes for the DNC or what?

And we've already discussed the anti-vaxxer thing and it was ultimately a non-starter since he's had so little to say about it in the end. But accusing the mind behind Religulous of being an "irrationalist" is just as absurd as calling the same guy an "Islamaphobe" because he accurately portrays its inherently illiberal conceits or calling him a "transphobe" because he made a humorous aside in an extraneous online bonus content joke regarding the disparity between the life experiences of an outwardly gay caricature of a human being and the conservative politician seated opposite from said caricature.

In short, your contranianism on these points seems as misguided as it is shortsighted.

Fuck anyone who says "Fuck Bill Maher" on the basis of such thin reasoning.

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I like Bill Maher, he's my type of Liberal. not a Leftist.
    "I'm Marilyn Manson, go fuck yourself"

7. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by GetDownOnYourKnees View Post
    I like Bill Maher, he's my type of Liberal. not a Leftist.
    What's wrong with being a leftist?
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

9. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by MixMastahTee View Post
    What's wrong with being a leftist?
    Insanity, Safe Spaces, getting easily triggered. ETC
    "I'm Marilyn Manson, go fuck yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by GetDownOnYourKnees View Post
    Insanity, Safe Spaces, getting easily triggered. ETC
    I wouldn't classify those traits as being inherently leftist, there are a lot of shit stains in the world that fit those categories.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

12. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Leftist != SJW.
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

Such a great episode tonight!

Wish there could have been an "Overtime" afterward to bring ALL the guests together but, alas, Bill had to gtfo of LA asap to make it to a show he was doing in Vegas the same night. Goddamn! What a workhorse.

Anyway, highlights include a KILLER monologue, Bill flying KEN BONE of 2016 presidentia debate/web-fame all the way to LA from NINETY-MILES AWAY FROM ME and not only did he basically come out of nowhere with no idea wtf Bill wanted him there for but he KILLED IT and came off about a billion times better than expected. Oh, and then we had a reasonably balanced, two-guest panel of Paul Begala vs. S.E. Cupp. He was right but old and gross and she was youngish and hot but retarded af so fair's fair, lolololol. And then OMG this fucking kid! He's literally 17 YEARS OLD and he blew EVERYONE away. Someone plz blow him so I don't have to, I'm not even ghey but if it gives him even more confidence and resolve then GODDAMNIT I'LL DO IT BECAUSE I'M A PATRIOT.

Allllso, I almost forgot...Bill fucking KILLED IT with the New Rules segment, too! Especially the part where he highlighted things I've been saying for DECADES. Banks and phone companies and airlines are FLEECING citizens with bullshit fees and I hope like hell Sen. Warren helps skewer those bastards for it as much in the future as she has already. WARREN 2020, DAMNIT. But also gift cards. The whole reason they have them by checkout lanes and push them so hard, even as reward points offers from credit cards, is that they're often lost or even just expire before they're used but the businesses STILL gets the credit for the purchases never really made and services never really rendered.

That said, I need to get a bank account again soon and OMG I need all the gift cards I can get, lol.

I mean, I get it but what a fucked up business model.

AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.

Whatever, here's a quick sampling: