Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marilyn Manson & In This Moment

Quote Originally Posted by Kollaps View Post
    Did anyone actually complain about that? I just said they were average and nothing special, which obviously tantalised Empirical into "I'm a fuckin' big cop!! raaaarrgghhh!!" mode.
    WATCH OUT,YOU MAY BE TEMP BANNED
    .....AGAIN.....
    .....FOR THE 85TH TIME.....
    <3

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Kollaps View Post
    Did anyone actually complain about that? I just said they were average and nothing special, which obviously tantalised Empirical into "I'm a fuckin' big cop!! raaaarrgghhh!!" mode.
    First reply in the thread, actually.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Original AIDS provider.

Back again. I started putting this together a while back, but have only got around to finishing it recently. As such, some of this will be old news, as a lot of media reviews have been citing Maria Brink as the 'female Marilyn Manson' (remember: you heard it here first). Hopefully I'll be going a bit more in-depth with that comparison here though.

Last year, In This Moment released their new album Black Widow, and ever since I’ve seen an increasing number of people refer to frontwoman Maria Brink as ‘a female Marilyn Manson’. Y’all just remember that I called it first.
Here’s some of what I spotted pretty much as soon as the album and associated videos and live shows dropped.

The album overall continues the style they began to develop on their previous album Blood, expanding on the use of electronic elements and at times stepping in to straight up industrial metal territory.

The first single for the album was ‘Sick Like Me’:

The comparisons can be made fairly early, at the 0:14 second mark we see light-up, Vegas style letters reminiscent of the ‘DRUGS’ sign from the Mechanical Animals live shows, with Maria Brink in a vaguely crucified pose on a spiderweb (recalling the album’s spider imagery), similar to Omega’s entrance crucified on a cross of televisions.
    A few seconds after this, we see the first of several shots throughout the song’s introduction where Maria has large, bat-wing like trails of fabric under her arms, which called to mind this image of Manson:

Thanks to S.D. for helping me locate that photo.

Finally, throughout the video there are various shots of Maria writhing in a bathtub, similar to the shots of Manson used throughout the video for (s)AINT:

The second single and video released for the album was ‘Big Bad Wolf’:

Again, the comparisons here are readily apparent and appear quickly within the introduction to the song. First of all, Maria is seen wearing a tan/ dirty white, tight fitting leotard with strips of material hanging from the sleeves, echoing the clothing Manson often wore during the Dead To The World Touring cycle:

We can also see the lines painted on both her forehead, upper chest and neck, which calls to mind not only the Celebritarian cross, but the ‘T’ emblem Manson can be seen wearing on his face in the artwork for Holy Wood:

Lastly, at the 0:43 mark, we can see her performing inside a tall, narrow cage. This prop also continued through to live performances of the song, seen here:

which I found to bear resemblance to the box Manson would break his way out of during performances of ‘Great Big White World’:

with the thick, slightly hazy plastic Manson used over the frame, it also ties in with the curtains and shadow performance I previously mentioned In This Moment using.

Finally, while they are loose connections, given the context they seem best to mention for the sake of completeness. In the song Maria uses a high-pitched voice which has previously, including by myself, been noted as being similar to Yo-landi from Die Antwoord. However, high falsetto has been something of a trademark of Manson’s style as well. There are also several brief shots of the dancers wearing their masks on backward to give the impression their heads are twisted around at the neck, and seems like it wouldn’t have been entirely out of place in something from The Golden Age of Grotesque.

The third and most recent single released from Black Widow is ‘Sex Metal Barbie’. Even before the video came out, the song put me in mind of Manson. The dirty, hip-hop inflected beat combined with more regular hard rock elements brings to mind certain songs off The Golden Age of Grotesque, while the song’s concept - the lyrics are based on negative comments about the band on social media they found through Googling themselves - reminded me of ‘Para-noir’ being made up of women’s anonymous confessions on why they would sleep with a man.

In the video itself, we almost immediately see a stage prop they have been using in live shows for a while now, that should immediately be apparent to any Manson fan:

Also, note the grotesque, slow-motion face distortions, often in clashing colour contrasts that remind me somewhat of certain shots from Slo-Mo-Tion. There are also a lot of warped, distorted visages that call to mind the Sweet Dreams video, which also ties in with the shot of Maria on stilts in the hallway from Adrenalize Me, above.

(The above screen caps can be seen in context in the appropriate videos at 0:00/ 3:44 and 0:48/ 3:16 respectively.)

This is not the only similar shot, as the second verse features a tall, towering Maria not dissimilar to Manson’s heightened posture over the crowd in The Beautiful People.

(Again, these can be seen in context at 2:53 and 2:44.)

That's pretty much all I got for now, but hopefully this is of interest to some people - especially anyone that's a fan of both bands.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Never mind.

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

I like In This Moment, but i don't think they are copycats. Many artists get inspired by other artists and so on.

Look at all Manson has done. If you compare Manson's work with other bands and artists, he would seem to be the copycat. Especially Manson getting all inspired by Bowie on MA and much more work.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, I don't know if that breaks the rules or anything...?

But In this Moment have a released a new song with some more resembles to Marilyn Manson, with the whole religion/dressing up a pope. I don't think any of their other music has really gone down the religious path, most of their songs is just hypersexulised to the nth degree. I've only ever listened to Black Widow and Blood.

Some good old bible page turning there.

Its not a bad song, I actually like it for the fact it doesn't sound like ITM although once the chorus hits back to the same meh ITM.

Also anyone finding it more difficult to tell the difference between ITM and The Pretty Reckless apart from the heaviness.