Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did MM do to his voice in EMDM?

Default What did MM do to his voice in EMDM?

Sorry for so many topics but does anyone else dislike the heavy voice effects in EMDM? I wouldn't say it ruins the album totally but imo it would sound loads better without his voice sounding so scratchy and deep. What are your thoughts on that?

I don't know that I can answer this, except to say that I don't think his voice has that scratchy quality throughout the album. He sounds more like he did on Holy Wood in "If I Was Your Vampire" to my ears, and his singing voice on the title track sounds basically like it did in "Spade" to me. I tend to think it was a deliberate stylistic change. I know he talked about singing while laying down in parts of the record.

I think the best example is You and Me and the Devil Makes 3. I tried listening to it in my truck the other day and had to turn it off. His voice is really scratchy and raspy. So I went to audacity and sorta removed the effect and imo it sounds loads better.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Courtesy of Cringeon, I've had the chance to listen to the multi-layered vocal tracks from albums like Antichrist Superstar, and whilst fans assume that to be one of Manson's most aggressive vocal deliveries, it did in fact require more digital trickery than later records to achieve said effect, simply because Manson was younger, and his voice hadn't developed that rougher quality we take for granted. I think he's always aimed for a coarse, dark Jim Morrison or Al Jourgensen vocal delivery, but it's taken a little longer for that to be natural rather than perfected in-studio, and EAT ME, DRINK ME's simply an example of it coming more naturally.

Incidentally, I recall a short televised interview with Manson in the UK, backstage prior to Reading Festival 2001. In it, he mentioned that at a show that same week, he'd accidentally "inhaled some fire" during a pyrotechnic incident. The interviewer asked if he was okay, and Manson's response was simply that "It's alright, it just made my voice rougher", so that's clearly a benefit.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Hallelujah motherfuckers thatrussianman's Avatar

I thought the scratchy quality on You me and the devil makes 3 is one of the things that made the song.
    I'm not actually Russian.

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

In some songs that voice sounds silky, and in some it sounds rough. There are obvious effects done to his voice, but I think it works perfectly for EMDM. I think the vocals for that entire album were some of his best.

Hallelujah motherfuckers thatrussianman's Avatar

The vocals on born villain sound so un-filtered I'm surprised they were pitch corrected at all
    I'm not actually Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by thatrussianman View Post
    The vocals on born villain sound so un-filtered I'm surprised they were pitch corrected at all
    They were pitch corrected?

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

There's not pitch correction, but they used a vocoder in Goddamn Arms before the outro for a desired effect.

MM typically would have one or two main vocal takes in verses, and then might double them up in the chorus for added thickness. With earlier albums, I think MM probably just went back and did take after take after take until he had some performances that made the result we hear. The recording on EMDM and also THEOL, I think was pretty much the same of doing multiple takes layered together, but he didn't spend time going back to do retakes if they didn't mesh perfectly. There's really not a lot of effects on his voice during EMDM, but you do hear a lot of pitch roughness from where multiple takes are not perfectly in tune with one another. I'm sure it would be just as easy for him to have Skold or Vrenna or Sean run it all through pitch correction to even it out - but I think it's natural flawed vibe is really what he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Heel Hardy View Post
    I think the best example is You and Me and the Devil Makes 3. I tried listening to it in my truck the other day and had to turn it off. His voice is really scratchy and raspy. So I went to audacity and sorta removed the effect and imo it sounds loads better.
    YouTube?