Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did MM do to his voice in EMDM?

They were distorted, as he recorded them in the past for the future. The time travel just screwed his vocals up a bit is all.

#Antichristproblems

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

He did mention that he would sit on the floor of the studio and 'cup' the microphone to give his voice a "Very distinctive sound to it". I really love the sound of his voice on EMDM. It sounds more.... seducing.. which is what he was aiming for. You And Me And The Devil Makes 3, sound a lot heavier with his vocals like that. He definatly did a different style of recording. On The High End Of Low, his voice might sound a little more "Natural", of you may, but Eat Me, Drink Me was a One-Take Record. The vocals were all one take. His vocals were a lot more RAW. I love it.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

3. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post

I can never tell if the pitch is intentional or not, always thought it was part of his style since it shows on other albums.

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Fast Food Nude. Whisky And Speed's Avatar

He said that he held a ribbon mic between his hands laying on the floor singing and the ribbon mic isn't supposed to be held that way. This setup resulted in the tone of voice you heard. Moreover, the sound was raw without too much production or layering except for some songs. It was a raw, honest album recorded in an amateurish,experimental spirit like BV and even more raw. That's all.

7. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Cupping the mic also eliminates the mic's polarity pattern (the directions from which the mic pickups sound) because the voice is being funneled through the hands, so it's easier to push the mic harder for more breakup, and also let's you get a more close/intimate sound. Some bands use it as a trick to compensate for their lack of power live (especially screamers live) but MM hasn't ever seen like a cupper in that aspect so I imagine it was just more for that "close up" sound.

9. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

He's been cupping the mic on and off at some of his recent shows. That close-up effect tends to drown out the rest of the band and doesn't sound too good when everything is being half screamed. The only loss the band may have to compensate for is the loss of Manson's voice. The intimacy will still be there with a good balance of dynamics.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Talking studio / not live.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Catholic Girls with UZIs johncraze's Avatar

Manson just wanted to sing like some psychotic goth crooner, and it happened.

Definitely there is a magic to EMDM no one appreciated it back in the day.

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

The vocals sound kinda whiny to me. There are some weird vocal effects as well. Never really liked them. With Holywood-styled vocals this would be one of my favorite records tbh, because the rest is really stellar, besides a few cheesy lyrics.

"What did MM do to his voice in EMDM?" He made it sound like shit. FIN.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

17. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post