Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did MM do to his voice in EMDM?

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

The vocals annoy me as i get more halfway through the record. It sounds rough and filtered. Notice how "This Is Halloween" sounds with his vocals and compare it to EMDM.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

Visit cataract777's Youtube Channel

The vocals can come off as ridiculous here and there but luckily it doesn't bother me too much. But sometimes it is indeed laughable.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I think his vocal delivery has been notably different - for different reasons - on every record. Portrait Of An American Family was a sort-of Iggy Pop/Jim Morrison American drawl, Antichrist Superstar was a psychological croak with razorblade screeches. Mechanical Animals had that low-breathing, baritone croon to it. Holy Wood was world-weary, probably the closest to channelling Portrait... again. The Golden Age Of Grotesque was a sort of animated, bouncing wail - which carried on through the next two covers; Personal Jesus and This Is Halloween.

Which leads nicely into...

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    Notice how "This Is Halloween" sounds with his vocals and compare it to EMDM.
    I think that although This Is Halloween is a song that features about fifteen different characters (note the film version), Manson's recording managed to sound exactly how you'd expect a Marilyn Manson song to sound despite being a cover. It's a great track, but I feel like EAT ME, DRINK ME was him trying something new, slightly similar to Mechanical Animals, but not as knowingly emphasised. Singing as he would normally sing, basically, without projecting any weird androgyne, mythical persona into it. There are points on the record where that reveals a slight vulnerability as a singer, but I think it helps emphasise the atmosphere of the album.
    On The High End Of Low, he took this a step further, making it sound like Marilyn Manson playing the character of Marilyn Manson, everything I just observed in reverse, basically. The last two albums have been more similar to each other in that they've got this... New-Manson feel to them. I'm not sure exactly how to explain it, but it's like they're not influenced by anything, they're not supposed to be anything, it's him singing in his own voice, but unlike EAT ME, DRINK ME, they're from a perspective of confidence, personal pride and not postured grandeur, like Antichrist (for example).

Also as he's gotten older, a lot of the rasping, deeper effects that used to be created with studio trickery, are now just things his voice naturally does, so it requires less layering and multi-tracking in the studio, which goes hand-in-hand with the more 'raw', or honest sound he's tried to capture since EAT ME, DRINK ME.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

4. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Visit cataract777's Youtube Channel

The vocal effects on this record don't particularly bother me, except for on one song. And that would be the title track. It's just way too over the top. I still enjoy the hell out of the song though.

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

I respect what he did with his vocals on EMDM, which he tried to capture a raw sound, and using one takes, much like what he has done ever since then. I don't know what they did to give the vocals that certain sound, but I think it works with the instrumentals well. Had he just used his vocals without any effects of some sort, and having a much more clearer sound, it would have sounded better. It just sounds like you're listening to a 128 kbps mp3 track.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

First of all, I was one of the few that loved EMDM from day 1. I just fucking loved it. But even though I loved it, I noticed his voice sounded a little weird or different on it. Like he used a "bad" distortion. But I hate using words like "bad" because again, it's one of my favorite albums. It's quite a conundrum. I think I was just used to how he sounded on HW or MA and wasn't expecting such a raw with mild distortion sound. Oh well. It's a great album. But funnily enough that you guys brought up This Is Halloween, I felt like that didn't really "sound" like him either. I fully understand what you said, S.D., about all the voices and characters in the song...it sounds like what you'd expect a Marilyn Manson song to sound like and if you didn't know any better, you'd think he wrote it. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about his vocal quality in the song itself. Seems like he's using another weird little distortion on his voice in it (aside/nothing to do with the different characters he represents in the song). When I first heard This Is Halloween, I didn't think it sounded like Manson....like something was wrong with his voice. I felt the same way on EMDM and subsequent records, but have since gotten used to it and accept it....but it still just doesn't sound like anything like his first four albums. Maybe he really did fuck up his voice. I think I first noticed an obvious difference on Golden Age. I loved how he sounded live during the tours, but something about his voice sounded a little weaker on that album and it's just gotten worse and worse. Again, I hate using the word "worse" because that implies bad. It's not necessarily bad, just very different. I wish he could make another album with how his voice sounded on Holy Wood. It was raspy and heavy but yet somehow polished. I've gotten used to it as I've said, but especially on Pale Emperor, it's so obvious how his voice has changed (downgraded?) over the years. It's gotten naturally a lot deeper and worn. I wonder if he were to go and re-record all of HW or MA if he'd even be able to mimic exactly how it sounded these days if he wanted to. I'd like to hope that he could still pull it off. I hope the next album he sounds more like that and less like Pale Emperor, and I hope he remembers how to write better catchy anthems with rebellious angsty lyrics again too.

10. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Eat Internet Primadonnas
    Follow Penance Sentence On Twitter Add Penance Sentence on Facebook Follow Penance Sentence on Tumblr Visit Penance Sentence's Youtube Channel Visit Penance Sentence's Instagram Channel

The deeper his voice, the better. When his ex dumped him around 2009, even in interviews, he came across as so effeminate and broken.

He's putting the Manson back in Marilyn fucking Manson, and he's happier for it. He even was able to write a better record because of it.

Challenge this view if you want, or not, but he's a lot fucking happier now that he's more masculine. The deepness of his voice would make a less produced, and raw, album sound incredible.

MM should make a full Noise album. Won't ever happen, but it'd be fucking incredible.

SLC was a Noise album, pretty much, but too many remixes and not enough SYMPATHY FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING PARENTS!

EDIT: On another note, I truly believe MM helped popularize transgendered, and gender crisises; he inspired Lady Gaga who REALLY did it. Overall, I think it's a great thing. Although more social changes MUST and WILL occur, it's a fucking start. Mind control at its finest, and I can thank, a lot of it to MM. But, the whole 'Rockstar' life, yeah even with the Glam, is a very Masculine thing. Sex, Drugs, Rock n Roll, and Red Meat. Not really feminine shit.

This is why I really believe MM influenced culture greatly. A great deal of his fan base, are of the effeminate type, and kind of trans-y. Am I wrong? Just an observation. I think it's a great thing too, but MM, as a person, is a very Masculine presence. Even Rose McGowan said this of him.

I firmly believe he tricked a lot of people into adopting effeminate habits. Ironically, he likes a great deal of Glam stuff, but as a person, very Masculine, and he experiments a lot, not necessarily with himself, but with people. There are several different kinds of MM fan, obviously.

It's hard to imagine I belong to the same fan base as a guy whose favorite album is EMDM, but somehow, I do. And MM is brilliant, and this is the real reason I like MM.

SLC&ACSS til I die.
    Last edited by Penance Sentence; 02-22-2016 at 08:09 PM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

If you're referring to me, I didn't say EMDM was my favorite album, though I do have a strong affinity toward it probably because I was going through pretty much the same damn thing he was (literally, to the extent that my ex stole one of my fucking cats! But I got her back!). I like this new masculine Manson. Really, aside from Mechanical Animals and the Long Hard Road video, I never thought he was effeminate. Though I do appreciate what he's done for that community. He's always struck me as masculine and strong. And when he portrayed androgynous and effeminate characters, it was obviously just characters. Can't wait till the next album. I hope it's the best yet.

Eat Internet Primadonnas
    Follow Penance Sentence On Twitter Add Penance Sentence on Facebook Follow Penance Sentence on Tumblr Visit Penance Sentence's Youtube Channel Visit Penance Sentence's Instagram Channel

I didn't mean to imply you said it.
    I also meant effeminate MM as, basically, only HEOL MM.

He was an unfortunate wreck back then.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Skold tried to make a blues album, and over did the effect. Manson singing into a mic doesn't really change from album to album.