Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Manson Fan Opinions?

Not man enough to b human Manson15Marilyn's Avatar

The High End of Low is a better album than Antichrist Svperstar.

Putting Holes in Happiness is quite possibly their best music video they've ever made.

Para-Noir, Better of Two Evils, Mutilation is the Most Sincere Form of Flattery, WOW, Unkillable Monster are all very good songs with very good lyrics.

The Manson Family Album makes for a better debut than Portrait of an American Family, but I do prefer the absolute original demo versions of most of the songs on either.
    I am your vulture, your immoral sculpture, mirrorman who understands. I know you. I am you, your fantasy, reality.

Don't be surprised I can look you in the eye. It's hard to take you serious when you take me inside.

How the fuck are we supposed to know when I'm a monster in the way you refuse to die? How the fuck are we supposed to know if we're in love or if we're in pain?
    "Are we in love or are we in pain?"

Hallelujah motherfuckers thatrussianman's Avatar

K. Cynical here.

*Anybody who says Portrait is better than any of the albums that came after it are kidding themselves.
    *ACSS is wonderful but extremely, EXTREMELY dated.
    *Mechanical Animals is one of my least favorite Manson albums, even though it is fantastic.
    *Holy Wood is his best album, but goddammit The Death Song is an acquired taste, I used to hate it.
    *I love every track on GAOG and I DON'T think it's repetetive.
    I'm not actually Russian.

Pogo was the best former member, IMO. A lot of you guys are just saying popular fan opinions, though, I noticed. "Antichrist Superstar/The Beautiful People" being the best music video/album is really popular to think within and outside of the fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Manson15Marilyn View Post
    The High End of Low is a better album than Antichrist Svperstar.

Putting Holes in Happiness is quite possibly their best music video they've ever made.

Para-Noir, Better of Two Evils, Mutilation is the Most Sincere Form of Flattery, WOW, Unkillable Monster are all very good songs with very good lyrics.

The Manson Family Album makes for a better debut than Portrait of an American Family, but I do prefer the absolute original demo versions of most of the songs on either.
    Nice!! I don't agree with all that you say (regarding THEOL and "Putting Holes in Happiness," though I do love them), but it's great to read some real controversial opinions that I wouldn't have expected! Really digging this Thread so far.
    Last edited by A Better Messiah; 10-09-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Vodka. Grey Goose. Cold. petticoat's Avatar

I, uhm, really liked Golden Age. Really liked. Okay, loved.
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. --William Blake

Manson absolutely butchered the Alice in Wonderland theme with EMDM with how the album was so obviously about his transition from fucking Dita to fucking Evan.
    Both of whom I hate. I think Dita and Evan were Manson's worst girlfriends/fiances/wife.

I forgot to mention that:

Of all former members the one I would like to be back the most is Pogo. My dream-lineup would be: Twiggy, Skold and Pogo. I don't really care about who the drummer would be.

I never liked Chris Vrenna. The samples and sounds he uses almost never fit the atmosphere of the song in my opinion.

I think that Manson keeps wasting the potential behind the new tour - he's in a good shape, the theatrical elements are back, I love the masks, but the setlist is awful. "Personal Jesus" sounds like a joke while "Disposable Teens" or "Sweet Dreams" are just boring after years of playing them. I also don't understand how this tour is a promotional tour for "Born Villain" if the band only plays 4 (occasionally 5) songs of it.

-I miss Pogo.
    -Eat Me, Drink Me is a great album.
    -The one song I almost never listen to is A Place in the Dirt. I love the lyrics but I usually forget it exists until it comes on when I use shuffle.
    -The Beautiful People is very overrated and I think Lunchbox is a more iconic song for Marilyn Manson. This is based solely on personal taste and nothing more.
    -Portrait was awesome and should not be forgotten.
    -I think Holy Wood is too long. I would take out The Death Song, Born Again, and Burning Flag and make them b-sides on the singles from that era.
    -Running to the Edge of the World puts me to sleep. I don't like it at all.
    -I only like a few songs from THEOL.
    -Mechanical Animals is the best Manson album. It's perfect.
    -I LIKE CYCLOPS. (I just sinned)
    -I listen to The Horrible People more than The Beautiful People.
    -Diary of a Dope Fiend is one of my favorite Manson songs.
    -Misery Machine or Astonishing Panorama should be played as an encore instead of The Beautiful People.
    -I always skip Sweet Dreams. I can't listen to it anymore.
    -I Put a Spell on You > Sweet Dreams
    -Ka-Boom Ka-Boom, The Bright Young Things, and Better of Two Evils are skipped every time.
    -I don't think I like Breaking the Same Old Ground.
    -I wish You're so Vain wasn't on Born Villain.
    -I like Wormboy.
    -Heart-Shaped Glasses isn't that bad, and the music video is better than any videos that came out for The High End of Low.
    -Disposable Teens is so boring, unless it's in a live setting.
    -"President Dead" is a great song and should be played live more often.
    -Worst Manson song: Unkillable Monster.
    -Despite being cranky all these years, Daisy's guitar work in Manson is some of the best.
    -Zim Zum wrote a lot of the guitar work on Mechanical Animals, so I love him for that.
    -However, I think he sucked as a live player.
    -I think John 5 played Manson songs perfectly, almost too perfect. His live playing with the band was fucking awesome but I agree about his lack of songwriting skills compared to Twiggy.
    -Skold was great. He's a big reason why I love EMDM. But I prefer Twiggy, Daisy, John 5 (live), and Zim Zum (studio).
    -Twiggy was shit at live guitar during 2009, but he's definitely gotten better and I'm excited about this current line-up.
    -Best Manson eras: 1996-2002, 2012 (it's pretty exciting to be a MM fan today, IMO).
    -Best line-up: Manson, John 5, Twiggy, Pogo, Ginger Fish.
    -Second best line-up: Manson, Twiggy, Fred Sablan, Jason Sutter.
    -Dream line-up: [in studio] Manson, Daisy, Zim Zum, Twiggy, Pogo, Chris Vrenna, Ginger Fish.
    -Dream line-up: [live] Same as best line-up.

-There are no songs on GAOG I can't listen to multiple times, even Vodevil and Bright Young Things, which I actually consider favorites.

-It may have been better to go on the defense, rather than avoidance of the media after Columbine.

-Wight Spider, which seems to be a favorite at least on this forum, is forgettable to me.

-Marilyn Manson was the best thing to happen to Trent Reznor, not the other way around. (That's controversy for NIN fans.)

-Holy Wood is the weakest album of the nineties, however...

-...that is not in comparison to Portrait because I consider Portrait to be the "Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids" album, not a "Marilyn Manson" album. The feel is unlike any of the others except in the way that both it and ACSS tackle religion and politics.

GAOG is amazing

Trent Reznor was a huge part of ACSS

Manson could be even better with the right producer

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    The few thousand people stood around me when they played it live in London didn't seem to be rolling their eyes. I guess that in itself is something of a 'controversial' opinion; that I find We're From America to be one of the most visceral and enjoyable Manson songs in his catalogue, I really love it.

Another odd one is that it took me about ten years to really appreciate the nuances of Tourniquet. I listened to every possible detail of Antichrist Superstar after getting my first copy, but it wasn't until hearing Twiggy's guitar work after re-joining the band that I recognised the initial implant of it in that song. I don't think it was a case of disliking Tourniquet or anything, I was more indifferent to it, but having heard his approach to something like Into The Fire, I spot the searing guitar work and peculiarity of Tourniquet more.
    I'm not saying it's not a good "get up and mosh" song. It certainly has that arena rock fist pumping sound. But if you asked all of those people about the lyrics they'd probably say they are pretty obvious. It just doesn't say anything new or isn't common opinion already AND it's a pale contemporary comparison to Irresponsible Hate Anthem, Burning Flag and any of the other dozen songs he has on the same theme of the hypocrisy of American values.

Definitely agree that Tourniquet is brilliantly layered, though. It's a song I've grown to love more and more with time.