Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 100 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Manson Fan Opinions?

(...)
    Last edited by vilebody; 12-25-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Follow Sdemonik On Twitter

- I listen to Born Villain everyday alongside Antichrist Superstar.
    - EMDM gotta love it.
    - Can't say I hate any album, cause they all have a unique sound that i'll most likely always listen to.
    - Holy-Wood = Amazing.
    - Sure I skip songs, Doesn't mean I don't like them.
    - The Beautiful People is overrated, but does that even matter? Not really.

^^ In regards to The Beautiful People being over rated, and aside from outside media perception, a large part of why it's over rated is Manson's fault himself. I'm not sure if this will make sense to everyone, but try to bear with me. I think Manson is accidentally (or purposely?) turning himself into a one hit wonder. ...A one hit wonder who also has a cover song (sweet dreams) that did pretty good in the 90s. He's resting on his laurels and making himself into a 90s one hit wonder. Not to us maybe. But think about how he talked of seeing Led Zeppelin and "wanting that kind of feeling back (with twiggy) because they wrote TBP, etc.." The fact that he always closes with The Beautiful People. He's making that his "hit". Making people over excited over this one random song at the end of a show. That is pigeon holing himself. Also, think about his other singles. They are all really really good. It was hearing Disposable Teens that made me a fan. He'll play that song second, as if it's just another song. That was a big single when it was released. It was featured in many prominent big budget Hollywood films at the time. Disposable Teens, or Dope Show, or Mobscene could have easily taken place of The Beautiful People as the fan favorite encore that is awaiting to be played. Rob Zombie is doing the same thing to himself with Dragula. You can make these songs appear to be your big hit and play them last, or you can not play them at all, or get them over with early in the set and close with something a bit more recent or epic.

Manson is also turning into one of these elder bands that only play tracks from a couple early albums and then from the most recent. Not that there is any shame in it really... Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Ozzy, ...basically every 80s band and earlier ends up doing this. Maybe they feel as though they are playing the songs their fans want to hear. Well, it's a great way to not stay relevant. And it puts a date on you. In Manson's case, about 1996. A 90s bands with just a couple hits who's trying to promote their new shitty album.

I'm not offering an answer, I'm just putting it out there that he's really limiting himself by not playing anything from POAAF, GAOG, EMDM, and THEOL. So all that is left is a couple hits from the big 3 albums, and then a couple new songs, just to promote the latest effort. Maybe he should pull an Iron Maiden and have every other tour setlist showcasing a different period of his career, now that he has a fairly large song catalogue. So in other words, 1 tour will be all POAAF - HW, and 2nd tour will be only songs from GAOG - BV. And just rotate every other tour that way. Thoughts?

Not man enough to b human Manson15Marilyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Better Messiah View Post
    Pogo was the best former member, IMO. A lot of you guys are just saying popular fan opinions, though, I noticed. "Antichrist Superstar/The Beautiful People" being the best music video/album is really popular to think within and outside of the fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Manson15Marilyn View Post
    The High End of Low is a better album than Antichrist Svperstar.

Putting Holes in Happiness is quite possibly their best music video they've ever made.

Para-Noir, Better of Two Evils, Mutilation is the Most Sincere Form of Flattery, WOW, Unkillable Monster are all very good songs with very good lyrics.

The Manson Family Album makes for a better debut than Portrait of an American Family, but I do prefer the absolute original demo versions of most of the songs on either.
    Nice!! I don't agree with all that you say (regarding THEOL and "Putting Holes in Happiness," though I do love them), but it's great to read some real controversial opinions that I wouldn't have expected! Really digging this Thread so far.
    Hah! I noticed the same thing. All this talk about loving EAT ME DRINK ME (recently, its becoming more and more a well-recieved album by Manson fans), mechanical animals (really, the trilogy in general).

C'mon guys, are you just saying stuff so you can fit in or are you really being controversial by having your own genuine opinion? And be honest...

"Anything to belong" XD
    I am your vulture, your immoral sculpture, mirrorman who understands. I know you. I am you, your fantasy, reality.

Don't be surprised I can look you in the eye. It's hard to take you serious when you take me inside.

How the fuck are we supposed to know when I'm a monster in the way you refuse to die? How the fuck are we supposed to know if we're in love or if we're in pain?
    "Are we in love or are we in pain?"

^ No offense, but someone who's using the new MM logo as a board icon coupled with the posting name, "Manson15Marilyn," probably shouldn't be asking others if they're being honest or just trying to fit in.

I don't think EMDM was that poorly received amongst Manson's core fan base. HSG, for sure, but not the album as a whole. I seem to remember it was mostly non-fans or casual fans who were simply dismissing it as "Manson is all emo now."

THEOL is the real controversial album. Personally, when it came out I thought it was a case of The Emperor's New Clothes and you couldn't say a single negative thing about it without everyone jumping on your back. Now, it seems like a lot of that new album sheen has worn off on a lot of people.

Every fan who got into MM after GAOG is a retard.
    9/11 was an inside job.
    Manson is old. Manson is fat. Manson is a terrible singer. Manson is washed up.

Quote Originally Posted by M Tragedy666 View Post
    Manson is also turning into one of these elder bands that only play tracks from a couple early albums and then from the most recent. Not that there is any shame in it really... Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Ozzy, ...basically every 80s band and earlier ends up doing this. Maybe they feel as though they are playing the songs their fans want to hear. Well, it's a great way to not stay relevant. And it puts a date on you. In Manson's case, about 1996. A 90s bands with just a couple hits who's trying to promote their new shitty album.
    The only 80s group that I know of that refuses to fall into this is Iron Maiden. They seem to want to alternate tours. On U.S. tours: 2006, AMOLAD in its entirety. 2008, Greatest Hits of 80's. 2010, Greatest "Hits" of 00's plus six oldies. 2012, Maiden England, 80s. What I've learned from fan opinions on this is that you simply cannot please everyone. The '06 tour really pissed some people off, but die hard fans heaped praise for promoting their new sound/relevancy. Same with 2010. And on the 80's oriented tours Bruce responded to criticism of being 'dinosaurs' (see Flight 666).

In order to stay on topic, here is my (not so) controversial opinion based on this: Although Manson continues to inspire, his music is bound to become dated as he moves farther from the media shock that vaulted him to an A-List level of infamy and the time has come for him to perform as a legend, not a continual innovator. He should continue to play the classics as he sees fit and it's really up to nobody but him to decide because no band can ever please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Lama
    Every fan who got into MM after GAOG is a retard.
    9/11 was an inside job.
    Manson is old. Manson is fat. Manson is a terrible singer. Manson is washed up.
    ALAS! JUICY CONTROVERSY!

1- I can't help the fact that I was born in 1991 and my parents were pros at sheltering. I became a fan shortly after LWF was released.
    2- Well that's indisputable. :)
    3- Old - Yes
    Fat - No more than average
    A Terrible Singer - Sometimes live, but age does that.
    Washed Up - The dude still sells tons of new shit and parties with Johnny Depp. Not my definition of washed up.

Quote Originally Posted by AssetReign
    ^ No offense, but someone who's using the new MM logo as a board icon coupled with the posting name, "Manson15Marilyn," probably shouldn't be asking others if they're being honest or just trying to fit in.
    I dunno...he didn't wait the two extra days to join on 5/15.

Add arkahno on Facebook Follow arkahno on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by M Tragedy666 View Post
    ^^ In regards to The Beautiful People being over rated, and aside from outside media perception, a large part of why it's over rated is Manson's fault himself. I'm not sure if this will make sense to everyone, but try to bear with me. I think Manson is accidentally (or purposely?) turning himself into a one hit wonder. ...A one hit wonder who also has a cover song (sweet dreams) that did pretty good in the 90s. He's resting on his laurels and making himself into a 90s one hit wonder. Not to us maybe. But think about how he talked of seeing Led Zeppelin and "wanting that kind of feeling back (with twiggy) because they wrote TBP, etc.." The fact that he always closes with The Beautiful People. He's making that his "hit". Making people over excited over this one random song at the end of a show. That is pigeon holing himself. Also, think about his other singles. They are all really really good. It was hearing Disposable Teens that made me a fan. He'll play that song second, as if it's just another song. That was a big single when it was released. It was featured in many prominent big budget Hollywood films at the time. Disposable Teens, or Dope Show, or Mobscene could have easily taken place of The Beautiful People as the fan favorite encore that is awaiting to be played. Rob Zombie is doing the same thing to himself with Dragula. You can make these songs appear to be your big hit and play them last, or you can not play them at all, or get them over with early in the set and close with something a bit more recent or epic.

I'm not offering an answer, I'm just putting it out there that he's really limiting himself by not playing anything from POAAF, GAOG, EMDM, and THEOL. So all that is left is a couple hits from the big 3 albums, and then a couple new songs, just to promote the latest effort. Maybe he should pull an Iron Maiden and have every other tour setlist showcasing a different period of his career, now that he has a fairly large song catalogue. So in other words, 1 tour will be all POAAF - HW, and 2nd tour will be only songs from GAOG - BV. And just rotate every other tour that way. Thoughts?
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Willice View Post

I dunno...he didn't wait the two extra days to join on 5/15.
    Ya, but 05 + 13 + 12 = 30 divided by 2 = 15. lulz