Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Album #9

Default Album #9

We're about halfway through the Born Villain era now, and I suspect that the band is already starting to generate ideas for their next move (the writing process for Born Villain apparently began while the band was on tour in support of The High End Of Low). Towards that end, I don't think it too early to begin talking about what we'd like to see on the next record, assuming that there is going to be one - and I'm willing to bet there will be.

I loved Born Villain, and I feel it represents a strong improvement on the last effort. That said, every Manson album is different from those that came before it, and one of the hallmarks of the band is its chameleon-like ability to segue between styles from release to subsequent release.

Personally, I've always wanted Manson to try his hand at an EBM album. That might prove more difficult now that Chris Vrenna isn't in the band - we'll have to see who his long-term replacement on keys is going to be - but something like this coming from the band would really excite me, obviously sans female vocals:

I thought Born Villain made some overtures in this direction, particularly on "Children Of Cain" and the title track. I'd like Manson to run with it. I'd consider it both a logical progression from those elements of Born Villain and an interesting update to the Marilyn Manson sound.
    Last edited by The Overman; 10-15-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

I'm fond of Twiggy's style, and actually like the desert rock vibe on THEOL. I'd love them to just continue on whatever track they're already on but would love to see more input from Fred and a live drummer. I'm not as much into the electro stuff, so I lean more towards the organic/guitar driven stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    I'm fond of Twiggy's style, and actually like the desert rock vibe on THEOL. I'd love them to just continue on whatever track they're already on but would love to see more input from Fred and a live drummer. I'm not as much into the electro stuff, so I lean more towards the organic/guitar driven stuff.
    I wouldn't mind keeping the next record 'organic', but I do think it's important for some sort of stylistic shift to take place, for concerns of continuity most of all. It can be subtle - maybe a sort of gothic metal album? - but it shouldn't, to my mind, sound like any of the other albums.

A bluesy rock/metal type thing. With a mix of things like Four Rusted Horses, Goddamn Arms and a couple songs like Murderers.

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    A bluesy rock/metal type thing. With a mix of things like Four Rusted Horses, Goddamn Arms and a couple songs like Murderers.
    Aarrrrgh. But that's already been done! :P

I'd like him to find the perfect record to go out on. Given the choice between one last, epic, Manson era and a series of half-hearted efforts which lead further and further into obscurity, I'd go for the former. Born Villain is a step in the right direction but he's not there yet. Here a few things I think are worth giving a shot.

1) I think it should be a band centered album. And at this point, the group seems to be at the most stable it's been in a long time. Take advantage of that. Spend a few weeks jamming. Try some new songs out on tour. Back in the early days you could see songs evolving. Smells Like Children turned into Kinderfeld over time. How many incarnations did Astonishing Panorama go through? Let the songs grow a little before slapping them on a record. The last few albums feel like they were written in a vacuum and a lot of them (particularly on THEOL) feel tragically underdeveloped.

2) Try more unlikely collaborations. Working with Shia and Johnny Depp seemed to reinvigorate him and expand the scope of what Manson seemed at that point able to produce. Or better yet, reach out to some of your former band members. How awesome would it be to able to make the whole experience feel like it's come full circle by having Daisy or Zum or John 5 appear on a track?

3) Politically/artistically motivated actions, not Large live set pieces, are what caught people's attention. It was the little performance art pieces like the bible readings, flag burnings etc, that really shocked people. Manson has seemed to have forgotten this. As if by us asking him to be more "theatrical" we meant more lights, props and scenery.

4) Don't take keyboards for granted. Ever since Pogo left, that dimension of the music has been more or less absent. The previous albums had a degree of atmosphere and ambient sound that really gave the music character. I'm glad that an effort was made on Born Villain to make it more integral again, but it's time to get a full time, dedicated keyboard player again. Maybe a chick. There's never been a chick in the band and it's no fair that all of your female fans have someone to lust over on stage and us guys don't.

5) Give me a reason to listen to an album from start to finish again. Don't just put out a collection of tracks. ACSS, MA, HW, they are all like The Wall or Sgt. Pepper's. I can't just throw on one track, I have to listen to the whole album or else I feel like I'm missing something. And packaging is a big part of this. Give me something I can't get anywhere else, because the album art and liner notes on the last few records look like any other liner notes for any other band. When did Marilyn Manson become satisfied with being any other band?

6) Merch matters. This band used to have the best shirts. You all know what I mean. Back in the day a MM T-Shirt was designed to piss people off, to capture people's attention, to give you something to think about. Now they're just sloppy graphics that look like they were fan made and sold in the parking lot.

7) Stop telling us how big of a rock star you are and be one. I'm talking about interviews here. The most rock and roll thing you can do is to actually have something to say again. Dick jokes are fine, nobody just wants to read the same "I'm such a badass rock star. I shave swastikas into girl's pubes! Remember Columbine!" script over and over again.

8) Stop listening to yes-men. Stop listening to anyone!

9) Remember when you said you'd never be caught dead in jeans and a T-Shirt? Open your closet and burn all of your hoodies. Remember when you said you agree with the sentiment that the suit makes the man? Be a fashion statement.

10) Write another book. Show all of the haters and casual fans what they've been missing all these years. If the last few records have been about becoming a man again then let us really get a look at the man behind the image. This is your chance to let us really look behind the scenes of MA, HW, GAOG, to open the vault on a lot of things.

^ You've obviously put a lot of thought into this, and I agree with a lot of what you have to say, particularly about the need to fully re-integrate keyboards and synths into the band's sound, as well as our mutual desire for a visually and lyrically unique era. But do you actually think the next album could be Manson's last?

I think LWF should have been his last.

EMDM could very well have been a solo record given that it basically had a full lineup change and dramatically different approach to song writing. THEOL sounds like a solo record too because it's so personal in nature and the production is raw.

Not man enough to b human Manson15Marilyn's Avatar

I would like it to go the way its been going, only further.

Less dark, more tame and mellow--yet with more 'groove', and lyrics like he's been writing the passed two albums.
    I am your vulture, your immoral sculpture, mirrorman who understands. I know you. I am you, your fantasy, reality.

Don't be surprised I can look you in the eye. It's hard to take you serious when you take me inside.

How the fuck are we supposed to know when I'm a monster in the way you refuse to die? How the fuck are we supposed to know if we're in love or if we're in pain?
    "Are we in love or are we in pain?"

I think this thread asks a bigger question about what we expect artists to become when they get old, and what they're supposed to represent in the bigger picture. How can Manson still create vital music that's as important or more than what he's already done?

Obviously he has to keep maturing as an artist or a performer or else become total self-parody, a la David Lee Roth. Nobody wants to see a 50 year-old in eyeliner and leather crawl around a stage and hitting on girls. This is also why most bands become terrible--they lack the self-awareness to stop being 25.

Similar to Cringeon, he'd do well going back to the stripped down half of THEOL, writing minimal music and exposing his limitations vocally whether it's guitar-based or even electronic if it's done right. Not EBM, but more experimental similar to Low by David Bowie, Cold House by Hood, Portishead's Third, etc. Other artists come to mind who've gone a similar route, and have made their most visceral music in or beyond their 40's... Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, Patti Smith, Gil-Scott Heron and Tom Waits.

Don't see it happening but I'd LOVE to see MM try something similar to The National's High Violet. No Marshall-stack power chords or dick-wagging, but they've never been his style or audience.