Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "It's kind of like a little more of a punk rock Mechanical Animals"

Visions of Massacre VisionsofMassacre's Avatar

Default "It's kind of like a little more of a punk rock Mechanical Animals"

That's what Twiggy said back in late 2010/early 2011 in an interview, regarding the bands then-unheard album Born Villain. Do you agree with Twiggys statement ?

Also, sorry for making three different threads in a week, I'm just really happy that I finally found a place to talk Manson =]
    "Light a candle for the sinners, set the world on fire."

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

I kind of get the comparison from the musical side. It's got more songs with the slutty swagger (SloMo, Pistol Whipped, Disengaged) which I connect more with Dope Show and the MA vibe. There's other songs that I think fit in with the punkier MA tracks, like HCW, Gardner, Flowers. BV is definitely not as melancholy.

Well if you think about it. Punk Rock is different from Punk. It has a Jim Morrison feel to be completely honest. I think Twiggy was right on the money personally. I would say there were plenty more genres involved than just Punk Rock though.

Quote Originally Posted by VisionsofMassacre View Post
    That's what Twiggy said back in late 2010/early 2011 in an interview, regarding the bands then-unheard album Born Villain. Do you agree with Twiggys statement ?

Also, sorry for making three different threads in a week, I'm just really happy that I finally found a place to talk Manson =]
    Some elements, yes, and some elements not so much.

Not man enough to b human Manson15Marilyn's Avatar

Ehh. I think I agree more with Manson who said it was "very bluesy."
    I am your vulture, your immoral sculpture, mirrorman who understands. I know you. I am you, your fantasy, reality.

Don't be surprised I can look you in the eye. It's hard to take you serious when you take me inside.

How the fuck are we supposed to know when I'm a monster in the way you refuse to die? How the fuck are we supposed to know if we're in love or if we're in pain?
    "Are we in love or are we in pain?"

I think that it's only common thing with Mechanical Animals is that most of the album sounds very new for Marilyn Manson. It's a very different take on the band, to me. Maybe only two songs sound like the common Manson sound.

Fast Food Nude. Whisky And Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loftvoker View Post
    Some elements, yes, and some elements not so much.
    Yes I agree, and to be more precise, some elements are punk/post punk and some of them are bluesy with the punk spirit tossed in ALA the birthday party and some songs are just traditional hard rock like disengaged, LDYGA and murderers are getting prettier.

Born Villain has no punk sounds on it sonically or even musically - I don't know how Twiggy worked that one out. I can't hear any similarities to The Clash, The Dead Kennedys, The Saints, Leftover Crack, The Pistols or anything. Let's actually remember what punk is and what it sounds like, genres are important. On top of that, MM is practically a stadium rock band so that kind of takes it away from the punk thing as well.
    Last edited by 1984; 10-26-2012 at 11:14 PM.

The No Reflection riff sounds fairly punk rock to me.

But I prefer to think he was referring to a punk rock "attitude" moreso than anything else.

In someways I agree and in others I don't. I think certain songs may compare to MA in terms of swagger. But it's black-eyed stripper compared to MA's playboy playmate.

I always read that comment as "Mechanical-Animals-Except-a-Bit-More-Rough-Around-the-Edges" and consequently have no problem with that description.