Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Marijuana Legalization

Muddy Knees

Quote Originally Posted by FeedYourHead View Post
    It infuriates me how ONE MAN (gov. Cuomo) can prevent an entire state from moving forward with this, despite the LARGE majority of NY citizens expressing a favorable opinion of legalization, consistently, in every poll taken over the years. Even worse, the reason he opposes it is because he's thinking about running for president and won't be successful if he legalizes gay marriage AND medicinal marijuana. Fucking fuck, America.
    That is pretty bullshit where one man can hold back an entire state, but give it time for a bit. We are currently undergoing this domino effect, and we'll soon see more politicians come out in favor enough to allow for more accessible voting initiatives. In the meantime, most politicians are probably going to wait to see how the federal government responds and how regulation works in these two states before putting forward their own laws. It will take some getting used to first, but I have high hopes for the near future. Expecting Massachusetts, California, Oregon, Maine and Nevada to come next based on their demographic and trends.

Arkansas just had a vote on it and it was 49 to 51 against it. I know it will be legal one day but I don't think it will ever be like alcohol. I think it will be a very long time until we can just buy them like cigarettes and light up anywhere.

Muddy Knees

Arkansas is one of the top 10 most conservative states in the nation; not expecting too much out of them presently. Even so, at least Arkansas has initiatives in place.

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.ph..._or_referendum

I think Cuomo's stance will end up backfiring. How easy would it be for his opposition to run an ad that says "If he didn't listen to the people of New York, how can we trust him to listen to the people of America?"

Also, I'm very interested to see how this conflict between state and federal agendas plays out. Has there ever been an instance of states forcing the federal government's hand in such a way? Usually it's always played out the other way around, with states ultimately overruled with an amendment or Supreme Court decision. But those situations tended to be about old state laws being overturned, not new state laws attempting to overturn Uncle Sam.

^ Another great reason why everyone needs to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by AssetReign View Post
    ^ Another great reason why everyone needs to vote.
    Not applicable when the issue can't even make it to the polls because the governor refuses to put it on a ballot.

^ I meant the bigger picture of replacing the governor (generically speaking.)

Historically economics always wins out over so called morals in the US. Make the idea attractive enough to big business and the legislation will pass at the federal level. That being said, I would love to see it stay in the hands of small business owners along the line of current organic produce growers. Grow local, buy local, pay some taxes and everybody wins.
    "Even smiling makes my face ache."

I'm from Colorado and we've had it medicinally legal for awhile so this legalization is no surprise. Not much of a stoner anyway, but it's possible to get banned again when I'm released from the government.